NST A Gentle Jog Through July

edited 28 June 2019 at 6:40PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
409 replies 27K views

Replies

• chocolatelover93chocolatelover93 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

Been a while since last check in, have just been taking a break from things and having some time to myself.
    Thank you for all the well wishes. I am going to get there I just know it's gonna be a long ride.
    I have been trying to take as much "me" time as possible and trying to do stuff when I find myself sitting down and feeling low. The other day I give the kitchen a good clean.

DS was ill again last week (tonsilitis) so had a day off nursery and lots of mummy cuddles to feel better. His development has come on leaps and bounds though! Filling in his two year check (for the third time :() I am actually ticking the "always/often" box instead of "not yet" which is a massive step. He is also now asking in his own way to have his nappy changed and is actually answering yes now as well as no! To some people this may seem like the norm but for DS it is amazing as 6 months ago he only said about 3/4 words and would only hear you when you were in front of his face.

Not been keeping track of NSD but I don't think I have had many this month :(

Anyway off to go and catch up with the thread!

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    apple - this is the toaster

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUMMIT-Folding-Toaster-Ideal-for-Camping-Fishing-Lightweight-Compact/323734723087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

you can even make a cheese toasite with them , one at a time but camping is all about slowing down. I am currently trying to talk DH into wild camping in bivvies, he's not sure.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD NO 16

We didn't go the the party. Himself phoned our friends this morning and they were quite understanding - asked if I'd like to go on my own. Just as well we didn't. He's now upstairs having a lie down. That's been happening more and more recently. He's looking very tired.

So dinner is done. Just to be heated through. I will have to shop tomorrow. Need veg and coffee.

Other than that I'm having a quiet day.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link dolly - it makes perfect sense now I see it!

Today I am grateful for getting some sleep (dd has been coughing through the night recently), for a lie-in until 7.30, for headspace, for a workout, for my wonderful evoo + himalayan sea salt body scrub, for dd choosing to go to dance classes, for my red goosegogs, for my sunflowers getting taller, for the Tour.
    NST June; NSD 10; Ex 15; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all :j

Busy day again today, seem to have spent most of it in the kitchen...strawberry jam (well conserve, its a bit runny) made and chocolate cake made for the emergency services...last one for a few weeks.

Also made rice pilaff & honey chilli chicken, all gone now. Got ingredients ready for more chocolate cake - visitors tomorrow, but at least we should get a slice this time.

Am missing gardening but plenty of housework & baking to do first.

Still I did get an NSD today, so now on 9/12

Hang in there turtles
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope ds gets better quickly chocolatelover. Great to hear about his progress:T
    NST June; NSD 10; Ex 15; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning.

The sun is shining today, it was supposed to rain all day yesterday but wasn't actually that bad after all. One load of washing is on the line and another is on the go.

I think I have had the last of my strawberries now so I need to find out what you do with the plants after they have finished fruiting. The raspberries that I put in this year have finished now but I should get a lot more fruit from them next year, I have had a lot from the wild rasperries that grow in my front garden, they are a bit smaller but still taste lovely. I am thinking about putting in a couple of small apple trees and a pear tree. A neighbour has two apple trees and they are quite compact, more shrub size really but he gets loads of golden delicious type apples, he never picks them but I've asked him if I can and he's fine with that.

Did some charity shop shopping yesterday, I got a cross body messenger type bag for my trip to Rome, it is a mans apparently but it is quite small and will fit my water bottle, purse etc.

DD's phone died yesterday, it has been getting slower and not holding its charge (only 2 years old but that seems to be the life span), now it won't charge at all. She wanted a new one for her birthday in December so we have replaced the phone but it will be half her birthday present and half the other December celebration, this is the same thing we did two years ago and it doesn't seem to be a problem for her. We already had the money set aside in the birthday fund.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • Morning all,

Achieved NSD #5 yesterday!

Work event went well - commemoration garden for World War 1 - was a moving event. Weather was nice too so we were lucky.
    Came home and did some self employment work then chilled in the eve and had a glass from my free half bottle of wine :)

Going to make some payments to my CCs and then do some housework in prep for parents' visit!

Hope everyone has a good day
    Deni xx
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2020 #96
    Total CCs £1574.23/3,550

£2 savers club 33

NST July #12
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    dolly the strawberries will put out runners - long strands of green with little lumps/ clumps about every 6 inches to a foot. The clumps are your new strawberry plants for next year - if there is room nearby, just shove them into the soil (leave them attached to the 'mother' plant until they have established them selves.

You can also peg or weight them down (with a stone) and let them dig them selves in. They will do this them selves naturally but if you want to choose where they go or space them evenly, put them where you want them. If there isn't room in the bed where they are or you are giving them to someone else, plant /peg or weight the 'clumps' in their new location.

Strictly speaking strawberry plants last about 3 years and when they were grown by rich people with hundreds of gardeners they would be rotated across 3 beds (second bed from first year runners) with the first bed cleared completely after the third year. This isn't absolutely necessary (just discard any diseased plants or pick the best to keep if space is limited) it was a 'make work' to keep young gardeners out of mischief - like tying all the daffodils in neat knots after floering.

I originally bought a dozen plants (came in a small bag) and spread them all over my small yard (died when I moved to the other house). Mum had some of my runners and had hundreds of plants at her partner's house (he had a long narrow back garden which had been used like an allotment and well fed over the years).

Lots were transplanted to the bungalow. They were put in a side bed and the ground surrounded by stones. The runners tend to race across on to the flagged area and I've spent many hours putting them back on the bed (cleared the stones away to access the soil) and getting them to grow nearer the fence. I also took an old raised bed of mine there, put it together, lines it with weed suppressant fabric and some of last years runners are in there (not yet fully covered but in a few weeks we will have many more runners). Going to bring some back here.

Raspberries - it's worth sacrificing the odd cane by bending it flat across the ground and burying it under the soil (may need to weight it down with stones or pegs or it may spring up again). You won't get fruit from that cane but will have lots of new canes next year.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Feb No 6 No Debt No mortgage
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one owns the water
    No one owns the land
    No one owns the oceans
    No one owns the sand
    These are given by our mother
    The planet provides for free
    Only by the hands of the greedy
    does the earth require a fee
    Poet Christopher

Rest is not idle, is not wasteful. Sometimes rest is the most productive thing you can do for your mind and body

FRAGILE
    Not like a flower
    Like a bomb
    Kaboom
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Feb No 6 No Debt No mortgage