Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?

edited 24 September 2019 at 5:28PM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
84 replies 21.7K views

Replies

• puk999puk999 Forumite
    541 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Not sure if off topic but I don't tip. It's the MSE thing to do, surely?
  • rawhammeredrawhammered Forumite
    118 posts
    100 Posts
    nope, never tip and encourage everyone else to do the same. Get rid of this unfair, underhand system of tax evasion that puts pressure put on both staff and customers. An open and transparent system of paying the advertised price at restaurants would benefit all in the longer term. Get employers to pay a reasonable salary.
  • MSE_Gary wrote: »
    Carluccio's has said it gives cash tips to waiting staff, but card tips are split between all staff, including managers, based on hours worked. So we want to know how it works elsewhere, so that customers who choose to tip, can understand where it goes

Please tip us off (and let us know which chain you work at).

Card tips are the biggest fraudulent company policy I have ever come across, especially the law stating that one of the waiters should be held in a position to be in charge of the tips. What mostly happens is that, the position is given to a person in head office, which is never distributed out to waiters inaccurate amounts if not at all. It disgusting that 10 to 14% of service is charged at times. When in no way is the waiter or other service members are seeing the rewards by card tips. There needs to be a union or body that deals with these issues to back up claims by waiters where this is unlawfully happening. This comes from a Michelin star resturant worker. So much for upper-class establishment. Businesses will state they need to pay overheads, but waiters need to pay there bills for the roof over there heads. Abolish the Service charge!!
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No_Kash wrote: »
    Card tips are the biggest fraudulent company policy I have ever come across, especially the law stating that one of the waiters should be held in a position to be in charge of the tips. What mostly happens is that, the position is given to a person in head office, which is never distributed out to waiters inaccurate amounts if not at all. It disgusting that 10 to 14% of service is charged at times. When in no way is the waiter or other service members are seeing the rewards by card tips. There needs to be a union or body that deals with these issues to back up claims by waiters where this is unlawfully happening. This comes from a Michelin star resturant worker. So much for upper-class establishment. Businesses will state they need to pay overheads, but waiters need to pay there bills for the roof over there heads. Abolish the Service charge!!
    Isn't there a union that represents restaurant workers?
    Would you join if there was?
    If there already is a union, are you a member?

Maybe the customer should take some personal responsibility and check their bill and ask for any service charge to be removed.
    I will not pay a service charge.
    I do pay by card.
    I do tip in cash.
  • Whilst probably uncommon had a relative that worked in a bar that served food till late, the tips all went to the bar staff who spent most of their time chatting to regulars and doing no work, and kitchen staff were understaffed such as 1 person on even for busy periods so a 10pm finish they might not get out till 1am yet only paid till 10pm
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    nope, never tip and encourage everyone else to do the same. Get rid of this unfair, underhand system of tax evasion that puts pressure put on both staff and customers. An open and transparent system of paying the advertised price at restaurants would benefit all in the longer term. Get employers to pay a reasonable salary.

Absolutely agree.
    A fair days work for a fair days pay.
    Pay the price for the meal to include all business overheads.
  • TammykittyTammykitty Forumite
    957 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think this is a very interesting thread.
    It's obviously gone out in the weekly MSE newsletter (evidenced by the number of newbies posting - Hi & welcome to you all :hello:).

I'm very surprised by this statement:

I'd be interested to hear from more chefs about hourly rates.

It's really made me think more about tipping.

On reflection, I think splitting tips between kitchen staff and waiters - maybe with a higher percentage going to the chef than the washer up? - is fair.

