edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.4K replies 818.2K views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I hope not, choille. :)

Sam has a cough. After his visit to Lydford Gorge today, it might develop. The Gorge is famous for its falls, and he had one, right here!6a0105371bb32c970b01348051d5c4970c-pi

On Sunday, we visited two very different localish NGS gardens on two sides of the same lane. There, Sam was just building up to a ducking in the one with a Japanese theme that had 9 ponds:

P1030484.jpg

I felt better after visiting the other garden, which was on the same terrible soil. I thought ours was stony, but theirs was just rocks and clay. :( The lady owner had similar tastes to us in plants, but far more resources to throw at her landscaping, so she'd covered a much larger area than we have. However, the field from which she'd carved the garden was fighting back. Weeds everywhere! One advantage of going more slowly is that the ground is cleared of most nasties by the time plants go in. :D
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hiya folks

been off the radar for a while as don't seemed to have a spare moment to myself !
    been VERY busy looking after friends granddaughter [who is a delight] with her riding lessons .
    she had her first canter last week and she just took it all in her stride [sorry bit of a pun there ! ] she is doing very well for a 9 year old .
    tomorrow we are plaiting up her ponies mane [purely to show him off ] as she is SO proud of him ... then off we go again to try and get the fat lump [pony] to JUMP !!!
    her dad is coming to watch her there tomorrow [previously banned] so fingers crossed she doesn't fall off in front of him !

the old cat [lily cat] who has been visiting me for a year now and lived in my summer house has died ... she was well loved / owned by my friend but decided it was more peacefull here for some weird reason .. she only lived 3 doors down ! gardener found her ...

I still have one field left to cut for hay ... we missed the slot between weather and am hopefull we get another !

we certainly haven't had the dreadfull weather others have .. lowest has been 15 degrees ... we had a few days of high winds and random rain that appears from a blue sky ???
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I still have one field left to cut for hay ... we missed the slot between weather and am hopefull we get another !
    Maybe.... in the magical New Forest microclimate, but you'd not get it here, I fear. Feels like autumn!

DD1 & Co went off wild camping on the coast two days ago: tarpaulin, compost toilet and natural spring shower. :cool:

Oddly, they are returning here tonight! :rotfl:
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RAIN RAIN WIND RAIN .... OH AND MORE RAIN !

jeese , no let up ALL day !

think that the hopes of another hay cut are dimming daily ....
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your forecast looks fine for the week ahead, alfie. :) Mind you, that's only the BBC version.....:lipsrseal

Despite the persistence, we've not really had a huge quantity of rain here, measured by the facts that I shopped in shirtsleeves this morning and our stream still isn't running.

Yesterday was decent, with a trip to the seaside with Sam and his folks. His Mum is still the same; wouldn't stop prawning until the waves were breaking over her in the last rock pool!:rotfl:

Our holidaymakers have gone home now and it's eerily quiet.....:D
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • choillechoille Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very heavy cloudbursts & gusty then sunny. Loads of water everywhere - quite surprising how much really.

Swallows gone & house martins which is early but they arrived early. Loads of dragonflies zzzzzzedding around - lovely to see them in good numbers again.
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crikey, you lose the swallows and martins early.:eek: Ours have finished family-making, so congregate to chat on the wires at times, but hopefully they won't go and take the feeling of summertime with them for a few weeks yet.

The rain's stopped, and with guests gone, so have our excuses for not working. Back to the grind! :undecided
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sshhhhh suns out today ....

got a load of rubbish stacked in garden corners today OUT , in trailer, in skip ... amazing what I thought I would use one day !!
    going to surge on again tomorrow so I don't look SO like the clampits live here !

still have the summer house roof to sort or will regret it by next spring !
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    well fetched the bow top today ..... scary covering 75miles on the edge of my seat !!
    I wobbled more than IT on the back of a low loader !

anyway its here ... BUT wont fit in the barn ...aaargh
    about 3 inches too tall plus the chimney pipe !
    so its on the drive for tonight and will have to go in the pole barn tomorrow. found a guy to re canvas and re varnish /repair anything so hopefully will be "wagons roll" soon ...

got our 2nd field cut for hay on Monday so will be in by Friday ...
    lovely weather here at the moment [hence hay /wagon moves ]
    off to the great dorset steam fayre on Friday . taking friends grandaighter [that ive been teaching riding] as she will love it 1st time ...
    well im kernackered and need a barf ... hope you have all had a good week so far ?
  • edited 21 August 2019 at 9:51PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 August 2019 at 9:51PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    .. hope you have all had a good week so far ?
    Average to middling, thanks. It's dead here; absolutely nothing happening around us. :undecided The road is so quiet we've only sold a few courgettes today. Emailed the plumber again.....nothing!:wall:

DW has been head-hunted by her former employer to help with the Christmas trade 100 miles away. :huh:That's fine, because not much happens here in December either! Will she still remember anything after 12 years away? I certainly couldn't go back to my old job for a couple of weeks, but then,no one's asked me. :cry:

In similar vein, DD1 went for an interview with her old employers yesterday; the ones who offered her big bucks just to stay in her former role, which she refused. She doesn't expect to get the job she applied-for, but she went to remind them she's still around, still angling for the position they wouldn't give her!:rotfl: That's my girl! :A

Good about the hay. Rain threatened here this evening, but it was just the edge of what passed over choille today, I think.

BiL has taken the caravan off to the coast and it looks set fair till he returns next week.
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg