Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again - Page 216

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 11:33AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 258.1K views

Replies

• lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :wave: hello Carol. Welcome to the gang.
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    maman wrote: »
    So pleased your purchases were just what you wanted Wednesday . I had a quick look in Sainsburys yesterday and bought some leopard print slippers.:D I thought of you with your navy fetish. ;) They had a sparkly tote bag which I liked and, although I'm not sure if it's your thing, a navy sort of fisherman's jumper. :)

Good to have you join us Carol . I'm so pleased I've bought into fabbing. I feel so much better about myself. I was people watching again today at the game. An older lady who sits next to us usually looks good in her red jacket (team colours) and black trousers but today she was wearing her summer beige. :( It was so ageing and frumpy. It's seeing things like that, that drives me on and makes me more determined. :) While I wouldn't wear a football shirt I make a gesture on match days so today was black leggings, grey tee shirt and a red sort of hoody type cardi. I saw another woman who was 60 if she was a day wearing a football shirt and shorts. She looked ridiculous IMO. :eek:

I meant to buy a bag in the Tu sale. I did see a red bag in Topshop online, £10 reduced from £25. I might just look out for one from a charity shop instead.:)

I saw a woman on the tube wearing shorts, tights and trainers when I went to see Muse in concert. She was blonde and attractive but she was around 50-55 and it was not a good look.:o She looked like she was trying to look like a Spice girl.:rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Ladies,

LL, congratulations on finding a beautiful Monsoon size 10 skirt in your local charity shop that fits you as if it were made for you. So well deserved after all your healthy eating

Why oh why do mature women think the mutton dressed as lamb look is ever flattering? :( They just look ridiculous rather than looking stylish and/or attractive

I had a quick look online at Sainsburys women's sale items and none of them were for me. I found the items overpriced even at sale prices. :(

On eBay I buy beautiful, stylish clothes from Kaleidoscope, Kaliko, Coast, Monsoon, Wallis, Jane Norman and similar ranges for less. :D I must confess that when it comes to clothes and shoes thanks to eBay I can afford to be a brand snob now ;)

I have never bought clothing from Sainsburys before. When my children were really young I did buy them clothing from Tesco, Asda and Primark and I got lots of bargains for them from local charity shops. :D
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why oh why do mature women think the mutton dressed as lamb look is ever flattering? :( They just look ridiculous rather than looking stylish and/or attractive

On eBay I buy beautiful, stylish clothes from Kaleidoscope, Kaliko, Coast, Monsoon, Wallis, Jane Norman and similar ranges for less. :D I must confess that when it comes to clothes and shoes thanks to eBay I can afford to be a brand snob now ;)

You do seem to buy quite high end clothes.:) Very stylish. I do like Coast. Maybe I should look on ebay too. I know I had an ebay account at one point.

About the mutton dressed as lamb (I do hate that expression) but the woman I mentioned I saw on the tube also had her hair up in a high ponytail in a bright red and white scrunchie. It was like she was trying to look young, why not just wear a school uniform? Jeez!:D
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She looked like she was trying to look like a Spice girl.:rotfl:

Love it!!:D

I don't wear shorts as, because I have a long body, I don't find them comfortable. My legs are fine but I only wear short skirts in a holiday resort or with thick tights or leggings. There was a woman in Aldi on Friday in a short dress. it was a very nice leopard print wrap around and she had a leather jacket with it as it was cold and miserable. It just looked all wrong to have a big expanse of leg showing in that setting and in that weather. So it's not just about 'mutton' it's about occasion too IMO. :)

I think you have to be selective in Sainsbury's Tu but that also applies to most other shops. I think that's one of the arts of dressing well is being selective whether that's in the CS or a high end store. It's separating wheat from chaff. We've all been through rows and rows of washed out Primark in the CS only to find a hidden gem. I think that's one of the pleasures of the CS. :)

I used to buy a lot from Monsoon a few years back but they lost their way a bit like M&S. Each season it was exciting to see what they had in but then they moved to over embellished tops and wanted to charge far too much. It sounds like you've got a skirt from when they were good LL. I think they're struggling to stay in business. Our city centre branch has closed and there's just Accessorize left at the moment.

I'm not sure if I could be so strict with myself on clothes shopping Maddie but the points system does concentrate the mind. I probably could go all year without buying new but I'm always on the look out to replace certain things. I definitely need a raincoat and a long wool coat and my black, quilted jacket has been worn to death. I won't buy any of them tough unless I see something I prefer to what I've already got.

Just had an email from our plumber to say he's not coming tomorrow. We're being messed around by the water board so he's doing another job to free himself up for when they can come. He'll be back on Tuesday though. :)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do quite well on eBay too, but got out of the habit. I found Jacques Verte suited me well, the sizing worked for my shape. I did try other brands but struggled with the sizing. But now I have lost weight hopefully it does open up new ranges for me.

