2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

edited 14 February 2019 at 1:15PM in Old Style MoneySaving
990 replies 67K views

Replies

• PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    What awful news, Pip - so sorry (and thanks for the update, Laura).
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • CAFCGirlCAFCGirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh heavens, that poor lady and her loved ones.

Much love Pip xx
    One income, home educating family life
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2019 46\66 Excess Spent 28/2/2020 YARN
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 14/66
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh how awful, Pip so sorry. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, all of you, for your support and kind words. Laura's PM was lovely and helped too.

It was the shock, more than anything else. And the wave of empathy for the groom. (That poor man! I can't even imagine what he's going through.) There were six of his friends from the UK at the wedding in November and we're all slightly at a loss about what to do next. He's been in NZ a long time. The bride was a Kiwi, so he'll have her large family to deal with - there were dozens - as well as some close friends to comfort him.

Hug your friends, my dears, and tell them that you love them.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 33/66 coupons spent
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    732 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    PipneyJane wrote: »

Hug your friends, my dears, and tell them that you love them.

- Pip

And even your online friends who don't technically exactly know you as such but still care about you... more {{{{hugs}}}} for you, Pip xx
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    732 posts
    ✭✭
    Hurrah, I had a day in bed yesterday lurgied with the throat/cold that has laid out my chap for days now, and was barely able to think but did use the time to hand-sew the pockets into the black linen skirt, and while I was about it, sort out the over-wide elastic at the back of the waist which always had been prone to folding and twisting inside its over-wide channel. In replacing it with normal inch-wide elastic in a snugger channel, I was able to lengthen the back by about 1.5" which makes the skirt look tons better (my backside tends to shorten skirts at the back horribly). I shall keep an eye open for some suitably nice ribbon to bind the inside of the hem, just for prettiness, and I need to do some overstitching to tidy up ragged bits on the front waistband, but otherwise, it's looking nice!

So now I have a really nice skirt, from one which I had planned to get rid of! And no coupons spent!

I hope this afternoon to get on with making my green linen skirt. Buttonholes down the front to do, pockets to insert, buttons to sew on, and hem to measure, check and hand-sew...

I am really starting to get the hang of this - trying to make or re-make or alter what clothes/fabric I already have, to make things which fit better and suit me better than anything I could buy!
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    And even your online friends who don't technically exactly know you as such but still care about you... more {{{{hugs}}}} for you, Pip xx

Thank you. You're a Honey, as are all the ladies on this thread.
    Hurrah, I had a day in bed yesterday lurgied with the throat/cold that has laid out my chap for days now, and was barely able to think but did use the time to hand-sew the pockets into the black linen skirt, and while I was about it, sort out the over-wide elastic at the back of the waist which always had been prone to folding and twisting inside its over-wide channel. In replacing it with normal inch-wide elastic in a snugger channel, I was able to lengthen the back by about 1.5" which makes the skirt look tons better (my backside tends to shorten skirts at the back horribly). I shall keep an eye open for some suitably nice ribbon to bind the inside of the hem, just for prettiness, and I need to do some overstitching to tidy up ragged bits on the front waistband, but otherwise, it's looking nice!

So now I have a really nice skirt, from one which I had planned to get rid of! And no coupons spent!

I hope this afternoon to get on with making my green linen skirt. Buttonholes down the front to do, pockets to insert, buttons to sew on, and hem to measure, check and hand-sew...

I am really starting to get the hang of this - trying to make or re-make or alter what clothes/fabric I already have, to make things which fit better and suit me better than anything I could buy!

Laura, I'm in awe, if that is the type of crafty inspiration hits you when you're ill. I hope you feel better soon.

I started sewing up Summer Jumpers Are Casual, last night, starting with hand sewing in grosgrain ribbon to support the button band and starting on setting in the sleeves. I think the sleeves will be just large enough for the armholes, after the modifications I did (adding 10 rows to each front shoulder to increase the neckline). I'm half way through stitching the first one into position.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' " o:)

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 33/66 coupons spent
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    'starting to get the hang of this' - honestly Laura, you seem to me to be streets ahead of most people in this respect!

I have had too much work and not enough time recently - things are getting a bit quieter over the next week or two and I am determined I'm going to tackle my phobia of altering things, especially things I have made.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    732 posts
    ✭✭
    Polly, is there something that only needs a really simple alteration that you could put on top of the pile and then sit down and do it, and feel your confidence rise a little?
    (66+8.5 from last year)

732 posts
    ✭✭
    It's only mid-July, but I'm finding my mind drifting towards autumn clothing already, and even winter!

I'm making myself a cosy fitted cardigan-jacket, mostly for wearing indoors in winter but it would pass outdoors too - the pale cream is yarn from the jumper that my Mum never knitted me from Xmas 2013, and I'm just working out what to use with it for a patterned cardi.... I had planned to go out and buy, but I'm carefully considering what I have already AND then considering what colour skirts and tops I war in winter, and what will go with those, and it looks like I just about have enough without spending more coupons.

I think it's the first time I've EVER made design decisions based on "now what will go with what I wear most in my existing wardrobe for that time of year?"!

(Pale bluebell-blue, fyi - the ivroy/cream is Aran weight pure-wool, and the blue is bulky weight wool-synth, and they knit up fine together on 6mm needles and I machine washed the sample piece twice to find out how it behaves! )
    (66+8.5 from last year)