New Post Advanced Search

Faulty second hand car

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
34 replies 2.2K views
GarymandGarymand Forumite
25 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Hi.
I'm looking for advice on a faulty second hand car I brought in May from a dealer.

First day there was a squeaking noise. I had it repaired (brakes sticking). The garage that repaired the brakes said that a CV boot had split and shock absorber leaking. The CV boot was on a previous MOT but not the mot completed by the garage that sold the car. Two months later the car broke down. Garage is 40 miles away. After some discussion garage agreed I could take it local. Bill came in at £266.20. Garage went funny but agreed to pay £150 towards it.

Week later another 3 faults developed. Car sluggish, driver window won't go up or down and car door won't unlock with key fob.

Garage won't look at window or lock or CV boot or shock absorber, only sluggishness and it has to be taken to garage 40 miles away I've refused to take it to garage unless all faults are looked at. Garage are now refusing to speak to me as I quoted legal legislation (consumer credit act 2015) and no £150 back.

I've sent a letter of complaint and asked for a full refund of the car (as advised by CAB) but no response. CAB are now saying it might have to be small claims court.

Any advice appreciated

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the vehicle, age and price you paid?
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you allow the seller to have the opportunity to fix it?
    This space for hire.
  • The car is a Seat 2009. It was priced at £2400 and I paid £2000 and part ex'd my car.

I asked if the seller would repair all of the faults but he said he would only cover the sluggishness under warranty. I still have these faults currently and the garage is refusing to speak to me.

With regards to the breakdown, I had noway of getting it 40 miles away as the car has broken down. I asked if I could take it to a local garage and he reluctantly agreed but then only agreed to pay £150 towards the total bill
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to pay someone to tow/trailer it to the dealer if you want them to fix it. You expect a full refund on a car you've owned and used for three months but you're not prepared to return it to them. That's not a sensible expectation.

Arrange to return the car and take it from there.
  • I can get the car to the garage (as the first two faults were repaired and paid for by me).
    The issue is he is refusing to repair all of the further faults,two of which were present (but not known at the time) when I brought the car so yes I am expecting a full refund, due to being left with a car that has a further 5 faults.

The garage is now refusing to enter into any communication with me as I have quoted legal legislation. I can't even arrange to take the car to the garage (not that I would as he's not willing to look at all of the repairs).
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letter before action then, being prepared to follow it up with a court claim.
  • I've just done the letter before action but was hoping to avoid court where possible.
    I really can't afford to spend god knows how much to put these 5 faults right and as he's not given me the £150 towards the first fault (which he said he would) so I've lost all confidence in him and his garage
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the circumstances I don't see what other options are available to you. You'll have to borrow the money to get a working car in the meantime. If you're planning to reject it outright for a full refund you need to stop using it, so buying a temporary runabout for a few hundred quid might be a good idea whilst this one plays out.
  • Well unfortunately still no response from Jordan James Motor Company so looks like we are off to court. Very disappointed that he refuses to even acknowledge my letters
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Garymand wrote: »
    Well unfortunately still no response from Jordan James Motor Company so looks like we are off to court. Very disappointed that he refuses to even acknowledge my letters

How long did you give him? You are supposed to give 14 days.
    This space for hire.