New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Shadowing a Tracker Fund?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Savings & Investments
21 replies 1.1K views
TwointhebushTwointhebush Forumite
104 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Savings & Investments
If I were to copy the percentages of investments in a tracker fund, would that save or cost me more money? Maybe tracker funds are constantly being modified and I wouldn't be able to keep up anyway?

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be cripplingly expensive and ridiculous to even try.
  • MarkCarnageMarkCarnage Forumite
    421 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would you want to do that? It costs buttons to buy and hold one? The costs of continued replication not to mention time spent would be horrendous.
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your pot size? The smallest member of the FTSE100, to take an example, is 1/500th the size of the index. So unless you have perhaps £1M to invest the faffing around with trivial holdings would not be worth the effort.

Although the constituents of the index dont change that much you have the time and cost of re-investing the dividends.
  • edited 8 October 2019 at 9:28PM
    AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2019 at 9:28PM
    Not to mention the huge minimum investment and complete inability to reinvest dividends appropriately.
    Imagine trying to replicate VLS80 and buying 3,500 equities world wide plus I don't know how many bonds across oerhaps 20 different stock markets. . And probably minimum size of a(edit) hundreds of millions
    Even the FTSE 100 would likely have a minimum investment size of at guess £100k or so. Edit make that several million due to dividend reinvestment minimum sizes.
    There would be no issue "keeping up" though once you've spent your several million because they aren't constantly being modified.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    76K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Linton wrote: »

Although the constituents of the index dont change that much you have the time and cost of re-investing the dividends.

Every quarter 3 are relegated and 3 promoted. That's 24 transactions a year.

Depending upon the weighting given to the new entrants in the index. That will require the portfolio to be rebalanced every so often.
    "The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion ... draws all things else to support and agree with it." - Francis Bacon (1561 – 1626)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if you prorated VLS to that, something getting towards one thousand transactions a year.
    Before you did any rebalancing for the new entrants or for dividend reinvestment.
    :rotfl:
  • jim1999jim1999 Forumite
    115 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    It's possible to do it with VLS if you buy the constituent ETFs / funds that make it up (I think around 8-10). It does shave a small amount off the fees, but for the vast majority would not be worthwhile for that reason alone.
  • MaxiRobriguezMaxiRobriguez Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Transactions costs money.

If you make thousands of them to replicate an index then you pay a thousand times transactions costs.

If you buy an index fund you pay once.

Index funds can shoulder the cost because they're splitting transaction fees over thousands and thousands of customers.

You stand zero chance of bettering an index funds on the cost front. Zero.
  • barnstar2077barnstar2077 Forumite
    564 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    jim1999 wrote: »
    It's possible to do it with VLS if you buy the constituent ETFs / funds that make it up (I think around 8-10). It does shave a small amount off the fees, but for the vast majority would not be worthwhile for that reason alone.

I could see someone using a VLS fund, or any fund of funds, as a starting point. So, say you like the look of one of those funds but you want less exposure to the american market, you could replicate the funds but adjust the percentage allotted to the S&P 500. However, normally you could probably just find another fund that already does it.

I suppose in a way I am doing this by buying the VLS 100 and bond funds separately, instead of buying a VLS that already has bonds in it.
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • MarkCarnageMarkCarnage Forumite
    421 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I could see someone using a VLS fund, or any fund of funds, as a starting point. So, say you like the look of one of those funds but you want less exposure to the american market, you could replicate the funds but adjust the percentage allotted to the S&P 500. However, normally you could probably just find another fund that already does it.

I suppose in a way I am doing this by buying the VLS 100 and bond funds separately, instead of buying a VLS that already has bonds in it.
    In which case you are creating a bespoke allocation using tracker funds, presumably actively managed to reflect your own views on asset allocation. Which is a different thing from the original question, which everyone agrees makes no sense.