New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cash for Norway

7 replies 650 views
kerrerakerrera Forumite
1 posts
I am travelling to Norway next month.

I normally carry a Post Office Travel card when abroad, but note that there is no wallet for the Norwegian currency. Can anyone advise on the best options for me. I ususally take my Bank credit and debit cards, but these prove quite costly to use.

Thanks

Replies

• daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Norway is very quickly becoming cashless so a card is the sensible option. It is also very expensive so you need to carry lots of cash with you.

There are plenty of zero fee foreign currency cards available.
  • st999st999 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Norway last year and never even seen any Norwegian krona.
    I used a Santander Zero credit card for everything.
    They even take them to go to a paid for toilet.
    75 years old and still here.
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've just come back. Mostly used our Halifax credit card, but we also used Euros for small purchases - small shops etc were happy to take them as was a toilet attendant!
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your bank debit and credit cards may be costly to use overseas, but they will not cost as much overall as using the likes of the Post Office Travel card..!

Open a Starling Bank account on your phone, perhaps a Monzo account as backup, and let them convert your pounds without fees at the ideal rate when transacting.

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only place we needed a coin was at Lillehammer Ski Jump site - for the loo.

Card even for a coke at Oslo wharf.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • michele-pmichele-p Forumite
    759 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    whatever you choose to spend on, make sure you budget for everything to be VERY expensive. We had a mix of paper money and a post office free credit card. Also watch out if you visit tourist stalls, we went to one in the middle of nowhere, and they do a very crafty thing with the decimal on the handwritten prices. Tried to charge say 15 krona for something that looked like is was priced as 1.50 - luckily we were with her and said no way when they asked the full amount.
  • michele-pmichele-p Forumite
    759 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    one other thing to consider... are you travelling around or mainly staying in big towns/cities like Bergen or Oslo? We found it almost impossible to eat out when out of the cities on our road trip, the Norwegians just don't go out for food like we do. It's fine in the cities, very much similar to the UK, but as soon as you venture out away from the main tourist towns, there's usually just a shop in a town, no pubs, bars, restaurants maybe the odd cafe during the day!

First time ever, but we took a suitcase of food with us, as we were there a week and travelling to new places each day. It was worth the cost on Ryanair for a one way suitcase, filled with easy to make food from Aldi right up to the weight limit. For example a supermarket in Bergen had a head of broccoli for £9! It really is a shock to the system.