The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 130.5K views

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Downshifted - Laura-Elsewhere has come up with an absolutely brilliant description. It's pretty much how I started sewing when my kids we small (they're both in their 40s now!).

After that I started making shirred dresses by a similar method and just putting several rows of stitching across the material until it pulled in the top, then sewed the seam up. Attaching ribbons from front to back on both sides and tying into a bow on the shoulders. Kids loved them.

I've since progressed onto make stuff for myself and even once made DH a shirt (but only the once!). I haven't been able to get at my machine for a while as we've been having work done on the bungalow but have got loads of material that needs using. My next project when I get round to it is a couple of pairs of trousers - I've got the pattern as well so I'm all ready when I can find the inclination!

Denise
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mademoiselle - only just seen your post. I'd put elastic all the way round - I often alter my bed sheets & do this as there's nothing worse than having a wrinkly sheet under you thats moved off the mattress. TBH my boat is small so we just use sleeping bags ;)
    Only sewing recently has been more alterations for DgD - taking up trousers as usual. She didnt inherit her Nonna's long legs poor kid ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Downshifted, for about £100 you can get a decent starter machine - John Lewis still do their basic one for £99 and it’s very good.

If you have a bit more to spend, then things that I appreciate on my “upgraded” machine are: the ability to stop with the needle in either the up or down position; top loading bobbin (makes it easier to see when it’s running out) and a quick backstitch function for the end of seams. None of those is essential, they are nice to have though. The one step buttonhole is brilliant, but I’ll be honest and say that I’ve only done buttonholes once since I got the machine! Whatever you buy, it will have about 10 different fancy stitches. I predict that you will use about three of them! If you scroll back in the thread quite away, I’m sure there was a recommendation for an online sewing machine supplier whose prices seem to be good.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • downshifteddownshifted Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well thank you all for your comments. I’ve been to a village show today and picked up a simple pattern for a gathered skirt and harem trousers in my size for £1 on a charity stall (will take Laura-Elsewhere’s advice & make one for my granddaughters first). A lady there is selling an old but not heavily used Janome for £25. I’m calling her tonight to find out more. I guess it will need to have an instruction book, she says it works fine but I don’t yet know what it has/does. I’m a bit torn, because I want to be sure if things go wrong it’s my fault, not that of a machine, but then £25 and quickly get on to do simple stuff might be worthwhile, worry about something better later?
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    849 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Get her to show you how to thread up and use the machine and wind the bobbin when you go to collect it!!!!! Ideally take along a friend who already can use a sewing machine, who can see if there's anything not standard, a bit different, that needs a question asked to make sure you don't end up stuck (I dunno, maybe most machines have this bit that way round but your machine has it the other way round.... you know the kind of thing!)

Once you have the detailed model number etc., you may be able to find the instructions online.

And raid charity shops or supermarkets or jumble sales for old sheets to practice with :) Most Councils even have textile-rag recycling, so you won't even be sending those practice bits to waste! :)
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you again Laura-Elsewhere, some good advice there. I had some old sheets in my charity shop bag, they’re going to be deprived now I’m afraid ��
    Downshifted

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charity begins at home downshifted! Well done on getting the pattern for a £1. Patterns are really expensive new.

The last patterns I got were with a sewing magazine for £3.99 and it had 3 patterns in it, one of which was the pattern I wanted for a pair of trousers.

Agree with Laura Elsewhere about getting the lady to show you how to do the basics and also to have a go with it. I think it definitely worth getting the machine. You can always update it later once you've had some practice if you think you need a new machine, but if the cheap 2nd hand one works there's really no need unless you want to do more complicated things.

Denise
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Downshifted - if the machine runs OK and has the facility to do Zig Zag you'll probably find it will suit your purposes for quite a while. At £25.00 its worth a punt - good luck
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I’m going to try the machine tomorrow :-)
    Downshifted

1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So I now have a sewing machine! It’s a Janome XC 33 Special Edition and does far more than I’m ever likely to need. I think it’s a bargain and I’m glad I didn’t spend much to start. I hope to start trying some basic sewing tomorrow, thanks for all your support and advice.

I’ve bought good scissors, tailor’s chalk and pins, is there any more equipment I need to start?
    Downshifted