»

Benefits & money earned from music streaming

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Benefits & money earned from music streaming

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
4 replies 760 views
OstravaOstrava Forumite
38 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
I have to live on ESA and PIP due to my health. In the infrequent moments when I'm well enough, I make music on my computer as a hobby. I found a streaming service that distributes music on the internet and thought it would be cool if someone listened to my music.

What didn't occur to me was that I might actually make some money from it. I logged into my account yesterday to discover that my track ended up getting thousands of streams, earning me the princely sum of £70 over the course of two months.

Being on income related ESA this presents a problem. Should I call the DWP and inform them about the money? To be honest I am reluctant to do this because of my previous experience with them, causing me to go into debt and rent arrears for weeks until they fixed their mistake.

Should I tell them, or is the sum too low? I would appreciate advice on this.

Replies