Can I post a passport to the US?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
42 replies 2.5K views

Replies

• benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    He wouldn't lose his right to stay in the UK when entering on a US passport but there may still be a problem in the future.
    If he enters the country solely on the basis of his US passport, it will be stamped accordingly (or recorded if he uses the eGate) allowing him to stay for 6 months.
    If he doesn't then leave the country (again, on his US passport) within this time, he could well be flagged up as an overstayer.

Although this shouldn't have any repercussions should the border agency investigate as he could prove his legal right to be here, it could still mean a bit of unneeded work.

Just send your son a copy of his UK passport and the immigration officials can easily use the details from that along with his US passport to show that he has full right of entry and abode in the UK.

I think the risk of being flagged as an overstayer is extremely low, considering that the UK's exit immigration system is something of a joke. They have only a vague idea of which people that entered the country are still here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/an-inspection-of-exit-checks
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    benjus wrote: »
    I think the risk of being flagged as an overstayer is extremely low,

I agree, but however low, the risk is still there.
    Considering that this risk can be totally eliminated by simply having proof of being a UK citizen (such as a copy of a UK passport), I still it would be wise to carry a copy.

The OP's son may be unlucky and be one of the people who does get flagged up as overstaying and has problems sometime in the future because of it.
  • bigpappabigpappa Forumite
    205 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think the risk of falling foul of the Hostile Environment though small is still larger than the risk of getting the passport lost if it is sent by Intl registered Mail.

Now the irony would be if I sent it to him and he lost it on his holidays!
  • edited 23 July 2019 at 10:12PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2019 at 10:12PM
    bigpappa wrote: »
    I think the risk of falling foul of the Hostile Environment though small is still larger than the risk of getting the passport lost if it is sent by Intl registered Mail.

Sorry - what "Hostile Environment" are you referring to? Hostile to Americans?

EDIT: If there's a subsequently a problem about entering the country on a US passport, all he needs to do is to present his UK passport. (Good reason to keep it safe). May involve some inconvenience, but not so much as losing his UK passport in the mail - or it not arriving in time.
  • eamoneamon Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As of tomorrow and BoJo in charge expect visas US citizens to be abolished.
    205 posts
    Who would have thought sending a passport is prohibited by most courier services.

UPS and the courier brokers will not accept a passport. I called up Parcel Force and they said it's ok to send it but will cost £33.50.

Intl Recorded and signed for does not guarantee delivery! So even though its about £10 that's out of the question.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He's already in the 'hostile environment' of Trump's America, as long as he gets out of there in one piece he'll be doing well.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would have thought sending a passport is prohibited by most courier services.

UPS and the courier brokers will not accept a passport. I called up Parcel Force and they said it's ok to send it but will cost £33.50.

Intl Recorded and signed for does not guarantee delivery! So even though its about £10 that's out of the question.

I don't think £33.50 is too bad for such an important document. How much would it cost you to travel to the airport so you're there for his return with the passport should he have any problems at immigration? More or less than £33.50?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    205 posts
    I don't think £33.50 is too bad for such an important document. How much would it cost you to travel to the airport so you're there for his return with the passport should he have any problems at immigration? More or less than £33.50?

I decided to go with Parcel Force Direct for £33.50 even though brokers charge £16 for the identical service using Parcel Force.

The brokers said even though the service is identical we cannot send passports if you book through us and use the identical parcel force service.
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really dont see why you are bothering.

If anything does come of it (and the chances are seemingly slim by the sounds), he simply produces his UK passport. Save yourself £33.50.