Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Have you seen any good films recently - Page 620

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Have you seen any good films recently

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
6.4K replies 374.2K views

Replies

• edited 26 September 2019 at 1:15PM
    coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 September 2019 at 1:15PM
    I watched Ad Astra last night. Personally really liked it, though perhaps crucially, made sure I knew nothing about it beforehand.

It shares a lot with 'Hard Sci-Fi' films such as 2001: ASO and Moon. Sparse, tense, art-house, technical, but with some moments of intense action. Sure, there are some implausibles, but... Some stunning, mind-boggling visuals, too. Will probably go back and watch it again.

9.337/10.

• edited 25 September 2019 at 6:12PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2019 at 6:12PM
    I saw it last week. I thought it was okay.

I can see what they were aiming for but for me it was a classic case of trying to hit multiple genres and failing in all of them. Also, the physics/practical issues didn't impress me. Perhaps I didn't understand it, but I thought the overall premise was weak.

2001 and Moon are classics by comparison.
    Ex Board Guide
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    Alita: Battle Angel 2019

Great film

Plenty of action, effects and great landscapes.

Emotional aspect too.

Kept attention.

Loved Alita and Hugo.

Appears very original
    Agreed. Watched this at the weekend also. My wife wasn't for it but really enjoyed it after giving it a chance.

Another that i wanted to watch which she wasn't really in to but ended up really enjoying was Baby Driver. Love what they did with the music editing on that too.

• I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aladdin (2019)

Great film

Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, Genie and Monkey :rotfl: were great.

Can't remember the original. (heard the song 'A Whole New World' before, might have an old track)
  • SpidernickSpidernick Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joker had the makings of a great film but, for me, there was something missing, although I can't quite say what. It was fine, but I left feeling it could have been so much better. Personally I don't see an Oscar nomination coming for Joaquin Pheonix, which I thought might be a possibility from looking at the trailer, but I may be wrong.

(For anyone who sees it, don't wait for a post-credit scene, as there isn't one).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Joker ...

I saw this on Saturday, too. I've been mulling over what to say about it since then.

First off, this is another extraordinarily good performances by Joaquin Phoenix. It's just so good.

The film's tone is necessarily grim. It's grim from start to finish. The first half of the film also grinds its way quite slowly through the dregs of the backstory.

Is it "good", though? Overall, I'm not sure. It certainly hangs very squarely on one central performance with little else to redeem it. Does it have something enlightening or useful to say about mental illness? Not really.

Best Actor? - plausible.

Best Film? - no way.
    Ex Board Guide
  • I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joker (2019)

Don't know what to make of it. Dark / disturbing.

Didn't read-up about the film before going to see it though heard stories about USA bans and police presence.

Probably will be a cult film. :rotfl:

Was it suppose to be funny in a warped way :eek:

There are some :eek: moments. Did drag a bit. Not particularly original in its theme.

Few people in the cinema clapped :rotfl:
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Joker had the makings of a great film but, for me, there was something missing,
    Agreed.

As was said after you, it dragged a bit. I think that was the issue for me, it just seemed to take forever to get going and that whole laughing on and on and on and on and on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn thing was annoying. I know it was to illustrate his mental state, his condition, but it's ok, i get it, you don't need to keep him laughing for 5 minutes solid!

I don't mind a dark film so it's not that. I have no problem whatsoever with dark humour or violent films so it's not that.

But i don't know, i was just left feeling very disappointed in it after thinking it would be superb.

Watched Gemini Man at the weekend. Much better watch. Ok i'm not calling it a great film but it was a decent watch so long as you're not daft enough to take those kinds of films too seriously. The action scenes were disappointing in that the young Will's movements were so computerised and so obvious but aside from that it was a decent watch.

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gemini Man - Saw this yesterday. I thought it was disappointing even by own its genre standards. It comes to something when there is a great candidate for "like this, but better" from the same actor - Enemy of the State.

Gemini Man is quite a flabby film - it could have easily shed 30 minutes of runtime. It's fully 45 minutes before the heralded subject matter of the film is even mentioned (up to then, it's a run-of-the-mill how-does-a-spy-retire? film).

The action scenes are good, but form only a small part of the film.
    Ex Board Guide
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Deadwood film the other night haven't seen the series although I was aware what it was like.