NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

I want to break free....

in Debt free diaries
165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Wednesday update:

1. No post.

Unusual comments for the day:

1. Had my interview today, went ok. First impressions were not good (clueless staff, not a well kept interior) second impression was even worse (my office would be on the 4th floor, with constant walking up/down the stairs) and third impression was hair-raising (I would be eying up the managers job within a few months - I need a confident manager and someone who knows how to do the roles they manage, and their own).

By the time I had got to work I had made up my mind to withdraw my application and also pull out of the interview Friday; nothing wrong with the work it's straightforward, but I would be bored in no time, plus i wouldn't cope with all the stairs - pain meds haven't touched the sides after this morning.

I've also been very spoilt working at the site I am as it's very clean, well looked after, staff are visually confident, even if they are not, and I can get around due to the buildings having lifts!

Again, I will admit I cried at work when I got in as ever since my accident I have been working in 'disabled friendly' environments, even if some staff were clueless. Today is the first day my mobility, or lack of, was a hindrance.

Discussed it with the manager at my site and have been assured the role I'm after at this site is like the one I'm doing, minimal walking, no stairs to worry about and if I get the role she will sort all my reasonable adjustments out.

2. Ruled out tenement flats due to today's experience as I will only have a life of going to work/going home and be unable to get back out again.

On the one hand it's a shame, but on the other hand had I not done the interview I would have arranged viewings, be all excited and pumped to view a flat, buy it, move in and realise I'm in trouble.

Positive ending for today:

1. Money moved to MSA's.

2. Looking at upper villa's (ground and 1st floor buildings that look like a house but are specifically built upper/lower flat), 1 bed houses (these are very intriguing), bungalows and houses; still plenty of options for me :D

3. Several more jobs have popped up for the company, just need to carefully check locations and amenities before applying!

Debt balances stand at:

1. £0 (CCJ)
    On CRA.
    Settled in full.

2. £1867.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 15% off

3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 25% off

DPA float £3,630
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    My tired Thursday update:

1. Nothing from former DMC, FOS, ICO or D2.

1. Withdrew from the interview tomorrow.

2. No change to the monthly gas direct debit, standing charge was more than the gas use.

3. Must remember to pay my tax tax this month!

4. Money moved to MSA's.

5. Looked at some office dresses and will be popping in tomorrow after work to buy some; want to look good for my interview next week.

6. Having a second viewing of an area the weekend, see if it is viable for buying in :)

7. Run out of steam today and feel so tired, not helped by having to take full med doses I think.

8. Did my weekly shop after work today £25 for a stack of meat, veg, fruit, milk, oats etc. I bulk buy rice / noodles so don't need to buy them that often :)

Having Thai curry tonight! Pork and rice tomorrow, Roast chicken the weekend; just have to see what I fancy Saturday :D
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sorry you've been in pain and struggling with mobility. I can't imagine what it's like to live with that every day. Good that you have a manager you can talk to and that they will make adjustments for you. Good too that you got to test out how feasible it would be to take a flat not on the ground floor.

I must admit I have always avoided flats - my understanding from the outside is that you have service and leasehold type costs that you have no control over. You can be forced to do maintenance to suit the leaseholder's timetable rather than at your convenience. My perception is that there is a glut of one bedroom flats on the market which also potentially drives down their value... If there was any way to get a one bedroom house that was freehold I would be tempted to go for that instead. If you could afford a two bedroom one with a lodger that might also be tempting - as if your mortgage allowed it (and you could stand sharing the space) they could effectively be paying your mortgage for you.

Only thoughts... not advice
    Target 1) Lose weight & get fit (started) 2) Declutter 3) Get to £6k EF/Savings Now £2.7k 4) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 255 payments to go. Now £196,223. 5) Mortgage neutral progress (private pension/AVCs c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief 6) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 7) Debt free April 22 (now stay that way!!)
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Yesterday was a huge knock back and made me realise my mobility is an issue, I've had my head in the sand over it for nearly 20 years.

Im in Scotland so mainly freehold flats up here and all the owners share responsibilities for repairs, some have 'factors' (management companies).

I don't really want a flat due to the obvious issues of not so nice neighbours, noise, dope smoking and general inconsiderateness (think I just made that word up) but I'm just aware my budget may not get me a house/bungalow hence trying to keep as many options open as possible!

I have my eye on a couple of one bed houses, cute / quirky and easy to maintain, but for the cost of them I can get a 2-3 bed upper villa (only ground and first floor but look like a house from outside), decent size garden for veg patch and fresh herb growing, get a patio installed for sitting in the sun and a drive. At the same time a bit further away I can get a 2 bed house for not much more than the villa. 1 bed flats in an area I would want to live are not much cheaper than 2 beds.

I've also been looking a little further down and properties are well within budget, but they take ages to sell; some have been on the market for a few years so there is the potential to bargain. Downside is it takes me even further away from my friends etc.

The one manager is great, I'm going to have to ask her to do a mock interview with me as I'm so nervous in interviews for this company; my confidence is also rock bottom due to the treatment by my former employer and staff. I did withdraw from the interview tomorrow and got rejected for the role yesterday as expected. However, I'm determined to get a role at the site I'm working at now!

