edited 5 October 2019 at 10:48PM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
26 replies 1.7K views
13»

Replies

• KiKiKiKi Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the OP: I wouldn't get into 'hiring' and training. It's too complex and feels like you're possibly over-engineering a solution.

Get better at networking. Find others in the same position as you, who have the right skills sets. Create networking groups where you live, and get together to share ideas etc...and then you can start identifying people who might be great to work with you on particular projects. And it works both ways - those associates then offer you work as well. Network online, or through existing groups in your areas as well. You may also have a professional body / association which has networking opportunities.

Much easier to just bring people in through association / recommendation, than by 'hiring' and training. But it does take work to network properly. It's a real investment in time, but one that does pay off.

HTH
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Guesses wrote: »
    Looking at the replies to Spersonos's first post in this thread, that's not a good idea (the suggestion was it's tax evasion?).
    It may not just be tax evasion. You could also be creating an employment contract, having obligations to pay the minimum wage etc. Even volunteering can do that if organisations aren't careful. If you aren't creating an actual job, what are you creating? Can that person turn up when they want, refuse work, ask someone else to do the work, compete with you for the work...? Even zero hours workers have rights.
  • PotbellypigPotbellypig Forumite
    659 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Guesses wrote: »

I'd love to give some other keen, young people some of the opportunities I was given - ideally before they go to university and spend thousands on a pointless degree. It's sad I'm unable to do so.

No-one's saying you can't. You just have to follow all the laws associated.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to give some other keen, young people some of the opportunities I was given - ideally before they go to university and spend thousands on a pointless degree. It's sad I'm unable to do so.

All you need to do is expand your filmmaking business until you have enough work to do that you can offer a paying job to runners.

I would love my business to be ten times the size it is as well, but there's no point being sad about it. I've done the best I could to make it to its current size and being sad isn't going to make it bigger.

Alternative, if they aren't going to pay their way, get them to pay you for training courses in filmmaking. As far as I'm aware there's very little regulation around offering filmmaking training courses to adults.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the replies to Spersonos's first post in this thread, that's not a good idea (the suggestion was it's tax evasion?).

Hiring a freelancer on a short-term contract is not tax evasion.

Employing somebody on a permanent basis but pretending they're a short-term freelancer is tax evasion.
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Supersonos wrote: »
    You are aware I haven't done anything yet, right? And I agree that I'm naiive, but that's why I'm here trying to get information.

So far, what you've said has taught me nothing. What are the risks? And how would this affect my reputation?

I'd concur that you sound hugely naive - and as for being 'taught nothing' by the post you are whining about, maybe it has taught you that you are well and truly out of your depth?

If you don't understand reputational risk, probably better that you don't inflict your 'training' on other people.