»

train tickets - best time to book

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

train tickets - best time to book

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
6 replies 1.4K views
greenfacegreenface Forumite
4.9K posts
Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
thanks for reading . 2 adults heading from Liverpool lime street to London Euston . Our dates are January 31st 2020 Friday . returning 2nd feb -sunday . prices on virgin have not yet appeared yet . What is the best priced option to travel on train direct . best boarding times around 10 am out and 2 pm back but flexible . do not fancy a coach .Thanks
:cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:

Replies

• Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    check when 11 - 12 weeks before start date.
    Put a reminder in your calendar
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    check when 11 - 12 weeks before start date.
    Put a reminder in your calendar

Virgin advance tickets are apparently now available up to 24 weeks prior to the departure date.

There's a calendar at the bottom of this page here showing dates for which advance tickets are available (click on the cross at the bottom of the left had side of the page to show it), although it currently only goes up to the end of October.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6033607

From personal experience (although not done it for a while) I don't think there are that many advance tickets issued on Friday trains into London as they're usually pretty full anyhow
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Virgin advance tickets are apparently now available up to 24 weeks prior to the departure date.

There's a calendar at the bottom of this page here showing dates for which advance tickets are available (click on the cross at the bottom of the left had side of the page to show it), although it currently only goes up to the end of October.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6033607

From personal experience (although not done it for a while) I don't think there are that many advance tickets issued on Friday trains into London as they're usually pretty full anyhow

When did they change it? I didn't notice...

If it is up to 24 weeks, there should be cheap advanced ticket for Dec, but they are still expensive...

BTY, I booked my train ticket from ebooker last time through cashback site.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Gwr it’s up to 24 weeks on weekdays (but has stopped on 13th December so presumably due to Xmas) and sats/suns are 11 - 12 weeks, seems to be 11 recently.
    I find the system is updated around 14:30 on a Friday.

That’s gwr buts sounds similar.
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    366 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Would the two together rail card help reduce the costs? We have a friends and family one and it save loads of money with it
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would the two together rail card help reduce the costs? We have a friends and family one and it save loads of money with it

Good suggestion - and if you have a Tesco Clubcard you can get one for £10 worth of vouchers