I have made a decision though that now I have plenty of clothes I don't actually "need" anything as such, so I can now concentrate on "wants". So I shall actually be buying fewer but better clothes iyswim especially if I am lucky enough to find them in charity shops. Especially now that I am more or less at my desired weight I don't mind paying a little bit more.

I know I'm a bit of a fabric snob but one thing I had noticed this last couple of days both with the George clothing in Asda and the Tu range in Sainsbury's is that quite a lot of the fabrics looked a bit flimsy. And not in a nice floaty summer way. Even garments that were quite structured looked quite limp. I tried on a couple of jackets and they just didn't hang right, especially the ones with collars or reveres. I don't think they would wash particularly well.

I guess it's how they keep prices down, using inferior quality fabric.

I treated myself to a couple of little fashion books, published by the Design Museum. 50 Women's Fashion Icons that changed the world and 50 dresses that changed the world. Nice little books, great fun.

Have had a productive day, but very tired and sore now. My muscles are protesting. :rotfl: thankfully I have a massage booked for tomorrow. So just going to take it easy now. Read my books and watch a couple of nice film and of course Poldark. :rotfl:
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LL have to tried selling on Shpock? It's so much easier than ebay, n no fees:D
    I can't get into Poldark this series, no idea why, but binge watched the new ITV series Deep Water last week.It's brill :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning lovely ladies

Thanks Candy for the Deep Water recommendation, it does look interesting. I need to set up on demand and catch up.

I usually watch the Handmaids Tale and record Poldark. For some reason it didn't record so I missed it, another reason to sort out catch up.

At last the Handmaids are starting to rebel. Last night our heroine killed one of her oppressors. The worms are finally turning. :rotfl:

I don't know if any of you are watching it but it's taken from a book written by Margaret Atwood. I think she wrote it in the 80s. It's set in a then not too distant dystopian future where the birth rate has fallen drastically. Fertile women are kept as breeding stock and are slaves. As you can imagine it's very gloomy but there are some flashes of dark humour and morbid wit.

Massage today and hopefully a bit of kitchen cupboard sorting. I made a start and threw some old pans and bakeware in the skip and I have decanted some cleaning materials into the shed. Getting there. My new oven has arrived so need to get to grips with that today.

I'm cooking for 11 on Wednesday......I've rather got out of the habit of cooking for large numbers of people. :rotfl:
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got back in touch with an old friend and we are meeting up next month, hopefully. I will have to make sure I fab up before I meet them.:)

That Clarins new cream made me break out slightly, annoying. I did fall asleep before taking my makeup last night so maybe it was that instead.
    I usually watch the Handmaids Tale and record Poldark. For some reason it didn't record so I missed it, another reason to sort out catch up.

At last the Handmaids are starting to rebel. Last night our heroine killed one of her oppressors. The worms are finally turning. :rotfl:

I don't know if any of you are watching it but it's taken from a book written by Margaret Atwood. I think she wrote it in the 80s. It's set in a then not too distant dystopian future where the birth rate has fallen drastically. Fertile women are kept as breeding stock and are slaves. As you can imagine it's very gloomy but there are some flashes of dark humour and morbid wit.

I had to read the novel at sixth form, I remember it being very depressing so I haven't watched the show!:D
  • edited 19 August 2019 at 10:51AM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 August 2019 at 10:51AM
    OMG. Not a book for young impressionable girls. :rotfl: Far too depressing.

Surely they could have found something a bit more uplifting. It always astounds me the books they choose for English Lit courses. They are often so boring, enough to put younger students off reading for life. I was in my 40s so was already a firm lover of books so I could take their less than stellar offerings in my stride.

We had DH Lawrence to plough through......:rotfl: Definitely not one of my favourites. Another misogynist. Allegedly he was a premature ejaculator so of course he blamed women for his lack of sexual prowess, hence the anti women rants you get in so many of his books.

Now as you know I'm a Derbyshire lass and Lawrence came from Eastwood (Notts of course but near enough to be a neighbour) He was very unpopular in Eastwood for a long time because a lot of the locals felt he painted them and the town in a very bad light. They have a point. Both Lawrence and his mother were pretentious snobs. She felt she had married beneath her.

Sons And Lovers is largely autobiographical and it depicted the miners as brutes. The locals were upset and they retaliated by calling him a "[email protected]". A local insult for people who whinge and whine over nowt. :rotfl:

I remember our lecturer was obsessed with the man and insisted we went on a field trip to Eastwood......god knows why, there wasn't much to see. Luckily it was a nice day so most of us wandered off for a nice walk in the lovely countryside.

I can laugh at it all (and did then) but it didn't make me very popular with the lecturer.......he always marked down my essays because I dared to critique his hero. :D.