Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Very threatening letter from Thames Water

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Very threatening letter from Thames Water

edited 16 October 2019 at 12:40PM in Water Bills
1 reply 2.4K views
WatfordBeanWatfordBean Forumite
1 posts
edited 16 October 2019 at 12:40PM in Water Bills
Hello,

I have received a very threatening letter from Thames Water.

They have requested that I make a payment of £2,609.67 within the next 7 days. This relates to a property that I rented one bedroom in for about a year, four years ago.

The property that I lived in at that time had all bills covered by the landlady. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of that tenancy agreement but an old housemate of mine sent me her copy which states the same - Landlady to cover all utilities.

I have also never had an account with Thames Water, they have provided no information as to when the debt applies, simply a "pay this amount now".

I assume what has happened is that my landlady has not been paying her bills for the past few years, Thames Water have found that I spent some time at the property and now they are trying to stuff me for the full amount...

Interestingly, the phone number that they gave me to contact them on does not appear to be a Thames Water phone number, but the letter and envelope was Thames Water letterhead.

My question is, what do I do? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

Replies

• Flt._Lt._BigglesFlt._Lt._Biggles Forumite
    300 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hello,

I have received a very threatening letter from Thames Water.

They have requested that I make a payment of £2,609.67 within the next 7 days. This relates to a property that I rented one bedroom in for about a year, four years ago.

The property that I lived in at that time had all bills covered by the landlady. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of that tenancy agreement but an old housemate of mine sent me her copy which states the same - Landlady to cover all utilities.

I have also never had an account with Thames Water, they have provided no information as to when the debt applies, simply a "pay this amount now".

I assume what has happened is that my landlady has not been paying her bills for the past few years, Thames Water have found that I spent some time at the property and now they are trying to stuff me for the full amount...

My question is, what do I do? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks!

If you have received a communication that you feel is threatening in content, then you should contact the police immediately, and they will investigate :)