Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
1.6K replies 157.2K views

Replies

• tlcgranthamtlcgrantham Forumite
    116 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Fringe Fun Special Pack today Cost £7.56 Worth £9.35 at 19.1% discount
  • I have deliberately refrained from making too many comments during my first year with Powershop. Now, having completed 12 months on this tariff, I can share these figures.

During the year I consumed 6,345.5 kWh of electricity (I don't have gas) 64.7% was on the 'off peak' tariff of 10.71 and the remainder on the 'peak' tariff of 19.46. (Top Shopper July 2018 Issue 1). The total paid was £964.18 but after discounts the net figure was £692.44, a saving of £271.74. I purchased all the PowerPacks on offer.

This compares to a total of £952.43 the previous year (2017/2018) with E.ON. So I saved £259.99.

Reviewing alternative suppliers there is little difference so I have decided to stick with Powershop for the timebeing. I am now on Top Shopper Electric 2019 v.2 Tariff.

Day Rate 22.06 comes down to 17.43 with discounts
    Night Rate 10.62 comes down to 8.39 with discounts
    Daily charge 21.96 comes down to 17.35

One of the big bonuses for me is the Powershop App for my iPhone. It is very easy to use. Now that it has 12 months of data it is going to be much easier to do comparisons with the previous year.

Although I have a smart meter, installed by my previous supplier E.ON, I still have to read my meter once a week and enter the data manually. Powershop assure me that they hope to have a compatible software for my existing smart meter up and running in the next few months.

Hope you find thee comments useful.
    116 posts
    Your figures and comments were most helpful.
  • EquitesEquites Forumite
    81 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Fringe Fun Special Pack today Cost £7.56 Worth £9.35 at 19.1% discount

I got a laughable 12% discount for my Fringe Fun Special Pack (equivalent to 5 days of electricity). Going by my records that is the worst discount I have ever been offered in a special pack since joining in June 2018.
  • fewkestefewkeste Forumite
    471 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Equites wrote: »
    Going by my records that is the worst discount I have ever been offered in a special pack since joining in June 2018.

Do you think it's time to look elsewhere or will you stay with them?
    81 posts
    fewkeste wrote: »
    Do you think it's time to look elsewhere or will you stay with them?
    In short term will be staying as intending to move house in the next few months.
    Thereafter I will be going to whichever supplier is cheapest (as long as they have reasonably good reviews).
    That latter point is the key one, as at the moment Which? switch energy is telling me that there are 15 available plans cheaper than Powershop here in North Scotland, but all with energy minnows with less than glowing customer reviews.
    The cheapest currently is Northumbria Energy (by a considerable amount) but looking at the history behind that company I think I'll pass. Having endured a painful transition to the Co-op when GB Energy went bust, not in the mood to repeat that kind of hassle any time soon.
  • fewkestefewkeste Forumite
    471 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    @Equites - I quite understand your position. At least if you're buying poor discount packs just in case you need them, you'll at least have the peace of mind to know those poor value packs won't get used unless there's no other credit on the account.

I was sad to leave in April this year but I commend PS for the speed with which they issued a refund for my unused and partially used Powerpacks.

As I've indicated previously, I would have no hesitation in returning to them if they become competitive again, as their methodology requires customers to get more involved with their energy consumption than more traditional suppliers.

I'm saddened by the fact that the Npower influence is probably behind the move to less competitive pricing we see nowadays - it's not an accident - it's a deliberate policy we see being played out.

Unfortunately there's no room for sentiment and loyalty if getting a good deal is important.

I would dearly have liked to have stayed and been loyal to them because PS were very good to me in my early days with them (compensating me for problems/delays caused by my previous supplier.)

But loyalty at a considerable cost to me? - unfortunately a bridge too far I'm afraid.
    116 posts
    Cost £5.98 Worth £7.27 at 17.8% discount
    Npower have reduced their standard tariff but so far no movement on Baseline.
    81 posts
    Cost £5.98 Worth £7.27 at 17.8% discount
    Npower have reduced their standard tariff but so far no movement on Baseline.

Once again Powershop offering a lower discount, in my case 16% for the equivalent of approximately 3 days worth of electricity.
  • NoblemanNobleman Forumite
    28 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    I've switched my electricity away from Powershop to Symbio as my tariff was ending. I also have gas with Powershop but that tariff doesnt end until November so do not intend to switch away just yet as there is nothing cheaper available elsewhere. However I have received a message from Poweshop saying 'Unfortunately we are not set to supply gas only accounts at this time so you will need to ensure that your new supplier submits a request for your gas as well.' This is not possible as Symbio only supply electricity. I have never been told this before and nowhere on their website does it say this. Can they force me to switch away before my tariff ends?