Forum Home» Energy

Green Network Energy Reviews: Add your feedback on the energy supplier - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search

Green Network Energy Reviews: Add your feedback on the energy supplier

edited 24 August 2017 at 11:02AM in Energy
178 replies 77.6K views

Replies

• Green_Network_EnergyGreen_Network_Energy Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    25 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Hi barbie51,

We are currently testing smart meter installation processes and systems, so we are not carrying out installations at scale. We will start to offer smart meters more widely during 2019 and all customers will be offered a smart meter by the end of 2020.

We will contact all of our customers to offer a smart meter but this is not compulsory and you can choose not to accept this. However, if there was ever any faults with your existing meter and this needed to be replaced, it is likely that this would be with a smart meter.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further queries!

Kind regards,

Jon - GNE Customer Care
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Green Network Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • barbie51barbie51 Forumite
    7 posts
    Thanks, I am asking because I DONT want a Smart meter and my current supplier insist I have to have one to stay on the tariff I signed up for or pay a £70 exit fee.
  • edited 27 June 2019 at 11:00PM
    dan223dan223 Forumite
    40 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2019 at 11:00PM
    I am also I’m a similar position. I joined before the end of the year. My account is currently in credit, ok by only £10 but we just went through the winter months. Now you want to raise my direct debit, in the summer months, when my direct debit was already sufficient for the winter months. If anything my direct debit should go down as often in the winter months you end up in debit but the summer months balance you out with credit.

I spoke to someone who did another check and actually said it should be even higher!? Tried to say how it doesn’t make sense but wouldn’t budge. Emailed straight after but have had no reply.

Not my only problem at GEN. when transferring they changed he figures provided because of the “industry” which gave a much much higher reading than it should have been. A few months later my meter reading also got replaced again by an “industry” reading which is again well off. Seems I have to do the run around to correct there mistakes. Now this DD increasing, I can’t see me staying with them past when my contract ends, when I was with British gas a couple of providers ago they managed DD so easily, and correctly!
  • edited 28 June 2019 at 11:14AM
    Green_Network_EnergyGreen_Network_Energy Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    25 posts
    edited 28 June 2019 at 11:14AM
    Hi dan223,

I am sorry to hear that you would consider switching away.

I would like to explain that when we review your Direct Debit, we are calculating what we expect you to use over the next 12 months based on your historic usage and taking into account some other factors such as predicted weather data.

A breakdown of how this was calculated would have been sent to you at least 10 working days before your increase. Our aim is for your balance by the end of the next 12 months to be as close to zero as possible and want to avoid the build up of a debit balance on your account.

With regards to your opening meter readings, I would like to explain that when we receive these readings from you, these are quality checked by the Industry. The Industry is a third party that works in conjunction with all suppliers to ensure that everything runs in line. If your opening readings do not run in line with readings held b your previous supplier, this can result in these being removed and replaced by an estimated reading. If this estimated reading differs greatly to your actual reading, please contact us with regards to this and we can raise a dispute to have this amended.

If you have any further queries regarding this, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Jon - GNE Customer Care
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Green Network Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • AnonymouslyAnonymously Forumite
    22 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I must say that I was just about to press the switch button and decided to read the forum comments and they leave me very concerned and very undecided and going back to look at other switches I might make.

On of my concerns is that if I switch now and go through the winter I could face a massive increase when just going into summer next year. During last winter I owed money because of my DD, but now I am owed money because of my little summer usage.

Back to checking out the alternatives.
  • Green_Network_EnergyGreen_Network_Energy Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    25 posts
    Hello,

Thank you for considering Green Network Energy as your energy supplier and we are sorry to hear that you may have changed your mind about switching to us.

We would recommend using your Estimated Annual Consumption provided by your current supplier when looking at new quotes. If these figures are accurate and your usage does not vary significantly year on year, there should be no reason for your Direct Debit to be increased.