I'm still of this mind:

Any managers out there who want to change my mind? :)

Now i'm not a manager, but I am going to stick up for them

Depends on the individual restaurants but the managers often take the flack from those higher up, they absorb a lot of the sh*t, and protect their staff from it.
    If you have a happy waiter or waitress serving you, the chances are its a good place to work, and the manager is a good manager.
    If staff phone in sick, the manager deals with and phones around etc, to try to make sure the place isn't understaffed so your waiting staff have time to serve you!
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    Now i'm not a manager, but I am going to stick up for them

Depends on the individual restaurants but the managers often take the flack from those higher up, they absorb a lot of the sh*t, and protect their staff from it.
    If you have a happy waiter or waitress serving you, the chances are its a good place to work, and the manager is a good manager.
    If staff phone in sick, the manager deals with and phones around etc, to try to make sure the place isn't understaffed so your waiting staff have time to serve you!
    And that's fine.
    Still not changed my mind though.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I don't want to tip the manager.
    I want to tip the people who've had an active role in my enjoyment of my meal.
    So to me, that would be the waiter(s)/chef(s).

FWIW, I tip the waiter specifically with cash (even though I almost always pay by card).
    I guess it's up to the individual restaurant how they split tips.
    And if part of that tip goes to the manager that's fine.

But for places like this:
    sinbinjack wrote: »
    indian night restaurant Chelmsford.essex:
    I am told by staff that the management keep all the tips so they can pay the wages of the staff. I would like to know why we even bother with tips to wait staff as they are just workers like any others ,but if In do tip then I tip the person who serves me not the owners.
    I wouldn't leave any tip at all.
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    vm72 wrote: »
    Tips? Ha ha ha...the joys of card machine payments mean less and less tips are being given

I work 16 hours a week in a very busy pub waiting tables all day long, all tips get shared equally amongst front of house / kitchen staff on a weekly basis and I think this is great as we all work together as a team (including those paying my card). Being on the minimum wage, a whopping £8.21 an hour, tips are always gratefully received, no matter how small. It's the thought that counts. However, the thing that annoys me when it comes to tipping is that now more and more people are paying by card less and less actually leave a tip, even when the option is to do it on the machine. You see people all the time having the I don't have any cash on me conversation and then the person who pays doesn't give a tip as they have picked up the bill....I am now in favour of having a 10% discretionary charge added to all bills, something that used to wind me up but would love my employer to bring it in.

16 hours a week is barely 2 days work and your just taking orders and carrying plates of food which requires no skills and almost anymore can do. So I think minimum wage is a fair pay for this kind of job.

I think tipping is an outdated concept and waiting staff should be expected to do a good job as default because that is what they are being paid to do. If they don't do a good job then disciplinary action should be taken.
  • AndyTailsAndyTails Forumite
    153 posts
    I used to be management in a specific restaurant chain in the UK. Not front of house management, but general company management.

When I started there, I had never worked in hospitality before as a member of management so I had no idea about how electronic card tips worked, but knew about cash tips as I had been a waitress when I was younger. I knew the waiting staff in our restaurant used to prefer cash tips (I think most in hospitality do) and didn't think anything of it at the time.

Very shortly after starting with the company, it came to my attention that the customers were complaining of a "10% service charge" that was automatically added to the bill. There was mention of it in small print (at the time) on the menu and it was at the bottom of the receipt so very easy to miss. Turns out, this was an "electronic card tip" that the customer most of the time didn't notice (as most would also leave a cash tip on leaving the restaurant). I asked one of the waiting staff about this and they had been told NOT to tell customers about the service charge (including reminding them that it was optional and had already been added onto their bill) and who it went too, and only to answer questions when asked - bit strange I thought. They also were NOT allowed to tell customers, if asked, that the service charge goes to topping up management salaries and not just the restaurant team - again, very strange - even though on the menu it said the "10% discretionary service charge is distributed amongst the team".

A couple of months and some payslips later, I soon realised I wasn't being paid correctly. I discussed this with my manager. I had had some pay issues as I was a new employee, so again, didn't think much of it at the time. Turns out, my salary was being topped up by this service charge and I was being under-paid as I wasn't being paid enough of the service charge. To clarify, I was being paid minimum wage for my age per hour, and then it was topped up with this service charge to make it up to my agreed monthly salary in my contract. This would probably explain WHY the floor staff were not allowed to make the customers aware of the service charge on their receipt.

This sounds like awful practice squirrel! Would you be prepared to name and shame?