TUI Complaint- where to now?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
21 replies 2K views
AndyLGRAndyLGR Forumite
229 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
My son and his girlfriend recently went on an all inclusive 7 day holiday through TUI to Spain. When they got there the hotel pool was being renovated, basically it was a building site outside, all cordoned off as they were working on it. Lots of noise and dust making it impossible to relax in or use their facilities. After all who wants to holiday in a building site? They were not informed about these building works beforehand.

When they came back I suggested they complain to see if they could get any money back, as the place obviously wasn’t what they bought nor as advertised. So they used the online complaint form and sent them pictures and videos of the hotel.

TUI have responded and fobbed then off. Apologising for them not being aware of the work and in a nutshell they go on to say it’s a hazard of modern day hotels that are open all year round, as local authorities can sanction work like this at any time. They then have the cheek to sign off with the hope they’ll use TUI again in the future, they thank them for their feedback and there’s a polite request to ask them to fill in a customer survey.

So where now for this..... I have no experience of having to complain about a bad holiday in an effort to get something back. Has anyone here ever complained with TUI before? Should they be tenacious and redo another form? Should they write to their head office instead? Can they take this grievance to any of the travel agent controlling bodies? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• malkie76malkie76 Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They needed to lodge a complaint at the time, not afterwards. Just looks like they are trying to scam some money back (I realise this isn’t the case).

Further complaints won’t work, so I suggest a LBA then small claims, although loss of enjoyment isn’t really solid grounding.

Maybe try their twitter, and hope for something, but it will likely be a voucher towards a future holiday.
    Legal team on standby
  • GrumpelstiltskinGrumpelstiltskin Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked TripAdvisor reviews to see if anyone mentioned the building works before they arrived?

If for instance someone had mentioned them 2 weeks before you could use this to prove Tui must have known in advance and they should have notified them.

The more information they can put together the better.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the name of the hotel and when did they travel there?
  • AndyLGRAndyLGR Forumite
    229 posts
    ✭✭
    There’s plenty of stuff on trip advisor about the works with bad reviews from people that went in June. It was the Be Live Experience in Costa Adeje. They were there in June too.
    229 posts
    ✭✭
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Further complaints won’t work, so I suggest a LBA then small claims, although loss of enjoyment isn’t really solid grounding.
    What’s an LBA?
  • edited 19 July 2019 at 9:42AM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July 2019 at 9:42AM
    TUI have responded and fobbed then off. Apologising for them not being aware of the work.....
    That attempt to bodyswerve doesn't stand scrutiny - unless TUI have no reps who cover the hotel ?

Unless they were deaf and blind they would certainly be aware of significant disruption on site.

I would be pointing that out to TUI, and asking them to explain why their reps neglected to flag this up, if indeed they didn't.

Did your son and ladyfriend complain to the reps on site - as mentioned above you really need to raise issues in resort as a first step ?

Incidentally (unless it has changed since I had reason to use it) under Spanish Law all hotels etc. are obliged to keep an official complaints book on hand for clients to register grievances.

They are reluctant to make this known, for obvious reasons.

The establishment is then obliged to address the complaint and make a response, although this can take time.

It is worth registering a complaint on a major issue - then there is a record on file when it comes to further action.
  • z1az1a Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndyLGR wrote: »
    What’s an LBA?

Letter Before Action.
    229 posts
    ✭✭
    That attempt to bodyswerve doesn't stand scrutiny - unless TUI have no reps who cover the hotel ?

Unless they were deaf and blind they would certainly be aware of significant disruption on site.

I would be pointing that out to TUI, and asking them to explain why their reps neglected to flag this up, if indeed they didn't.

Did your son and ladyfriend complain to the reps on site - as mentioned above you really need to raise issues in resort as a first step ?

Incidentally (unless it has changed since I had reason to use it) under Spanish Law all hotels etc. are obliged to keep an official complaints book on hand for clients to register grievances.

They are reluctant to make this known, for obvious reasons.

The establishment is then obliged to address the complaint and make a response, although this can take time.

It is worth registering a complaint on a major issue - then there is a record on file when it comes to further action.
    They don’t recall there being any TUI reps there, although they did have a moan to the hotel desk to try and get some idea of a completion date (it wasn’t completed by the time they left). But due to the building work they didn’t hang around the hotel in the day, basically forfeiting the all inclusive side because it wasn’t somewhere they felt they could sit and relax.

I’m just not sure where they can go now for this though.
  • edited 20 July 2019 at 11:17AM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 July 2019 at 11:17AM
    They don’t recall there being any TUI reps there
    That doesn't sound right - we've had countless hotel package holidays with Thomsons/TUI and there has always been the service of a representative.

Where it's a big hotel with many TUI clients the reps can sometimes be dedicated to that establishment only, and reside there.

There's invariably some form of "Welcome Meeting" for all arriving guests, usually the following morning, and notices in the reception foyer to advise where and when you can meet the rep(s), as well as handouts on how to contact TUI in resort.

Anyway, apologies for digressing - my earlier point is that it is unreasonable for TUI to claim they were unaware of the building work at the hotel if their agents (reps) were performing their duties correctly. That just does not stand up to scrutiny.

I would be astonished if there was no rep service at the hotel in question, especially as it must be popular - it's being offered by Jet2 and Thomas Cook as well as First Choice/TUI.

Maybe a complaint to ABTA - but'll you'll need to make a strong case.

First question asked - was the complaint raised with the hotel management and/or TUI reps during the stay ?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TUI have greatly reduced their rep presence at hotels. Often all you get is a leaflet and contact number when they dump you on the transfer coach. If you're lucky there will be a folder at the hotel showing the trips available if you contact the office.
    The place I stayed this year had no rep attendance at all. They were available at set times at another hotel about 20 minutes walk away. Even the management of the apartments said they had very little contact from TUI and were expected to act as unpaid reps on TUI's behalf.