New Post Advanced Search

Pawn broker problem

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
29 replies 2.2K views
Doodler123Doodler123 Forumite
13 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Hello,
I pawned my jewellery in 2013 for a very small amount of money as at that time I needed to pay something. Since then I’ve been unable to go and get my gold out so I’ve just continually gone in every 7 months
And renewed my pledge, I last renewed in March 2019, and it was up for renewal again in October 2019.
Last week I received a letter from the pawn brokers asking me to contact them, I did so and they informed me that my gold was accidentally mixed up with someone else’s and has since been scrapped, my gold held huge sentimental value to me as some of the pieces are 22 years old😓.
The staff offered to try and match my gold from other places and replace like for like, they rang me and said to come down and see what they have managed to source so far, nothing at all like my gold apart from one sovereign - but that’s because sovereigns are pretty much all the same,
They produced a locket that was tiny whereas my original locket was double the size of a sovereign coin, luckily in 2012 I took some pics of a few of my pieces and uploaded them on FB to show my
Friends so I have actual pics of some of it,
I am at a loss as to what I can do, I had an appointment at citizens advice yesterday but he couldn’t help, he said there’s no guidance on the system and neither
Him or any of his colleagues had ever dealt with this before, he suggested searching for a solicitor- any help or advice is appreciated
Thanks in advance 🤞🏻

Replies