New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Kitty - final Vet trip.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
18 replies 3.1K views
2»

Replies

• pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have my first cat at the moment and go cold thinking about this day coming.

I haven't been in this situation so can't pretend to know what it's like, but just wanted to add to the discussion above re getting another cat... Obviously it's a deeply personal decision and everyone differs on if/when they do it, but in case this helps anyone in the future with another option...

A friend of mine lost two in quick succession and missed having cats around but couldn't face getting another... He is now a fosterer for Cats Protection's Paws Protect service. It's an amazing service - it provides pet fostering for people fleeing domestic abuse. Not wanting to leave a pet behind is one of many barriers to people escaping these situations. Paws Protect takes people's cat(s) and places them with a foster carer for up to six months, while the owner gets back on their feet. When the owner's ready, the cats are returned to them. My friend has had several cats/pairs of cats so far (which I'm always excited about until I remember they represent a family in deep distress) and found it really rewarding. Cats Protection pay all the costs (food, litter, vet bills - the works).

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread and am sorry again for your loss.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to the Cat Protection Centre in Bryncethin, Bridgend today, took down a couple of items for them, and made a donation. Couldn't help but look at the cats & kittens - some recently operated on, sad that a couple of more mature cats been there since June, but good to see many are already 'spoken' for.
    https://www.cats.org.uk/bridgend?fbclid=IwAR3n0dMWXFjw-3i4AW66L9S3BFaNO4RTvQ-WNWb-aaGMQ5SSA4iV8DYQOmM&fbclid=IwAR3n0dMWXFjw-3i4AW66L9S3BFaNO4RTvQ-WNWb-aaGMQ5SSA4iV8DYQOmM
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I lost my Lily in April, had to take her on that final trip to the Vets. She was just shy of 14 and had small cell lymphoma.

Now I'm beginning to come round and am going to enquire soon about fostering kittens. I wanted to do that even when I had Lily.

I don't want to get too attached as financially keeping a cat of my own is (really sadly) not going to be a possibility for a good long time. I thought kittens as they wouldn't be with me long before going to new homes.

Weaned or weaning kittens would suit me and I'd not do it full time either, with kitty free weeks in between litters. That way I get the animal contact some of the time and my freedom the rest of the time.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thursday - collected her casket from the vet, though no engraved brass plate on it , as happened previously! good to bring her home

And Friday the cat-flap pane was replaced - donated the cat-flap to a cat rescue place.

Still miss her and her ways, she was unlike any other cat we've known.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (((hugs))) Some do seem to leave extra large pawprints on our hearts.

Whenever you feel up to it (days, weeks, months ... ) please consider posting a digital photo of your extra special girl.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We lost our two dogs when we were in our fifties, waited five years, as we felt we were being disloyal, until we got a rescue dog. She passed earlier this year at the age of 14 and there's no way we will be having another one as I am mid seventies and my Wife only five years behind.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    (((hugs))) Some do seem to leave extra large pawprints on our hearts.

Whenever you feel up to it (days, weeks, months ... ) please consider posting a digital photo of your extra special girl.

Tried 'copy' of the photo image, but nothing happened after 'paste'!?
  • oscarwardoscarward Forumite
    802 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭
    We lost our 10.5 yo dog 3 weeks ago , it took us 2 days to decide to have another one. So 4 days ago we picked up an 8 week old puppy.

He’s not exactly filled the hole in our lives and is not a substitute, but.. Early days but we love him to bits already and he is settling in nicely. Still shed a tear for our previous dog and still miss him.

Every person is different but we feel our decision was right.