Why do I have no credit history?

New Post Advanced Search

Why do I have no credit history?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
9 replies 769 views
misshjt88misshjt88 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
Hi, I am new here and am looking for some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to apply for a 0% interest credit card. I looked into the Barclays one giving 27 months interest free credit. Using the MSE eligability calculator it says I've got a 10%-60% chance of getting it - which is quite a big variable.
It made me think to check my credit score - but using the tool on the MSE website it says I don't have enough credit history. However I have been doing all the things on the 'how to build your credit score' page for years! I pay a phone bill, have a credit card which I pay off every month, am on the electorial role ect.
I have moved address many times over the past 10 years and have had a year out of the country (returning last August). Would this be the issue? I feel like I have a lot of credit history and should definitely have a credit score.
Any help working this out would be appreciated.

Replies

• MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    4.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you checked on all 3 CRAs to make sure that at least some of that activity is showing?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Don't put "score" and "history" in the same boat.

The history is what matters.
    The score does not.
  • I have not check any of the three yet, but this will be my next step. I am just a little unsure which addresses to use when I give my address history, as some bank accounts have always been registered at my parents address and then some things I have registered at addressess where I have actually lived. Will this have an affect?

And OK @Gary Dexter - Noted : )

Thank you
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    All your accounts should be registered to the address you actually reside at, along with your Electoral Roll information.
    Regardless of how many time a year you move.
  • Hello misshjt88,

Don’t worry about having accounts at different addresses as that don’t really matter at all a lot of my family do this! There is no law telling you that you need to have all accounts at one address.

In regards to the credit report use the address that has your main accounts registered there and the longest opened as they will be able to find you easier!

Good luck,
    Hope you get all sorted,
    headoffinance
  • boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The above is probably spam.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello misshjt88,

Don’t worry about having accounts at different addresses as that don’t really matter at all a lot of my family do this! There is no law telling you that you need to have all accounts at one address.

In regards to the credit report use the address that has your main accounts registered there and the longest opened as they will be able to find you easier!

Good luck,
    Hope you get all sorted,
    headoffinance

Ignore this ^^

You accounts should be registered to the address you ACTUALLY reside at, which should also be the address you're registered with the Electoral Roll at.
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    !!! wrote: »
    Ignore this ^^

You accounts should be registered to the address you ACTUALLY reside at, which should also be the address you're registered with the Electoral Roll at.

I also recommend this - having multiple applications submitted with multiple addresses can be seen by lenders as suspicious. At best it could lead to an application being denied, at worst it could lead to a fraud marker being left on your credit files which will significantly hamper your ability to get credit.

As per your original post however, you need to check your files from all 3 CRAs. Ignore any reference to your "score" or "rating" and instead focus on your credit history. Even with good history, you won't always get access to the best deals since many lenders are aiming for a particular type of customer and take more than your credit history into account. If you continue to get low chance acceptance, i'd shop around and see what other lenders offer similar products to what you are looking for.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I also recommend this - having multiple applications submitted with multiple addresses can be seen by lenders as suspicious. At best it could lead to an application being denied, at worst it could lead to a fraud marker being left on your credit files which will significantly hamper your ability to get credit.

Correct - National Hunter may pick up on this so a SAR request to them might also be in order