New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Red Arrows

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
201 replies 16.2K views

Replies

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you anywhere near one of the flight routes?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'd need to drive NE for about an hour probably.
    Foggy where I am .....
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope someone nominates Tony Foulds to get an OBE.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the Missing Man formation very dramatic, and poignant.

Anyone who didn't see the flypast can get it on iPlayer, etc., although I'm sure it will be repeated on news bulletins.

It was a shame that Dan Walker, who was strategic in getting this off the ground, couldn't be there, but he is out climbing Kilimanjaro for Children in Need.

I think that's a good enough excuse! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis wrote: »
    I found the Missing Man formation very dramatic, and poignant.

Anyone who didn't see the flypast can get it on iPlayer, etc., although I'm sure it will be repeated on news bulletins.

It was a shame that Dan Walker, who was strategic in getting this off the ground, couldn't be there, but he is out climbing Kilimanjaro for Children in Need.

I think that's a good enough excuse! :D

Lame excuse! see what work say next Monday when I use that excuse and tell them I should be back in on Tuesday!
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've followed this story on Breakfast for a while.

Dan Walker had met Tony, just by chance, and was so impressed by his dedication to these unknown Americans that he contacted the American embassy. Ironically Dan Walker is way so missed this fly past.

Pyxis, definitely someone deserving of an honour and not a piddling one.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I listened by accident, just trying to find something worthwhile on radio, as I was going to Ikea Sheffield. Too late to see any fly past, though.

Amazing story and the few items, which were recovered, including a pair of goggles, belonging to a crew member, was more than enough to make you think. Just THINK!!!!

VB
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have just found out that the Red Arrows will be doing a 10 minute display over Boston Harbour next Monday, as part of their North America tour.
    By coincidence, I shall be in Boston next week, so will do my best to catch the display - I’ve not managed to catch a display here for several years (except on TV :o )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    MFW #4 :) OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33
    2020 YTD £837.07 Jan £69.76, Feb £67.31, Mar £700.00
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have just found out that the Red Arrows will be doing a 10 minute display over Boston Harbour next Monday, as part of their North America tour.
    By coincidence, I shall be in Boston next week, so will do my best to catch the display - I’ve not managed to catch a display here for several years (except on TV :o )

It is good when that sort of stuff works out, I hope you enjoy it or enjoyed it :beer:
  • edited 27 August 2019 at 1:37PM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 August 2019 at 1:37PM
    In the end it was a bit disappointing, unfortunately.
    It was publicised on local news channels as being a 10 minute display, starting at 11am.
    It was 30 degrees by 10.30am (with humidity making it feel 5-6 degrees hotter) and quite a crowd had gathered at Long Wharf in high anticipation. The chap behind me had driven nearly two hours to see them.

11 o’clock came and went, by 11.15-11.20 a number of people started to give up and leave. We were still watching planes taking off and landing at Logan Airport, just across the harbor - we knew they’d have to stop these before the Red Arrows arrived so plainly nothing would be happening imminently.
    Eventually, after standing out in the blazing sun for more than an hour, they arrived - 11 planes, flew past in the V formation with the coloured smoke on. Lots of whooping and cheering from the crowd. They circled around and flew back past in the opposite direction, then repeated this once more before peeling away, one by one and landing at Logan. And that was it.

It was nice to see the flypast but, if I’m honest, not worth waiting for so long in the heat and blazing sun.
    (Luckily I was headed out to the Boston Harbor Islands by ferry about an hour later to escape the heat and humidity in the city, so had to be at Long Wharf anyway.)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    MFW #4 :) OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33
    2020 YTD £837.07 Jan £69.76, Feb £67.31, Mar £700.00
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end