»

What's happened to Samsung laptop - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

What's happened to Samsung laptop

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
118 replies 3.4K views
13468912

Replies

  • EveryWhereEveryWhere PPR
    3.2K posts
    PPR ✭✭✭✭
    john240870 wrote: »
    Hi thanks I understand taking it to a shop is a waste of money but im completely a IT idiot and don't know what im doing. i need to try and get all the data of this ssd and on to a new one i have the old hdd. Will I be able to take out the ssd and plug the hdd in will it come straight on or will I need to change settings?

    Is that the only laptop/PC you have at your disposal? Buy the caddy, Put SSD in caddy. Plug caddy in to any laptop/PC. copy any data that you wish to keep.

    Then you can try to install Windows 10 in Legacy Mode. No more UEFI. So take it out of UEFI Mode and leave it out of UEFI Mode.

    Hopefully that will do the trick.

    If you have nothing on the SSD that you wish to save, then you can skip the caddy and just create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD, deleting all of the old partitions during the install.

    Will be on hand to guide you through if necessary.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    Is that the only laptop/PC you have at your disposal? Buy the caddy, Put SSD in caddy. Plug caddy in to any laptop/PC. copy any data that you wish to keep.

    Then you can try to install Windows 10 in Legacy Mode. No more UEFI. So take it out of UEFI Mode and leave it out of UEFI Mode.

    Hopefully that will do the trick.

    If you have nothing on the SSD that you wish to save, then you can skip the caddy and just create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD, deleting all of the old partitions during the install.

    Will be on hand to guide you through if necessary.
    Hi thanks for your help How do I do this. create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD. I was running window 8. Also it sounds like the ssd is faulty so how can I get the info of it. Sorry for being a complete thicko.
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere PPR
    3.2K posts
    PPR ✭✭✭✭
    john240870 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your help How do I do this. create installation media. Then to install Windows 10 to the SSD. I was running window 8. Also it sounds like the ssd is faulty so how can I get the info of it. Sorry for being a complete thicko.

    Have you got access to another PC/laptop? You'll also need a USB Flash drive of at least 8GB in capacity.

    You can reinstall Windows 8.1 Update 3 or move over to Windows 10.

    Windows 8.1 Update 3 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

    Windows 10 version 1903 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

    Alternatively you can utilise Rufus; https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.8/rufus-3.8.exe
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/18/rufus-3-5-with-windows-10-and-8-1-download-option/

    In this case, under Partition Scheme, you would choose MBR from the dropdown list.

    I suggest moving to Windows 10 at this stage, as hopefully you won't need to concern yourself with the installation of Drivers.

    You should also disable Fast Boot;

    PQCHI.jpg

    in addition to Secure Boot, if you have not already done so; MNUOH.jpg

    and enable CSM. But I guess that you have already done so.

    We don't know if the SSD is faulty. It could be that the battery falling out triggered a crash dump to the NVRAM, as described in The Register.

    Since Samsung doesn't supply firmware updates on their own, there is no easy way to run a BIOS recovery. So hopefully instead of UEFI/GPT, you can utilise CSM/MBR to install the operating system.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    Have you got access to another PC/laptop? You'll also need a USB Flash drive of at least 8GB in capacity.

    You can reinstall Windows 8.1 Update 3 or move over to Windows 10.

    Windows 8.1 Update 3 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

    Windows 10 version 1903 here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

    Alternatively you can utilise Rufus; https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.8/rufus-3.8.exe
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/18/rufus-3-5-with-windows-10-and-8-1-download-option/

    In this case, under Partition Scheme, you would choose MBR from the dropdown list.

    I suggest moving to Windows 10 at this stage, as hopefully you won't need to concern yourself with the installation of Drivers.

    You should also disable Fast Boot;

    PQCHI.jpg

    in addition to Secure Boot, if you have not already done so; MNUOH.jpg

    and enable CSM. But I guess that you have already done so.

    We don't know if the SSD is faulty. It could be that the battery falling out triggered a crash dump to the NVRAM, as described in The Register.

    Since Samsung doesn't supply firmware updates on their own, there is no easy way to run a BIOS recovery. So hopefully instead of UEFI/GPT, you can utilise CSM/MBR to install the operating system.
    Hi Iam now back on the Samsung laptop I took out the SSD and put in the old HDD in and its all working. But there is nothing on the HDD just windows 8 what's the best way of copying everything from the SSD to the HDD every thing was on the HDD and was copied over on to the SSD I would of thought everything stayed on the HDD but sadly not.
  • edited 11 October 2019 at 8:56AM
    grumpycrabgrumpycrab
    4.4K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 October 2019 at 8:56AM
    john240870 wrote: »
    Hi Iam now back on the Samsung laptop I took out the SSD and put in the old HDD in and its all working. But there is nothing on the HDD just windows 8 ...every thing was on the HDD and was copied over on to the SSD I would of thought everything stayed on the HDD but sadly not.
    Perhaps you moved (rather than copied) stuff from HDD to SSD?
    john240870 wrote: »
    what's the best way of copying everything from the SSD to the HDD
    Use a caddy ->
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    I already told you what to do. Taking it to a shop is likely to be a waste of money.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-2-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-SATA-HDD-SSD-Caddy-Case-For-LAPTOP-PC-UK/233311294096
    Hi Ive just bought this. Lets hope its easy to swap the info over. I will need babysitting to sort the transfer over. So will be back when it arrives.
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere PPR
    3.2K posts
    PPR ✭✭✭✭
    john240870 wrote: »
    Hi Ive just bought this. Lets hope its easy to swap the info over. I will need babysitting to sort the transfer over. So will be back when it arrives.

    If you can access the data at all, it would mean that the SSD is still working. So after saving the data you need, you can then just reinstall Windows 10 to it.
    If you cannot access the data at all and it turns out that the SSD has failed, you can return it for replacement. It has a five year warranty.
    Returning to a slow HDD won't be much fun.
  • Its arrived.
    As I have the Samsung laptop up and running can I plug it into this computer? To hopefully copy everything over. Fingers crossed.
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere PPR
    3.2K posts
    PPR ✭✭✭✭
    john240870 wrote: »
    Its arrived.
    As I have the Samsung laptop up and running can I plug it into this computer? To hopefully copy everything over. Fingers crossed.

    Have you fitted the SSD within the cady?
  • yes SSD is in the Caddy
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms