• teenateena Forumite
    30 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Thanks you have been such a big help.
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    An update from Santander seems to suggest they will be scrapping foreign currency charges on their current account:

Changes to foreign transaction fees (applies to savings accounts also) – effective by 15 December 2019
    You’ll no longer be charged for the following transactions:
    ¡ Foreign currency purchase fee for debit card payments, currently £1.25 per transaction.
    ¡ Cash withdrawal fee (including cash machines, purchase of travellers’ cheques or foreign currency at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa or Mastercard sign abroad), currently 1.50% on each transaction.
    ¡ Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) - non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15.00

From: https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/general_t_cs_and_important_information_ca_savings_august_19_do-ec-835.pdf
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTF wrote: »
    An update from Santander seems to suggest they will be scrapping foreign currency charges on their current account:

Changes to foreign transaction fees (applies to savings accounts also) – effective by 15 December 2019
    You’ll no longer be charged for the following transactions:
    ¡ Foreign currency purchase fee for debit card payments, currently £1.25 per transaction.
    ¡ Cash withdrawal fee (including cash machines, purchase of travellers’ cheques or foreign currency at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa or Mastercard sign abroad), currently 1.50% on each transaction.
    ¡ Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) - non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15.00

From: https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/general_t_cs_and_important_information_ca_savings_august_19_do-ec-835.pdf

What about the 2.75% forex fee? Will have a look through the document. It's not opening for me at the moment.
  • Hi a quick question regarding this card. is it possible to pay money on to this card in advance of leaving and then using the card to withdraw Euros whilst abroad to avoid any charges?
  • jasdevjasdev Forumite
    98 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I applied for the Barclaycard Rewards card this morning on the basis of its top ranking in the guide; now it's gone!

What happened?

I did find it odd this morning when I was approved and Barclays told me "The card I applied for is no longer available but here is another similar one" which looked identical, so I proceeded to submit my application. Hopefully I don't get a bum deal!

And stefkb, usually this is in contravention of the card terms and conditions, the workaround for you is to have the Halifax app on your phone, check it regularly after withdrawals, and then make a payment from your current account to clear the balance when the ATM withdrawal has cleared. That way you should minimise your interest charges. I think, however, there is a twice per month limit on this, from reading other threads here.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team

• Grae27Grae27 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What happened to the Halifax Clarity card for overseas spending? I still have one and use it regularly and it has always been recommended by Martin Lewis. However, it is not now listed and one of the top overseas credit cards for spending and has been replaced by Santander Zero. Does anyone know why? What does the Santander Zero card offer that Halifax Clarity does not? Thanks
  • AlexMacAlexMac Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grae27 said:
    What happened to the Halifax Clarity card for overseas spending? ... it is not now listed and one of the top overseas credit cards for spending and has been replaced by Santander Zero. Does anyone know why? 
    ?? Whaddaya mean "not now listed". Yes it is- top of the list:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/#halifax
    As you say- it's a great card.  I ust looked at my statement and see I got an effective rate of 1.22 euros to the pound 2 week ago in Spain, admittedly when the pound was high. But on the 1,000+ Euros I paid locally for my holiday accommodation that represented a saving of £40 odd compared with the best cash rate I got immediately before leaving the UK using this website's Travel Money Max tool and pre-ordering online .  If I'd traded cash at the Post Office I'd be down 60-70 squid!