Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

The Edcawber Principle - Page 152

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Edcawber Principle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2K replies 227.8K views

Replies

• Busy_Mee1Busy_Mee1 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are dead right re making DD use her own spending money to fund toys and treats, not only from your financial point of view, but also teaching her the value of money.

We did this with our two children and they are both really good with money as adults. Neither of them have debt, other than a mortgage and both save for things they want.

It was amazing as well, how often, having to fund things for themselves when they were young, made them rethink their desire to have it.

I also agree you don't owe DD the child benefit. We used ours throughout our children's childhood because we needed it, but then once things improved financially we funded things like driving lessons, cars and university support, so they didn't lose out.
  • edited 27 July 2019 at 3:24PM
    edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 July 2019 at 3:24PM
    Sorry gang - without meaning to enforce a grumpy Ed echo chamber - I am pretty set on trying to wrangle DD a healthy nest egg by the time she gets to adulthood. Words such as "owe" are purely in terms of me trying to budget and do the accounting, they're not meant to be loaded with meaning and I certainly don't think that anyone who has done things differently is in any way wrong. Different strokes for different folks and I respect you all, just don't want to start that chat again :)

On the same topic, money "for her" was always meant to be a split between a wee bit of spending (pocket money) and a wee bit of saving (ISA). Pocket money will be deducted from the total that we aim to pay back to her ISA, as she won't be having her cake and eating it. Won't make a huge difference at this point (she has been receiving pocket money for roughly 4 months), but over time we'll be paying less into the ISA as she grows up and needs more money spent on day-to-day things.

YNAB continues to make me weep blood :rotfl:

Things I have forgotten/haven't made allowances for:
    • A two night hotel stay in October (£160). Don't want to cancel it as over Mrs E's birthday and booked to allow for an activity that we've already paid for
    • The cost of Pr1me (dodgy student version at £39, renews in August)
    • A £2.99/month channel subscription through Pr1me. Keeping this, but now taking it from Baby budget
    • Another kid thing

On the plus side, I have included our Premium Bonds, so that adds £150 and I have cashed in £100 of loose change this morning (paid straight to current account). More importantly, Mrs E has a job interview coming up for a post that could offer a pay rise of 20% (it's not that simple once total benefits package is calculated, but that's the headline figure).

I had hoped to buy a bike outright for commuting, but it is not going to be realistic. Even a cheap hybrid bike is a couple hundred quid and I'd need a helmet, mudguards and panniers for the huge amount of crap I take into work. I think I'll need to look into our cycle to work scheme, even though I think it's overly laborious and the tax benefits probably aren't worth the faff. It could work out to be quite affordable though, as any purchase would be spread over 18 months and I'm not looking to buy an expensive bike.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Could give you a pink helmet. :think:
    Maybe not :rotfl:
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beanielou wrote: »
    Could give you a pink helmet. :think:
    Maybe not :rotfl:

I'm not that comfortable with my masculinity :rotfl:
    73.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not that comfortable with my masculinity :rotfl:

Shame :p
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • teapot2teapot2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was going to suggest looking into the Cycle to Work scheme - haven't used it myself so wasn't sure how complicated it would be.
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have trimmed the budget again as we appear to be overspent for next month (damn YNAB pestering me). With a little bit of luck, we now have a balanced budget (where is the praying smiley)? :rotfl:

To achieve this I have had to cut: cat funds *2 (10% each), Baby 15%, Transportation 40% (public transport and parking), Groceries 10%, Home Maintenance 80% (emergencies only), Gifts 10%. I have also stopped funding two DD "nice to haves" that have taken another £25/month or so out of the budget.

Not a huge difference overall (about £200), but it should right the ship. Cash flow should also improve by c. £230/month from November (the effect of unbudgeted expenses disappearing and a pay rise of 6%).

Anybody else bored of budgeting chat yet?

I have packed my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow already to save money - currently running down the cupboards and I am eating some right random !!!!!! :D
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have trimmed the budget again as we appear to be overspent for next month (damn YNAB pestering me). With a little bit of luck, we now have a balanced budget (where is the praying smiley)? :rotfl:

To achieve this I have had to cut: cat funds *2 (10% each), Baby 15%, Transportation 40% (public transport and parking), Groceries 10%, Home Maintenance 80% (emergencies only), Gifts 10%. I have also stopped funding two DD "nice to haves" that have taken another £25/month or so out of the budget.

Not a huge difference overall (about £200), but it should right the ship. Cash flow should also improve by c. £230/month from November (the effect of unbudgeted expenses disappearing and a pay rise of 6%).

I have packed my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow already to save money - currently running down the cupboards and I am eating some right random !!!!!! :D

🙏 you always seem to be on top of things when I read - my mild obsession with having enough money means I don't really get bored with budgeting talk - it's better than always being surprised when things pop up

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £6,318.35/£5k 100.22% after November (yay!)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,627.06/£3k 87.57% so far at end of Nov
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary is debt free but I still post sometimes Get a grip Woman
  • hiddenshadowhiddenshadow Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost never bored of the budgeting chat (also post on YNAB's forums, which obviously devote themselves to budgeting). :)

Hope the spending cuts are easily managed - the brilliant (& not so brilliant) thing about YNAB is it does force you to face the music regarding what you actually spend on a regular basis. (But then there are very few surprise bills to contend with!) Knowledge is power vs ignorancy is bliss, I suppose.
    73.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a good week :)
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    ***Keep plodding***