We carry out periodic reviews of our customers' Direct Debits to ensure that what you are paying is going to balance out by the end of a 12 month period. We use the initial figures that you provide when getting a quote to estimate what you can expect to pay over the course of a year and simply divide this by 12 to calculate your monthly payments. This does of course mean, as you have noted, that our customers may build up a bit of a debit during winter and that this should then balance out over the course of a year.

We do take these seasonal changes into account when carrying out your annual review and will only increase the Direct Debit if it does not appear that what you are paying will be sufficient to balance out to zero by the close of the year (from your switch).

You can call us on 0800 520 0202 if you do have any concerns and would like to speak with us, we would be more than happy to discuss this with you. You can also see reviews of our service on Trustpilot to see how a wider range of our customers have felt about their experience with us.

Kind regards,

Jon - GNE Customer Care
    Verified Company
  • AnonymouslyAnonymously Forumite
    22 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Called in and I am afraid that I got no real answe r to this winter question and switching now. I w as told that chaning at pr esent would be for half a year befor e review. But mostly that half year would be high usage. In the last two years I have been owed money on a constant DD but not in winter where my usage has been high.

How much information are you given about my last years usage by my old supplier so you can be assured that my usage is as stated and the DD set at the right amount, and that should be what you first offer me, and will clear the bills at the end.
    25 posts
    Hi there,

Thank you for your response and I'm very sorry to hear that you feel that your questions were not answered clearly when contacting us.

I would like to explain that when you register to switch to Green Network Energy, you are asked to answer some questions to determine how much energy you use. It is these details that are used to calculate what your Direct Debit is set at and, if this is accurate and your usage does not vary too much, this should balance out by the end of the year with no increases necessary.

It is only when it appears that the Direct Debit will not cover your ongoing consumption where this is increased and we do always take seasonal changes into account. This is to ensure that our customers do not build up too much of a debit. On the other end of the spectrum, if a large credit has built up, we would be looking to reduce a Direct Debit amount at our review to ensure that too much of a credit does not accrue by the end of a 12 month period.

I hope this helps in explaining this but, should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Kind regards,

Jon - GNE Customer Care
    Verified Company
  • nic_cnic_c Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    On of my concerns is that if I switch now and go through the winter I could face a massive increase when just going into summer next year. During last winter I owed money because of my DD, but now I am owed money because of my little summer usage.

This is the same with all suppliers surely? It has been with my last 3, which included one from the big 6. I change at the start of autumn with a fixed DD based on annual use,after 6 months I will be in deficit, get a "review" and increase my DD, often by as much as 50%, as I'm using "more than expected", over the spring my use drops and over 4 months of summer it's minimal use (I only use gas for central heating and its not used over summer) and I end up with a large surplus in credit. I think this is compounded by the fact that the 6 month review includes cost over the next 12 months, i.e. including 6 months after the fix has ended and assumes you go onto the standard tariff. Some have delayed the DD increase for a few months but usually all eventually increase it and when I have a surplus over the summer don't refund because they say its needed for the winter (which is after my fix ends, so who says I'll still be there!).

So this point about GNE is same of many suppliers, doesn't make it great, but just pointing out its a standard happening. Maybe I need to go on an 18 month contract one time to get my future start dates changed to allow a summer surplus built up before switching or change for a bill what you use, but these don't tend to be the cheap tariffs!!
  • apnorfapnorf Forumite
    20 posts
    A few months ago I had a letter from GNE saying they were increasing my DD from £136 p/m to £177 p/m. I rang them to complain. I had usage figures for several past years. My argument was that they had reviewed my GAS usage based over the six WINTER months and that they should not estimate that I would use the same quantity over the Summer months. Their Winter month consumption figures were in line with past records @ about 127KwH per day but my Summer usage was about 40KwH per day (as it has proved to be in reality). The young bloke accepted this and my DD was not changed. If you give them your expected annual usage when signing up it is those figures they should stick to and averaging out after a period of less than a full year is bound to give false impressions. If they had reviewed over the Summer months maybe they would have reduce my DD but I would have still contacted them to maintain the set DD level as it works over a full year. This is not the reason I am moving to another supplier , my move is purely about cheaper prices available elsewhere.