New Post Advanced Search

refund for faulty goods

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
6 replies 483 views
elloiseelloise Forumite
12 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
My brother bought a tablet online from argos on August 1st. It turned out to be faulty and he was going to return it to his
local store but he passed away suddenly. Can a family member take it back and get a refund or exchange bearing in mind he paid for it
using his debit card?

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.

I believe only your brother has consumer rights and in this unfortunate situation, I think those rights now transfer to his estate. You could try and see if Argos would help, perhaps agreeing to accept vouchers in return. If not, it would be down to the lawyer administering his estate to deal with it.

That’s my understanding, anyway. Others may have a different insight.
  • elloiseelloise Forumite
    12 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you just wanted to know one way or the other.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As above. You could take the death certificate to the nearest Argos and explain in the hope they offer some help. They are not obliged to though. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
  • preablepreable Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    They may offer vouchers if you return It and explain your situation
  • edited 17 August 2019 at 6:58PM
    Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2019 at 6:58PM
    Sorry to hear.

I think this would be down to the executor of the estate to deal with as its a financial matter. As once his bank is aware he has passed, his accounts will be frozen. (From past experience)

However, if you don't fancy going into the store, you could always fire off an email explaining the situation to see what they say. At least then you will know beforehand, saving you a trip and freeing up time to deal with his other affairs.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    17.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The executor(s) have whatever consumer rights the deceased would have had, so strictly speaking it would need to be the executors asking for the refund. What in practice Argos would require (e.g. to see probate, if the rest of the estate is large enough to warrant that being needed), I don't know, and I suspect it would baffle the average member of staff - so I agree with the suggestion of asking first.