Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) - Page 104

New Post Advanced Search

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
4.9K replies 629.7K views

Replies

• GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) What's a secure key, please?

My bank has a Verified by Visa thingummy but this may have been superceded by texting me a code when using a new payee for the first time. I quite like that, it's simple enough to use.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) What's a secure key, please?

My bank has a Verified by Visa thingummy but this may have been superceded by texting me a code when using a new payee for the first time. I quite like that, it's simple enough to use.

Due to the new legislation banks are having to add in another layer of security. Some are doing this by means of the customer having a card-reader - a small, calculator-looking device into which you insert your cash card, producing a code you have to key in when online/phone banking; others have similar-looking devices which you have to password-protect then when in use it produces a code to key in; other banks are using the OTP (one time passowrd) opetion being sent to the registered mobile (or landline by 1 or 2 banks) phone number.
    This thread on Budgeting and Bank Accounts has more details https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Thanks for that, dreaming. I don't do online banking so I guess I missed that, just do a (small amount) of online shopping.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the legislation to support all with disabilities, I can see a large size &/or Braille domestic gadget being produced & stashed awaiting everyone fed up with tiny keys! jk0 I hope they have one delivered to you soon & I do wonder how on earth they'll cope with the dyslexic community.

And on a completely unrelated note, you may not have realised the market price of the coffee bean has dropped? Which means farmers are earning less & therefore less likely to nurture their crops despite the demand for the end product increasing... The breakdown is eye-watering and another strong reason to carry a reusable cup with you - gouge down the profit margin a sip at a time.

Oh course, we do still have (& cherish/raid/enjoy/refill) our tea stashes, but I'm sure we all know someone who doesn't touch the stuff....
    Prepping for the awkward squad was never easy and while I can;t afford my own plantations I will be forging closer links with the middlepeople to see if I can't get & store a sack of beans for gradual depletion, grinding & enjoyment. Or at least access to their suppliers at a "not Dear Heavens, More Tea needed!" rate...
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my efforts to be disaster ready !! I am learning to weld.
    I have my machine which is a gasless flux core welder and various bits of metal to do it to. Just awaiting the magic self adjusting helmet and leather apron ,then look out anything not fixed down LOL.
    I have had a go with the little hand held face mask thing that came with the welder which works but I had to tie it to my head to have use of both hands still .. and wearing a leather jacket and gloves and it seems quite fun so far . Any other closet welders out there ?
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a closet welder, but I'm very impressed at you learning that particular skill, good for you! I'm stll digging the garden ... and I need to do something about my uncurtained kitchen window :( next door neighbour just told me she disturbed a man in her back garden at 1am last night :(
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting guys:

A fortnight ago I finished renovating my latest rental. Since then I have been incredibly lethargic, sometimes falling asleep several times during the day. I already take Glucosamine, Sea Kelp, and multivitamins with iron.

I have been wracking my brains what food I could be missing out on now I'm based at home all day. It has only just come to me: I used to take Marmite sandwiches to the flat, but just have plain toast for lunch at home. I've had Marmite on my toast the last three days, and have started to feel normal again.

Amazing that that little jar, could have such an effect, eh?
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all those B vitamins, jk0, Marmite is packed with them. I hate the stuff, though,
    One life - your life - live it!
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If in doubt - eat Twig1ets!
    Angie

GC July 20 £333.36/£450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • edited 21 July 2019 at 9:34AM
    culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2019 at 9:34AM
    Marmite has folic acid I think .Not sure of the spelling. Its made with some sort of yeast too which might explain the b vitamin thing.
    I remember it being recommended in pregnancy. If you find it a bit sharp, the shops own versions are sometimes milder.
    We have tried vegemite too but I think that is less salty tasting and needs getting used to more .

We had a book by magnus pyke which recommended Black treacle as you got older. He said it helped with memory. Handy if you like ginger cake.