Cancelling A Direct Debit

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
2 replies 256 views
De_De_ Forumite
4 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
I signed up for a yell product which was supposed to drive traffic to my website. In hindsight, it has done absolutely nothing. I believe I was missold when I received a call from one of their sales reps. Obviously this counts as a B2B business contract, however, it is not a registered business and it is literally just a website, with no physical premesis. I also gave them a fake address for my 'business address' (not to spite them, just so that my home address wasnt exposed on the internet)

Unfortunately the contract is a 12 month contract and there was no cooling off period when I signed up. I was supposed to receive support and follow up phone calls from them but they have done absolutely nothing. The only thing they did was create a shoddy Facebook page for me which took them all of 5 seconds, which I hardly think is worth the £50 per month I am paying them.

So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address. Obviously from a moral standpoint, I would have no qualms about doing this.

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    De_ wrote: »
    I signed up for a yell product which was supposed to drive traffic to my website. In hindsight, it has done absolutely nothing. I believe I was missold when I received a call from one of their sales reps. Obviously this counts as a B2B business contract, however, it is not a registered business and it is literally just a website, with no physical premesis. I also gave them a fake address for my 'business address' (not to spite them, just so that my home address wasnt exposed on the internet)

Unfortunately the contract is a 12 month contract and there was no cooling off period when I signed up. I was supposed to receive support and follow up phone calls from them but they have done absolutely nothing. The only thing they did was create a shoddy Facebook page for me which took them all of 5 seconds, which I hardly think is worth the £50 per month I am paying them.

So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address. Obviously from a moral standpoint, I would have no qualms about doing this.
    To be honest, you sound made for each other. You gave them a fake address and are now critical of their business practices.

Don't cancel the DD. You need to formally cancel the contract, citing the reasons why - I.e. that they've breached the terms of the contract (although they might counter-claim that you have done the same by giving a false address). All correspondence should be done by letter in case it ends up 'going legal', although quite how you're going to do that to and from a fake address is beyond me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    De_ wrote: »
    So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address.
    Did you also give them a fake bank account?

If not, I'm pretty sure you can still be traced by someone determined enough.

Debt collectors would probably fit that description...