Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Travel insurance after 2 years out of UK?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
4 replies 663 views
baggies666baggies666 Forumite
47 Posts
I am coming to the end of my 2 years policy and my current insurance provider says they cannot offer me any more extensions, I was not planning to come back to the UK for at least another 2 years and wanted insurance for another 2 years, because of my age (55) and pre existing condition general health insurance not any good for me.

Does any one know is it possible to get another insurance plan for 2 years as I have been out of the UK for 3 years now?, if I have to return back to the UK before taking out another policy is there a minimum time I have to spend back in the UK?

May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500


  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you return to the UK you need to stay for at least six months.

    Two travel insurance policies that you can buy when you are anywhere in the world: True Traveller and Nomads. I have no idea how they handle people with pre-existing conditions.
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Are you sure that travel insurance will cover your needs? as being out of the UK for 5 years without returning doesn't sound like a holiday.
    I doubt very much if you will find any travel insurance provider willing to cover you for such an extended stay out of the UK.
  • edited 19 August 2019 at 3:28PM
    baggies666baggies666 Forumite
    47 Posts
    edited 19 August 2019 at 3:28PM
    That is what I was thinking and wondering how long I would have to be back in the uk to start another policy I suppose 6 months sounds correct thanks, I have a house so will come back at some point just wanted to stay away longer, it just seems easier to cover my pre-existing in the uk than here in asia.
    May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

    Mortgage £128,170.66
    DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500
  • ArchergirlArchergirl Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It would seem you are using travel ins as health ins, not sure they are the same thing.....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals