edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
18 replies 1.9K views
2»

Replies

• NivNiv Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Wasps will not use the same nest after a year and will not build a nest near to an existing wasp nest. Therefore either; leave the old wasps nest in place when you have destroyed the colony or install a 'fake' wasp nest in the location.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • DigitalSheppardDigitalSheppard Forumite
    25 posts
    I had a wasp nest in a rental property and went through a private company to have it removed. Cost me less than £40.

Is it worth shopping around for a company which doesn't charge through the roof?
  • wesleyadwesleyad Forumite
    676 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That's something which doesn't happen. Wasps never return to an old nest, but they may build alongside one, especially if there is a good route in/out.

No that's not what I meant, it wont stop wasps coming in to their current nest, it will only stop them building a new one next year. Its a prevention, not a cure.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a wasp nest in a rental property and went through a private company to have it removed. Cost me less than £40.

Is it worth shopping around for a company which doesn't charge through the roof?

I have phoned around in the past. The price is steep because it's on the attic roof. Rentokil said they would charge us £300 :(:(:(

The first time we had an infestation, it was on the house roof so it only cost £44 but we had a discount card for the local council so got it half price.

We just want them gone to be honest. My brother won't go into his room because he can hear them through the ceiling.
  • LaracLarac Forumite
    924 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Personally - I would shop around for a quote and get rid. We had a wasps nest in the eaves and everybody said - leave them be - they ended knawing their way through the ceiling:eek:

We are also plagued with them - it seems every other year either we get them or the neighbours - always come back to a different spot!
  • edited 19 July 2019 at 6:54PM
    SlitherySlithery Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2019 at 6:54PM
    Larac wrote: »
    We are also plagued with them - it seems every other year either we get them or the neighbours - always come back to a different spot!
    Where have your neighbours been building their nests? Personally I'd have called the police.
  • Missus_HydeMissus_Hyde Forumite
    518 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    We had a huge wasps' nest in the stables, which my husband uses as a workshop. They were very active and defensive of it, but we got some wasp nest killer foam from Wilko's and sprayed it in the evening at dusk over two consecutive nights when they had all returned to the nest.

That really did the trick, although it made rather a mess and we did have a lot of corpses to get rid of. :cool:
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the Council came and said they could not get rid of it. He wanted to drill big holes into the attic wall and what not and the end cost would have been close to £1000 because building services would also have to come around.

The wasps seem to have done a runner now. It's not that noisy in the room and I can't seem to see any coming and going.

Thanks for all the advice.