edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
21 replies 1.5K views

Replies

• steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are in the right.

If the cinema is serving inebriated people, they will be in breach of their licence conditions. This puts the cinema at risk of losing their licence to serve alcohol.

As it sounds like the cinema is serving people who are clearly inebriated, I would write to the manager about that, so that management can have a word with the staff.

I wouldn't expect to get anything for the shoes. You might get a gesture of goodwill or you might not.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    izzy65 wrote: »
    My husband and I paid very good money to see a band in the SSE and somehow a bloke beside us had two half bottles of vodka, his drunken antics ruined the show, we complained , mainly because he should not of had glass bottles of alcohol there, and they offered two tickets to another show free.

Slightly different scenario.

In your case the churl should not have had the alcohol. In OP's case alcohol was allowed. The OP has no proof that his churl was intoxicated, a sober person can spill wine or any other liquid.
  • Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Like others have mentioned, you didn't complain at the time so you have no proof. Unfortunately, you will have to "suck it up"
  • ndf9876ndf9876 Forumite
    301 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just to draw a line under this - we had a chat last night and read through \ discussed some of the responses you've all kindly provided. We're broadly in agreement with most of you - in that we should have complained at the time, kicked up a fuss and then perhaps would have been in a stronger position to complain.

As it is, we did shoot off an email to the cinema to let them know what happened - we've made it clear that we should have complained at the time etc, but as an aside from that, we also think it is beyond belief that a person can just trash your stuff, shrug and walk away.

Still, I'm not going to get hung up about it, after all we're talking Next sandals here not a pair of white Louboutins. I'm sure the perpetrator will enjoy some sort of karmic retribution eventually!
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ndf9876 wrote: »
    but as an aside from that, we also think it is beyond belief that a person can just trash your stuff, shrug and walk away.

There are plenty of "hit and run" incidents on our roads, where this exact thing happens.
  • izzy65izzy65 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly different scenario.

In your case the churl should not have had the alcohol. In OP's case alcohol was allowed. The OP has no proof that his churl was intoxicated, a sober person can spill wine or any other liquid.

Yes and no, they do sell copious amount of alcohol in the premises, it's just you cannot take any in to the venue, there are plenty of people who do not seem to mind paying hundreds of pounds for a ticket and spend the time going back and fore to the bar getting sozzled.
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

is it worth going to see the film, or should I wait for dvd ?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• ndf9876ndf9876 Forumite
    301 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi,

is it worth going to see the film, or should I wait for dvd ?

Definitely wait for the DVD, unless you are a REAL die-hard Tarantino fan.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

thanks, didn't know what the film was, but not for me.

I liked Bambi and the Jungle Book. ;)
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• HoneylifeHoneylife Forumite
    212 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The moment to bring this to the attention of management has gone. But if you do sent a complaint now it can be raised in a staff meeting. Young bar staff find it difficult to actual say "sorry cant serve you any more you have had enough"

I went to the Barbican in London with my daughter aged 13 (at the time) for a concert. As I entered the hall to take my seat I stumbled and the drink in a cup in my hand spilled on the punter sitting at the end of the aisle seat. Just on the shoulder of his shirt. As he leapt out of his seat swearing very loudly, I instantly said "its only water", as I didn't want him to think it was red wine or some noxious alcohol that would he would smell of all night. He continued to swear at me as I was reaching into my bag for tissues. His companion was trying to get him to calm down pointing to my daughter remonstrating with him that there was a child present and repeating what I said - it was only water. He then called the usher over (she was already on her way over) and she was also trying to get him to lower his voice and restrain his language. We then had to get past him to get to our seats and for the first half he glared at us. I was very distressed as I had repeatedly apologised. At the interval the observant usher came over and asked me if I would like be moved, and she moved us to the other side of the auditorium. I was dreadfully upset by the whole incident. Collecting our coats at the end we met his companion and she apologised to me for his crude response especially in front of a child.

I absolutely dread to think what it would have been like if that drink was actually alcohol. I never wore those shoes again as they clearly were unsuitable for highly polished floors.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    :(