Accommodation not as advertised

New Post Advanced Search

Accommodation not as advertised

edited 21 August 2019 at 12:51PM in Consumer Rights
50 replies 3.4K views
kittennosekittennose Forumite
59 posts
edited 21 August 2019 at 12:51PM in Consumer Rights
Recently returned from a caravan holiday (UK) and the caravan was nothing like the one that was advertised. We are talking different decor, different layout, all bedrooms different, no veranda as advertised and a failure to mention the entire van was adapted for people with disabilities so it contained much equipment and railings for those users giving the accommodation a very different feel to what we were expecting.

We saw the caravan we stayed in (advertised correctly) with a another agent and even though much cheaper through them, we chose not to book it as we didn't like the look of it what so ever, hence booking the more modern and comfortable caravan with someone else - which turned out to be false.

Had we have known this was actually the same caravan and the only one left on site we genuinely wouldn't have even considered staying at that park.

We requested to be moved the second we arrived but no other vans were available, we also said we were open to moving to another park but they didn't offer that either. So now back and compiling some kind of complaint.

Looking at the photos they really don't have much of a leg to stand on in terms of a defence to my complaint but I am struggling to put a reasonable figure / proposal to them in terms of fair compensation.

Replies

• Yellow_mangoYellow_mango Forumite
    440 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Presumably the obvious “loss” here is the difference in price between the correctly advertised accommodation, and the price you paid for it?
  • Loss of enjoyment and disappointment is greater than the difference in accommodation rates in this instance.
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What enjoyment didn't you get? Did you stay in the van and complete your holiday? If so your only due the difference in van rates
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    kittennose wrote: »
    Loss of enjoyment and disappointment is greater than the difference in accommodation rates in this instance.

Request your full money back then as I assume it was so disappointing and unenjoyable you went straight home and didnt stay in the caravan.
  • LilElvisLilElvis Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much did you pay and for how many nights?
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kittennose wrote: »
    Loss of enjoyment and disappointment is greater than the difference in accommodation rates in this instance.
    The problem is, how will you quantify those? As another poster says, if it was that bad you could have gone home and got a full refund.

You're basically relying on goodwill for anything beyond the difference in accommodation rates.
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time we stayed in a caravan which was a few years ago it looked nothing like the pictures.

We asked for our money back.

They moved us to one of the caravans that they have for emergencies and said they would sort it out in the morning.

They ended up letting us stay there which was fine.

As has been said your problem is not asking for a refund at the time.
  • POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    your problem is not asking for a refund at the time.

I don't agree that would have been a sensible option - Ignoring a car full of excited children for a start it would have made it more expensive for everyone involved, both us and the caravan provider as we had things booked which would then have meant further losses to claim for.

We gave them the good grace to resolve the issue while we were there, which I see as fair.

Unfortunately they couldn't provide suitable accommodation in-line with what we paid for and they subsequently couldn't provide us with accommodation at another campsite.

All told it took them until the day before we left to confirm this, so in theory we could have left then but again that doesn't seem to make any logical sense and it was even suggested we stay and take it up when we arrive home.
  • kittennose wrote: »
    I don't agree that would have been a sensible option - Ignoring a car full of excited children for a start it would have made it more expensive for everyone involved, both us and the caravan provider as we had things booked which would then have meant further losses to claim for.

We gave them the good grace to resolve the issue while we were there, which I see as fair.

Unfortunately they couldn't provide suitable accommodation in-line with what we paid for and they subsequently couldn't provide us with accommodation at another campsite.

All told it took them until the day before we left to confirm this, so in theory we could have left then but again that doesn't seem to make any logical sense and it was even suggested we stay and take it up when we arrive home.

Given you accepted the caravan your answer is in #4.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. You've got a solid case for the difference in hire rates but no case for anything more (barring goodwill).