edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
20 replies 3.7K views
2»

Replies

• Fen1Fen1 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Never give a cat cow's milk. Most cats are lactose intolerant. Cats should only be given water to drink.
  • mtbbuxtonmtbbuxton Forumite
    327 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    After a lot of looking around for a high quality food, I've settled on this for my Siamese.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q%3DBozita%26catl%3D3Cat%3EWet%20Cat%20Food%3EBozita%26cats%3D3Cat%253EWet%2520Cat%2520Food%253EBozita

It's over 95% meat so keeps her fuller for longer. It's also excellent value for money :money:

It's only available online, but delivery is quick. You could also have a look at some of the natural chew treats available to provide stimulation and help with dental health - dehydrated chicken, other meats and fish for example.

M x
  • edited 14 October 2019 at 8:36PM
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October 2019 at 8:36PM
    BACKTOBACK wrote: »
    My Kitten is around 9 months old now. He really likes Felix AGAIL Kitten pouches but they do not fill him up. In a morning after he wakes me up at 6am :( he will eat a full pouch and still be so hungry he will meow for more food and then eat a bowl of go cat kitten biscuits.
    I know they may not be the best quality foods but he does like them and i am on a budget.

Would it be any better if i bought the Felix Adult AGAIL pouches? Would they fill him up more or do i really need wait until he is 12 months old?

Is your kitten a healthy weight for his age? Are his toilet habits normal/ healthy? It is not usually recommended to restrict kittens' meals so that they get really hungry. Either feed more frequently or leave something down all the time ('grazing').

Kitten food should be more nutritious than the corresponding adult food. BUT dry biscuits tend to be loaded with grains, which represent quite poor nutrition for an obligate carnivore (must eat meat or animal-based proteins). IMO they are a false economy for growing kittens because they need to eat loads.

Canned cat foods can work out much better value than pouches. Own brands are often cheaper than branded cat foods. Wilko make some decent quality pet foods and high meat content treats: there are customer reviews on the website and, YES, Wilko do publish negatives of their own-brand products. :p

For an adult cat - or alternated with a decent kitten food - Butchers Classic in jelly and Butchers Really Meaty are well priced: £2.60 to £3 for six large (400g) tins. So the equivalent of 24 pouches! The Classic variants also come in packs of 12 or 24 large cans depending where you shop.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Fen1 wrote: »
    I am a volunteer with an animal rescue. I am not a professional, but I have a fair amount of experience with different cats and different owners.

What does your vet say? Is he concerned?

Is the kitten neutered? Wormed and deflead?

What is his build? How much he should be eating is determined by that, not a blank age group. There can be a huge difference between two kitties. I once handled two siblings who differed radically. The male could be neutered at 4 months, but his sister had to wait until she was six months as she was so petite. She was completely healthy, just petite.

Your cat may be a grazer. He may need 3 or 4, or even more , small meals a day. Feeding him only twice a day may not suit his personality or digestion.

Have a genuine variety of foods. Cats get bored with the same food for every meal every day. Wouldn't you get bored of the same sodding meal every single day? I always keep a variety of brands with different textures and different flavours. I have about three different foods in rotation at a time ( lucky I have a fridge.) I have two cats myself. One will happily eat raw along with tinned, the other won't. They also have their own distinct likes and dislikes. Each cat is an individual, so what may suit one cat may definitely not suit another!

Look at the ingredients list of Go Cat, whiskas etc. Then look at the ingredients list of something like lily's, Applaws, Canagan. There's a reason why the cheap brands are cheap: they are full of cruddy fillers that cats don't need like sugar, cereals, colourings. Cats are obligate carnivores. Giving them coloured sugary cereal is ridiculous.
    :T

exactly. Poor kitten, pouches are often full of sugar. Give him some decent cat food like Smilla, Bozita, Animondy carni - zooplus online. Kitten food is just a way for manufacturers to make more money out of pet owners
  • UKTigerlilyUKTigerlily Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mtbbuxton wrote: »
    After a lot of looking around for a high quality food, I've settled on this for my Siamese.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q%3DBozita%26catl%3D3Cat%3EWet%20Cat%20Food%3EBozita%26cats%3D3Cat%253EWet%2520Cat%2520Food%253EBozita

It's over 95% meat so keeps her fuller for longer. It's also excellent value for money :money:

It's only available online, but delivery is quick. You could also have a look at some of the natural chew treats available to provide stimulation and help with dental health - dehydrated chicken, other meats and fish for example.

M x

This link doesn't work for me, but the wet Bozita isn't high meat content (yet i'm positive it used to be, as i've fed it before for that reason)

Is the website wrong, am I confused?
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This link doesn't work for me, but the wet Bozita isn't high meat content (yet i'm positive it used to be, as i've fed it before for that reason)

Is the website wrong, am I confused?

The Bozita wet foods I just checked on Zooplus are high meat content. The bracketed percentage refers to the named flavour only (eg. liver, crayfish).

For example the first (main) ingredient for each of the tetrapack Bozita in jelly is chicken, no added grains or starches and no vegetable proteins.

The canned pate-style Bozita are more variable in the main meat(s) but still no added grains or starches and no vegetable proteins.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • TripleHTripleH Forumite
    611 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Our youngest still eats a lot (he's nearly 3) but his appetite has lessened over time as (I suspect) his metabolism slows. At one point he did look to be becoming a little chubby, but i think he was growing and is now quite slender mainly due to his playful lifestyle.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
  • GreenQueenGreenQueen Forumite
    525 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Have a genuine variety of foods. Cats get bored with the same food for every meal every day. Wouldn't you get bored of the same sodding meal every single day?

Most cats I've had would agree with that, but one little fella would only eat chicken flavour dried food - what he had been fed by the cat rescue. Even changing it to lamb would mean that it got left and fish was a complete no-no, he wouldn't touch wet food... very much knew what he liked and liked what he knew!

They are all different and have their own quirks.
    2020 - banish the clutter - 8/2020
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but the title should be 'I am not feeding my kitten enough'

There are cheaper high quality foods as linked above, Zooplus does some good ones like Animonda Carney, Smilla or Bozita, all higher meat that what you are giving.

I dont personally believe in kitten foods, cat food is cat food and if its high quality it will have more nutrition than a crap kitten food.
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    my vet said the kitten foods are useless for most cats after 6 months and to change them to adult food. they were on 3 pouches a day at that age
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *