New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Swimming hat for men

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
25 replies 4.1K views
Thomas_HoldingThomas_Holding Forumite
173 posts
100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Has anyone bought one of these, any good places? I need one as I keep getting ear infections.

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realise they were not unisex!
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They're just rubber (Speedo etc) hats... watch the swimming in televised Games, eg Youtube of Olympic Games, or Commonwealth Games - and even probably diving (some might wear hats). And water polo. Lots of water sports - they all wear the same sort.

They're just thick rubber tight caps, unisex.
  • grahamgoograhamgoo Forumite
    339 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I didn't think swim caps kept water out of the ears. Would swimmers ear plugs be a better choice?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    grahamgoo wrote: »
    I didn't think swim caps kept water out of the ears.
    They don't. They primarily protect the swimmer's hair from the damaging effect of chlorine...
  • jeradonjeradon Forumite
    78 posts
    You can buy ear plugs at any drug store. Just ask for swimmers type ones.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thomas_HoldingThomas_Holding Forumite
    173 posts
    Thank you all. I will sadly need hats and plugs as I get colds often and need to keep my hair dry.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colds are caused by a virus, not by having wet hair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    173 posts
    elsien wrote: »
    Colds are caused by a virus, not by having wet hair.
    True but exposure to the cold and wet does not help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I get colds often and need to keep my hair dry.
    It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

If you have long hair and you wear a latex cap, it will assist in keeping your hair out of the water.

What swim caps will do generally is make it easier to wear goggles, as they provide a smooth surface for the strap and won't get tangled in your hair.

If you want to keep your hair dry you'll need to wear a cap and only swim breast stroke thereby keeping your head out of the water.

"Colds" which regular swimmers get are often more a reaction to getting chlorinated water in the nasal passages, so you might find a nose clip of assistance...
    173 posts
    It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

If you have long hair and you wear a latex cap, it will assist in keeping your hair out of the water.

What swim caps will do generally is make it easier to wear goggles, as they provide a smooth surface for the strap and won't get tangled in your hair.

If you want to keep your hair dry you'll need to wear a cap and only swim breast stroke thereby keeping your head out of the water.

"Colds" which regular swimmers get are often more a reaction to getting chlorinated water in the nasal passages, so you might find a nose clip of assistance...
    Thanks for that, I have to do back stroke as otherwise I get back pain.
    I have not a swimming cap before - so I thought that it did keep your hair dry.