Anyhow, tomorrow is another day and I'm mentally going over interview questions and my answers :) buying my suit the weekend too!
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Friday update:

1. No post.

2. Hit a patch of spilt diesel on the way to work and absolutely shat myself, ended up facing oncoming traffic with no control of my car. Goodness knows how I managed to finish the drive to work.

Unfortunately, I then had to drive home after my day and got to see the size of the spill and I had no chance of avoiding it this morning; I also drive a car about 2/3rds the size of most small cars therefore all my tyres were on the patch and my car just followed how it was spilt on the road, sliding sideways and spinning. No collision, I'm just an anxious wreck, car is fine and gripped the road all the way home.

It's only been the last few months I've got over the anxiety of my car accident in the early 2000's, stopped being scared of tailgaters, stupid drivers and lorries behind me; I'm back to how I felt after my accident (the car accident is the root cause of my chronic pain).

Had there been a bottle of spirits in work I would have appreciated it :D

3. D2 instalment is next week.

1. Printed the job spec off for next week, copied the required skills into a blank document and left spaces so I can put my skill-sets into the different sections, with examples of my experience. Also printed a load of info about the department so I can memorise a few key bits.

2. Had another department approach me today asking me to join them on a temp basis until they recruit and fill the role; I have said I'm applying for roles as I'm looking for a permanent position with the business and will gladly assist them.

I will be keeping an eye out for that job popping up and if it seems ok and the people are ok my application will go in; means they will get to see my work/ethics etc.

I've gone through the perks / benefits for the company I'm temping at/trying to get a permanent role with and one of them was discounted legal fees for conveyancing! 10-25% off depending of which firm is used :D

3. Start my divorce next week!

4. Money moved to MSA's, can move another couple of hundred more this month and will probably do that out of next week's wages.

5. I've accrued nearly 70 hours of holiday pay so far in this temp role. I'm looking forward to claiming all of that when I land a permanent position!

6. Tomorrow I'm off to revisit an area, I might ask my OH to drive me around, but will see how I feel mentally when I get up.

I'm having the Thai curry tonight and beer is in the fridge :)
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    PS - CCJ is marked as satisfied on a second CRA, just have to wait for the final CRA to update :D
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Weekend update:

1. No post.

1. I did drive around to explore several areas, basically expanded to check roads out where properties are for sale, saw some lovely unique homes and whilst I cannot buy the lovely ones for my first property, potentially I could for my second/forever home.

It looks like my first property will be an upper flat for upto £125k. On a 27 year mortgage. Saving £500-800pm for upto 5 years, mortgage overpayment, plus payrises. Would then give me enough to make the move....

My forever home would be 3-4 bedrooms, detached house or bungalow. For upto £250k (current prices) on a 22 year mortgage. Giving me a nice property into retirement with the option of downsizing if I needed to.

That's my property plan sorted out :D

2. Picked up 3x suit dresses.

Decided I'm going to wear the black one, with a black cardigan, red bead necklace, nice black shoes, tights, hair up and a bit of make up.

I would go with heels to finish the outfit off but I'm getting a guided tour of the location where I could be working if I'm successful.

That's my interview outfit sorted for next week; professional but not OTT, very tidy, and I'm happy with that.

I did buy a few other bits, had a voucher and so saved £15. Only cost me £70 for all my stuff and means I can add some of my older suits to my charity pile.

3. Money to MSA's.

4. Should be getting my referral fee within the next few weeks as my brother's new account is all set up. That's another £100 to MSA's.

Having a rest day tomorrow as I'm still shattered :)

Fish fingers and lattice tonight, easy food, with some films and beer later :D
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Chilled out Sunday update:

1. Think I will pay the offer made by D2, it just gets it out the way and leaves me D3 to work on; it will also look a bit better having a lower debt ratio when going for the mortgage.

2. Must write to D3 and counteroffer the offer.

Maybe I should wait and see if I can negotiate a better settlement with them before paying off D2.

1. Got my week mixed up for when I start my divorce. It's next week not this.

2. Have sixteen items on my to do list, started working through them, getting numbers, looking into costs etc only have ten left to work through; raise costs, update broker form etc; some are straight forward, others I can't do until I secure work eg discounted conveyancing quotes.

3. Hit the big milestone with my MSA's today, next ones are smaller £k milestones :) but once in a permanent full-time job I should be hitting them every other month.

4. Doing interview prep today, still feeling I've picked the right outfit, fits nicely and suits me.

5. My degree unofficially starts this week! It's going to be fun, interesting and I still got to return my disabled students grant form; will do that later :)

6. Still feeling very tired, but a day of swatting up and resting is on the cards.

Time to have some cheese and crackers!
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is it a part time degree you are doing then? I've not really understood...
    Target 1) Lose weight & get fit (started) 2) Declutter 3) Get to £6k EF/Savings Now £2.7k 4) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 255 payments to go. Now £196,223. 5) Mortgage neutral progress (private pension/AVCs c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief 6) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 7) Debt free April 22 (now stay that way!!)
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Is it a part time degree you are doing then? I've not really understood...

Part-time distance learning with the OU :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals