Forum Home» Special Occasions & Other Celebrations

* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread - Page 44

New Post Advanced Search

* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

868 replies 120.1K views

Replies

• mandcomandco Forumite
    789 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    haven't been on in forever Can't believe how quickly this year has gone seems to have flown by and I haven't even started my xmas prep yet
    Hope everyone is doing ok

Princesskitty Wow 5 already bet wiggle is full of attitude

Love the snowman box idea I might do something like that this year as xmas is going to be on a serious budget :( and the kids being older the things they would like are so much smaller/ expensive the present pile will look tiny.

Middle ds is the one I think I'm going to struggle with the most as other than the ps4 he has no real interests and he's not yet bothered about clothes/smellies so trying to find some filler gifts that aren't just buying for the sake of it items that will be resigned to the back of the cupboard is really really hard.
    Taz on the other hand is easy to buy for in the moment but changes his mind like the weather so what he wants 1 day hes gone off of by the next so trying to figure out what will stand the test of time. Currently we're having a minecraft/fortnite phase but blimey the merch is expensive so will def be looking for deals.
    Hoping argos will have a 3 for 2 soon as his birthday is coming up.

Don't have as many presents to buy this year as due to finances we've agreed to cut back. We're also buying for our own kids only and adding an extra gift from each relative rather than buying and swapping gifts. I think this will work well as it means everyone gets things they really want/like rather than random stuff, multiple of the same or us simply swapping like for like gifts-last year ds got 9 lynx sets. It also prevents the inevitable upset when one party take the time and effort to buy something really nice and another just gives the kids a selection pack.

Dgd has her 1st xmas & 1st birthday within a week of each other so not sure whether to get her a bigger joint gift and then some smaller bits for each or to just buy for each one separately?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • Opee92Opee92 Forumite
    85 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    A quick heads up to all those ladies waiting for the 3for2 at Argos I’ve done some digging on the internal communications and it would appear that it is “supposedly” a promotion that the company no longer wants to do. Chief of marketing put out a message to say that instead of 3 for 2 they will focus more on toy promotions (talk of 20% off weekends much like Smyths)

Whether or not it is something the company will stick with (a part of me wonders if they’re saying this to stop it getting leaked everytime the promo is on - also because the company have become too predictable holding them at the same time every year - I guess this has made it easier for competition; Smyths, Tesco etc to put toy promos on at the same time?) I don’t know but I can confirm that stores have been asked to discard any 3 for 2 pos as it will “no longer be needed”

Sorry for rambling I just wanted to keep you ladies in the loop ��
  • Thanks for the heads up Opee.
    I wonder if it's also to do with the bad press they've had the last couple of years for hiking the prices the day the 3 for 2 starts. I've always managed to do well out of it tho but think I'll just start shopping without waiting for it!
  • mandcomandco Forumite
    789 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Opee - A lot of disappointed people this year if that's the case but I can understand why they would decide not to offer it though I can see them losing a lot of sales.

Need to get a bigger table or find a way to extend the one we have as dd and family want to come for dinner this year.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • doodygirldoodygirl Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no I hope that’s not the case with the 3 for 2. I think I better do some research with my lists and compare prices elsewhere.

Runs off to check other stores
    Wishing everyone the best of luck for 2020 ☘️
  • Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing good today. Really exciting to see the thread getting busy with all your news of your Christmas buys, I love this thread at this time of year when all the stuff starts appearing in stores and people share info. It makes me very happy. Good intel on Argos 3for2 Opee.

I went to Dunelm yesterday and picked up a beautiful set of ribbons from the haberdashery section, a pack of 25 different 2m lengths in all red and greens, so christmassy and only £5 which I thought was cheap for so many varieties in good lengths. I can't work out how to put photos here, but already putting them to work on my Instagram!

Dunelm also had some lovely hanging animal decorations for £2.50, Deer, elephant, cow and hare among others. Don't think they were officially Christmas decorations, but could def be used as such. I bought a set of four hanging wooden hearts for £2.50 another bargain.

Sainsbury's also had a suspiciously empty row, hopefully for Christmas chocolates to go onto soon.

Not long now until the shops are in full swing.

Joyfullyfestive
    :santa2: Joyfullyfestive all year round. Instagram: @joyfullyfestive :santa2:

✭✭
    Hey... so much for popping on every so often :rotfl:
    Hope they don't get rid of Argos 3 for 2 I usually get my last bits o that so it's done.... it's usually towards end of September as my vouchers have usually arrived just before
    Done a fair bit for Xmas! Got to get it all out and sorted through properly.. I do have my list but seeing it is better can see how much I've actually bought.
    Park vouchers will be here next month! Been topping up for Asda Xmas savers... only £85 left to top up! Tesco Xmas savers is topped up ready for the bonus and put some on the morissons one too although I'm not sure if that one will make the £97 for the bonus or not.
    Just need to get the kids back to scholl to declutter the toys and sort the living room ready!
    Also purchased Xmas bedding for the first year... cannot wait to get that on other half will kill me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • LMG1305LMG1305 Forumite
    177 posts
    Xmas Saver!
    It's official, I am fed up of summer & want Christmas to be here now! I have started my Christmas shopping & even planned a Christmas craft/baking day with my sisters. I think what kicked it off was because we had an offer accepted on a new house a few weeks ago, so should be in by Christmas and the first thing I thought of is where I would put the Christmas trees lol

Then I came across JoyfullyFestive's Instagram page & I'm obsessed!

I've been scouring everywhere online looking for when stores are bringing their Christmas range out. So far the only one I've found is Matalan, which as of today is in 14 days. I remember last year Matalan being one of the earlier releases, but other shops followed suit soon after.

I'm also getting quite excited for Halloween this year. Costco have got their Halloween decorations out now so I want to pop down there this week. We bought a Halloween wreath last year, so I want to add a few more bits this year to get into the spooky spirit.

I've been thinking about our daughters Christmas Eve boxes and already have a list of what I'm going to put in them. I like the things in these boxes to be 'Christmas', so Christmas PJ's, a Christmas book etc, so I won't be able to get any of these things until the Christmas ranges are out, but I have ordered some Christmas sweet/cookie/gift bags to put the Christmas cookies in that I'll be making closer to the time.

I know Disney store have their tree decorations in stores and online now. I'm going to have a look at them over the weekend but we did buy a few things in DisneyWorld this year, so I don't know if I will get anything yet.

In regards to the Argos 3for2 thing I will ask my friend. She is a store manager so they usually find out these things much earlier, she used to tell me the dates when she knew them, but I don't really buy much from Argos anymore so she doesn't bother now. I always found the prices weren't much of a saving because some stuff in Argos was priced higher than places like Amazon.

I've bought my stepmum some Christmas candles. I've actually bought them for her birthday though, which is at the end of September. She loves Christmas as much as we do & the candles are 'Christmas Eve', 'Christmas Day' and 'Boxing Day' candles, so I think it makes sense to give them to her now because she can use the Christmas Eve one on the actual day.

I got really excited yesterday because a friend posted on her facebook that Tesco have started stocking the Christmas chocolates. Much to my disappointment, when I got to my local Tesco I found it's the bags of chocolates, not the tubs. The tubs are nostalgic for me, so I was muttering around the store to myself that 'they're not Christmas chocolates'.

Anyway I've rattled on for far too long but I'm going to go back & try to catch up on some of the more recent posts to see how you're all doing :)
  • I cannot wait until payday to start getting some stuff in. Think this year I need to get serious and rather than a scribbled handwritten list in my diary, think I need to go full throttle and start a spreadsheet!
  • Linz, I'm going to get Christmas bedding this year too. My OH will also kill me but meh lol