Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again - Page 217

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 11:33AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 258.3K views

Replies

• sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Ladies,

LL
    I love watching The Handmaid's Tale. I record it every week and watch it when I want to. I am also recording and watching Poldark. I record many programmes and watch lots of programmes on Catch Up TV.

I binge watched all 6 episodes of Deep Water with my daughter the other day and we both loved it. It has a lot of twists in the plot, but essentially it is a tale of human frailty, love and personal relationships. :D

I had a full on weekend as I went dancing both Saturday and Sunday night. It was such a fun filled weekend for me. It also means that I get some much needed exercise while I am having fun. It benefits my Arthritis as well, as it helps to stop my joints from locking. :D

I have gained a few pounds in weight, but I am not letting it get me down. I am just getting on with enjoying my life and making the best of my life regardless of my current weight. :D

I am doing lots of reading at the moment. :D I am very thankful for the proliferation of Poundland shops in London as that is where I purchase all of my books. I like owning over an hundred books at any given time, as it shows my adult children, my grandchildren and other family that learning is not something that should stop once we have finished formal education.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely, I too believe we shouldcarry on learning and growing.

Just back from my massage.....my neck and back feel much better. Except I hurt my foot this morning, something fell and landed on it......whacking great bruise now, it's swelling and it hursts like crazy after walking there and back from the salon. I am bruising so easily these days. I must buy some arnica, I have ran out.

So that puts paid to my going out tonight. I'll just strap it up and elevate it. Can't remember where I put the stretchy support bandages......lol.

I think you are right through about needing to keep moving for arthritis. It does seem to help. It's a balancing act between rest and movement. That's why dancing is so good. You move the whole body and because it's fun it doesn't seem such a chore as "having to exercise".:rotfl:

Don't worry about gaining a few lbs. hopefully now that you are in less pain and moving a bit more it should drop off again.
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I am doing lots of reading at the moment. :D I am very thankful for the proliferation of Poundland shops in London as that is where I purchase all of my books. I like owning over an hundred books at any given time, as it shows my adult children, my grandchildren and other family that learning is not something that should stop once we have finished formal education.

I love learning too. There are so many skills I'd love to learn, places to visit and foods to try. Its difficult for me to fit it all in, with a busy family life, so I do lots of reading, which keeps my mind active.

Yes, I did pop to the Sainsbury's TU clothing sale!!! I bought DD a couple of bits and pieces, but there wasn't anything I saw for myself.
    2020 savings on purchases £6303.60
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your foot LL. Hope it feels better soon.:)

It's good to know your social life is back on track sugarbaby. I know we can't magic away aches and pains but it does help to take your mind off things.:)
    I had to read the novel at sixth form, I remember it being very depressing so I haven't watched the show!:D

The Handmaids Tale really doesn't appeal to me either. I don't favour sad tales at all. I've got 3 episodes of Keeping Faith recorded. I watched the first series and was keen to see this one but the first episode was so complex that I'm waiting until I can concentrate before watching them if I ever feel like it. I tend to watch television in the late evening so usually feeling sleepy. :o

Strangely enough I've enjoyed reading DH Lawrence. The GCSE courses were totally changed when Mr Gove turned the clock back on the school curriculum. My girls really enjoyed Steinbeck, for example, but that's all gone now. The syllabus for English Literature is largely Shakespeare and the 19th Century novel as it was when I was at school. Sadly it's switching young people off English and those that go on to further study are getting fewer.

I couldn't agree more about having books in the house sugarbaby . We have hundreds although mostly we keep reference books and recycle novels. We've decided to get rid of our travel books though as these days we tend to Google 'Things to Do' before we visit places and maybe print off an itinerary for city breaks. DH has just taken a few more bags of stuff to the CS including those books.:)

We're having a workman free day today. So cross with the water board as they're messing us around. We're having the pipe to the meter replaced as it was old and corroded and we have to wait for them to connect the foot or so from our boundary. Until that's done we're on the old water supply. The bathroom's looking good with all the walls and flooring done before he fits the new suite. Even when it's done we'd be foolish to connect to old pipe as the bits of sediment could get into new shower pipes and wreck it. :(

I had my hair done this morning. I've kept some of the length at the front but had the back cut back into my neck. I'm pleased with it. Hairdresser agreed with me that I don't need highlights yet. I've got a dancing event in late September so I might get them done then. I always try to go to the hairdresser when I'm going somewhere to take advantage of paying for the blow dry.:)

I'm going dancing tonight and then tomorrow we're out for the day with DD2 and DGD2. She'll want to go shopping but it'll be good to see her anyway. She lives 30 miles away so we don't see them very often. :)
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just slathered my foot in tiger balm, and taken some paracetamol. Struggling to weight bear so that's todays plans cancelled. Won't be able to drive either,

So I'll just rest on the sofa and hope it sorts itself out. Don't think anything is broken but there are so many tiny bones in the feet it's hard to tell.

Recently my chiropodist asked me what I'd done to my little toe. I said I didn't know. She told me it was broken in two places. It did hurt but I had just put it down to arthritis but thinking about it I remembered I had stubbed it on a coffee table leg. No wonder it hurt.

I was going to go to a pub quizz tonight but I'll give it a miss because driving will be a problem.

Never mind, I've got plenty to keep me amused.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just slathered my foot in tiger balm, and taken some paracetamol. Struggling to weight bear so that's todays plans cancelled. Won't be able to drive either,

So I'll just rest on the sofa and hope it sorts itself out. Don't think anything is broken but there are so many tiny bones in the feet it's hard to tell.

Recently my chiropodist asked me what I'd done to my little toe. I said I didn't know. She told me it was broken in two places. It did hurt but I had just put it down to arthritis but thinking about it I remembered I had stubbed it on a coffee table leg. No wonder it hurt.

I was going to go to a pub quizz tonight but I'll give it a miss because driving will be a problem.

Never mind, I've got plenty to keep me amused.

LL I am sorry to hear of your suffering. I hope the tiger balm and the paracetamol have brought the pain in your foot down to a manageable level. Enjoy your quieter evening at home and rest your foot as much as possible :grouphug:
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've now got two days out planned for September as well as the concert with my husband.:) I'm going to a trendy cafe in east London to meet one old friend and then meeting her and another person a week later. I'm not sure where we are going.

I don't really like that Clarins cream! I won't be buying that again.

I have some sugar in my cupboard that I have had for ages as I stopped drinking tea and coffee earlier in the year. I'm going to make a sugar body scrub to use in the shower as I have some scented oils.:A
    maman wrote: »

The Handmaids Tale really doesn't appeal to me either. I don't favour sad tales at all.

I don't watch sad things either. I used to when I was younger for some reason.
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning lovely ladies

Thankfully the foot is a little easier. I have been invited out for coffee this afternoon but it was in the city centre and would have meant a fair bit of walking.

I am cooking a feast for 11 tomorrow, so what with shopping today and cooking tomorrow I will be on my feet quite a bit anyway. So as boring as it may sound I have decided it better to decline. Just need to take it steady for few days.

I've got a rough menu in mind. Just need to go shopping this morning and I'm going to try and cook some dishes in advance this afternoon so as to take the pressure off a bit tomorrow.

I'm going to keep it simple and may even cheat a little with some pre prepared bung in the oven bits and bobs.

No point in being a martyr.....:rotfl:

The house is clean and presentable and the front garden looks nice, so not much to do on that score.

The back garden is no longer flooded but some of the shrubs are looking a bit worse for wear. I think I'm going to have to do a rescue mission, put some of them in pots with fresh compost. Then move them to a drier spot if they recover. I'll do that in a couple of days.

I'm going to get my sons friend who is a landscape Gardner to come and take a look and see what we can do. Improve the drainage and perhaps install some sort of balancing pond. I want to remove the pathetic excuse of a lawn anyway. I might just bite the bullet and go for a Japanese style gravel garden which is what I wanted anyway.

Although realistically I think that will be a job for next year. He's always booked up months in advance.

It will probably mean I might have to forego any fancy cruises next year. :rotfl:

I don't mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Glad your foot is feeling better LL!

Thankfully, I think my skin is starting to come down now. Had two positively horrific things on my face, and a third one was brewing but appears to actually be going away now, so taking that a positive sign!

I bought a "petite" maxi dress the other day, not because I am normally the right size for petite clothing, but because whenever I seem to buy maxi dresses, they have always been dragging on the floor. I put it on and went downstairs, didn't even get to look at it in the mirror as OH turned his nose up and said "it's too long". I didn't know what to say other than "It's supposed to be long, it's a maxi dress" :rotfl: :rotfl: I will try it on again later and decide for myself whether it looks ok, I don't trust his opinion if his opinion contradicts the actual style of the dress :rotfl:
  • crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad that your foot is feeling better today LL - hope that it's all good by tomorrow and the big feast.
    I had my brow and lash tint today. It was lots less stressful than I was expecting and the lady was lovely. I think I quite like it - it'll take a bit of getting used to the darker brows but it's a definite improvement. My dd had her nails done and she's thrilled to bits with them, although it's a good excuse for her not to do anything because she is a bit incapacitated while she gets used to having them.
    It has given me the motivation to keep going. I'm absolutely exhausted but still look ok rather than all washed out...
    And I had to read Thomas Hardy at school - not the best. I read The Handmaid's Tale a few years ago and have quite enjoyed watching it on tv.
    NST September #8
    Working hard to pay off my debt
    New start after lockdown