Going to Australia - how to spend money

New Post Advanced Search

Going to Australia - how to spend money

9 replies 870 views
Help1234Help1234 Forumite
267 posts
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
Hello, I'm going to Australia for 5 weeks. I have a Natwest current account. Is the best way to buy things / shops / restaurants to use my debit card? Or is there a better card I should apply for?

Replies

• Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natwest is the worst card to use!

Either apply for the credit cards - linked to above in eDicky's post, or get a travel money card like Travelex card, you load it up with a set amount of money at a set rate, then you can top it up as and when you need. It's useful for general spending at restaurants, but not for paying for car hire/car hire deposits.etc

Or you can get a Monzo card and load that up instead.
  • sazaccountsazaccount Forumite
    500 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Depending on how soon your going look into getting a travel card, I personally use Revolut on the basic free one (you may have to pay for the card 10 or see if there is a referral link around not sure if I can give you mine or not on here) or monzo (sp?) you can withdraw up to 200 GBP per month fee free (ATM charges apply) and spend upto 5000 GBP on the card then there like 0.5% fee's.

Revolut are contactless cards which is called paywave in Aus, and you just load the card though an app on your phone from a UK bank account.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • alwaysskint96alwaysskint96 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    984 posts
    Take both a starling and revolut card- used with no issues in Aus last year
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just back from Oz, got the Barclaycard before I went, only charge was the fee paid at ATMs.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just back from Oz, got the Barclaycard before I went, only charge was the fee paid at ATMs.

Sadly, the card that you used is no longer available to new applicants.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Halifax Clarity is available- commission free- Also there is a £20 cashback offer if you open by 29th August. So, free money!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used Starling very successfully in a variety of countries including Australia and New Zealand earlier this year.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    and on a lighter note when I first saw the title I thought.. how to spend money?? easy, surely OP doesn't need advice on spending the spondoolies!!
    No, just how to access money.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks