New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Will question?

3 replies 556 views
mariejadermariejader Forumite
406 posts
Can anyone with any family law knowledge answer a question please?

If you are a executor of a will and also beneficiary if the will is changed should you be notified?

Reason for question is another executor has decided that the original will was not to their liking and has taken elderly parent to have said will changed?

Should the solicitor have notified the executors?

Replies

• Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the will changed under duress
    :j Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End :j

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No , executors act after death.

You can change a will however and whenever you like , adding or removing executors.

But the duress point above is valid , the solicitor should make sure that the person has mental capacity
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 74jax74jax Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mariejader wrote: »
    Can anyone with any family law knowledge answer a question please?

If you are a executor of a will and also beneficiary if the will is changed should you be notified?

Reason for question is another executor has decided that the original will was not to their liking and has taken elderly parent to have said will changed?

Should the solicitor have notified the executors?

No. You could be a beneficiary and / or executor and not know until after death.

A solicitor should make sure the will change is what the person wants. And understands /accepts the change.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....