Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search

Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

704 replies 47.7K views

Replies

• I've had a slight update! So I was told via the helpline yesterday that I would receive an email within 24 hours, that has come and gone and still no email.

I've since been DMing Virgin on twitter and they have now said that the provide was Gold Medal and I would need to get email confirmation from them. This is the first mention of this (bare in mind I've spoken to several people about this now) and they aren't mentioned anywhere on my booking or aotl protection.

I feel that they are just fobbing me off at this point and all I want is something in writing to confirm that my flights are cancelled so that this doesn't change down the line...
    I do have text messages from the helpline - is this enough? Shall I just go ahead and rebook?

I just found this online: https://www.goldmedal.co.uk/media/374908/gm-guide-for-agents-and-passengers-update.pdf

Don't want to get your hopes up, but there is a number to call on the bottom of the statement that you might want to ring.

Post how you get on, it may help others.
  • edited 26 September 2019 at 12:06AM
    N4t4lieN4t4lie Forumite
    197 posts
    edited 26 September 2019 at 12:06AM
    I’m struggling to find out if park tickets and car hire are covered by ATOL. All booked through Thomas Cook website when we booked our holiday as part of the package but listed as “extras” on the invoice

If you paid for it all at the same time it will be covered by ATOL.

If you paid for any of the elements through TC separately later there is a possibility that it is not, but if they are on the same invoice and I assume were there when the balance was due to be paid I can't see how they wouldn't. If it was completely separate from the original booking and made with TC and paid for on a card and not the main invoice the they may no cover it, but in that case you can imitate a chargeback with the card company.

Wait to see what happens with the ATOL claim, it is most likely that they will cover everything as a package, be assured that you will not be left out of pocket if they do not. Hope that helps ease your concerns.
  • MRSJHD wrote: »
    I booked a trip to the Maldives leaving on Tuesday direct with TC in one of their shows over the phone. Noted as package, Flights are with emirates, speed boat transfers and superior beach bungalow at sun island resort. Paid deposit on my husband CC and balance on mine. All documentation sent by email and copy of booking through post no ATOL certificate with any of these although states they charged my £5 for ATOL cover. Does have the ATOL logo and number 1179 on the paperwork. I emailed sun resort yesterday and ask if my accommodation still valid they replied no TC had not paid accommodation so would need to rebook with them nearly £2000 would hold rooms. I emailed resort again re amount and told not holding rooms and if wanted to rebook what info needed. Have emailed back to query but nothing back yet. I called Emirates twice and the flights are still valid and advised TC had paid them, can get access to the booking via Emirates app. Looked at booking accommodation via another travel operator but prices have rocketed.
    If I rebook direct won’t have ATOL protection but would have CC protection under section 75? If I go what can I claim back presumably only the hotel as used the flights but my paperwork doesn’t breakdown the cost of the package or do I can for what I paid to rebook (as long as is not more than the total holiday package cost)? If I decide not to rebook accommodation so don’t go at all do I have to cancel the flights with Emirates and likely be charged a fee for doing so? This is not like going someone in Europe where there is likely to be plenty of choice of accommodation so I’m a bit unclear as to how this would work. Where do I go to claim under all these scenarios ATOL or CC? Any advise that you can give?

Quick question to you, was it a Thomas Cook Signature Holiday you booked?

Might want to read this: https://www.goldmedal.co.uk/media/374908/gm-guide-for-agents-and-passengers-update.pdf

And if it applies to you, give them a call first thing.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    my spanish bank demands thomas cook prove they didnt provide the service i paid for or they wont reimburse so i do need to speak to them
  • Good morning.

We are due to fly to Zante tomorrow morning. As this is a DIY package, out outbound flight is booked with Tui however our return flight was booked with Thomas Cook. We are unsure what to do. Please help :(
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the return flight on or before the 6th October?
  • Hi. Our return flight is on Tuesday 1st October. We were only going for 4 nights.
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I remember when this happened 2 years ago that someone was told they should not willingly fly out on a different airline after Monarch went bust to be repatriated and they wouldnt be covered for a return flight, you may have to speak to the CAA.
  • Brilliant. Thank you for your advise. I will contact CAA.
  • KelBrookes wrote: »
    Good morning.

We are due to fly to Zante tomorrow morning. As this is a DIY package, out outbound flight is booked with Tui however our return flight was booked with Thomas Cook. We are unsure what to do. Please help :(

Just to add to this, it did happen with Monarch went under and you will not be covered by the repatriation, it only applies to people already on holiday so you'll need to book an alternative return flight.

Who did you book the flights through?

If you can clearly see what portion of the cost relates to the TC flight you can reclaim that part of the cost through your bank as a chargeback if you paid on a card and your insurance won't cover it.

Hope that helps.