16 replies 4.1K views
2»

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lindens wrote: »
    Someone tried this scam on me about 20 years ago lol. as old as the hills (except it was a cheque not paypal)

I think I first saw this scam as a seller around 20 years ago as well, a cheque for me as well. The scammers are getting lazy now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • in_the_Cotswoldsin_the_Cotswolds Forumite
    803 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Always go through your Paypal account. Then when they complain you haven't sent it say I'm still waiting for the money to go into my account.
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you send out a thousand scam hooks a day it doesn't take long for a few to bite.

These scams still work on a few because they are desperate to sell and don't live online like a lot of us so aren't really up to speed on these types of scams.
  • scook7scook7 Forumite
    1 posts
    I have just had an email from a person supposing to be Laura Paige and asking to buy an item on Gumtree and to pay via Paypal and a courier will collect it. Can't believe this is still going on. Sounds so dodgy! Reported to cyber crime website although I am sure they are overwhelmed with reports.
  • mat1729mat1729 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    01 Oct 2019
    I just received a reply to my Gumtree ad. I think it's a scam from [email protected]...

He/She are still at it. I got one today from [email protected] very similar wording:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to me being work offshore. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and I'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? 

Best Regard.
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try something like this..https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49871448