Swimming hat for men

Has anyone bought one of these, any good places? I need one as I keep getting ear infections.

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realise they were not unisex!
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They're just rubber (Speedo etc) hats... watch the swimming in televised Games, eg Youtube of Olympic Games, or Commonwealth Games - and even probably diving (some might wear hats). And water polo. Lots of water sports - they all wear the same sort.

They're just thick rubber tight caps, unisex.
  • grahamgoograhamgoo Forumite
    355 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I didn't think swim caps kept water out of the ears. Would swimmers ear plugs be a better choice?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    grahamgoo wrote: »
    I didn't think swim caps kept water out of the ears.
    They don't. They primarily protect the swimmer's hair from the damaging effect of chlorine...
  • jeradonjeradon Forumite
    89 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    You can buy ear plugs at any drug store. Just ask for swimmers type ones.
  • Thomas_HoldingThomas_Holding Forumite
    267 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thank you all. I will sadly need hats and plugs as I get colds often and need to keep my hair dry.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    26.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colds are caused by a virus, not by having wet hair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    267 Posts
    ✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    Colds are caused by a virus, not by having wet hair.
    True but exposure to the cold and wet does not help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I get colds often and need to keep my hair dry.
    It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

If you have long hair and you wear a latex cap, it will assist in keeping your hair out of the water.

What swim caps will do generally is make it easier to wear goggles, as they provide a smooth surface for the strap and won't get tangled in your hair.

If you want to keep your hair dry you'll need to wear a cap and only swim breast stroke thereby keeping your head out of the water.

"Colds" which regular swimmers get are often more a reaction to getting chlorinated water in the nasal passages, so you might find a nose clip of assistance...
    267 Posts
    ✭✭
    It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

If you have long hair and you wear a latex cap, it will assist in keeping your hair out of the water.

What swim caps will do generally is make it easier to wear goggles, as they provide a smooth surface for the strap and won't get tangled in your hair.

If you want to keep your hair dry you'll need to wear a cap and only swim breast stroke thereby keeping your head out of the water.

"Colds" which regular swimmers get are often more a reaction to getting chlorinated water in the nasal passages, so you might find a nose clip of assistance...
    Thanks for that, I have to do back stroke as otherwise I get back pain.
    I have not a swimming cap before - so I thought that it did keep your hair dry.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES