New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

RAC breakdown

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
26 replies 3K views
13»

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAC would not budge on the price so I cancelled.

Seems you pay their silly price just once and your discounts are thrown out the window.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay

Here's the feedback.
    RAC sent me e-mail 18 or 19 Sept.(not a letter as I requested.)
    Their aim is to investigate within 20 days! but they have to complete within 8 weeks - think this is an ombudsman stipulation. They must have come close to/at the deadline.

A whole blurb about 'long distance' breakdown......excuses. Personally I don't think 90 miles, next county is long distance and that was the least of my complaints- WHEN truck finally appeared.

Nothing about specific issues.

They apologise and say it was totally unacceptable service.
    I have accepted ex gratia payment which equals annual fee.
    I could go to ombudsman and attempt to claim for worry etc but life's too short.
    I would report the whole thing to Saga but I can not find a suitable phone number to do so. Customer Services don't appear on any list.

In the past I have been a member of AA and they have been good to reasonable. I do not expect a patrol to appear immediately as I am (and have been) in rural areas but I reckon 2/3 hours is reasonable but 6 hours in beyond the pale!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    17.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is this Ombudsman ??
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Who is this Ombudsman ??

These breakdown services count as insurance so come under the remit of the Financial Ombudsman Service. Hence having to complain to the company first, who have eight weeks to respond before you can take the matter to the FOS.

So too does boiler cover like British Gas so called HomeCare!
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Who is this Ombudsman ??
    great comment, helped loads.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    great comment, helped loads.

Yours helped even less, given that a) this wasn't your thread, b) you resurrected it just to make a pointless post (post building before you start spamming?), and c) it actually was useful as it prompted someone to reply with useful information.