Ovo v2g - does it make sense?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
9 replies 2K views
michaelsmichaels Forumite
24.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
Haven't looked at the details but basically ovo pay 6p per stored unit exported on top of the standard unit rate which it obviously cost to charge the battery in the first place.

Not sure if there is any option for time of day arbitrage (fill batt using cheap rate, sell back at peak rate)

Not sure if you have to be on a potentially more expensive ovo tariff.

Not sure what the round trip efficiency loss is.

For those with PV you give up your export tariff in exchange for all exports getting 2p over import rate which sounds a good deal for those who export lots and a bad deal for those who use most of their generation.

Does anyone know any more?
I think....

Replies

• ZarchZarch Forumite
    390 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Its not 'all' PV exports though is it? I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I could get 18p per kWh for everything I export??

From the video, I think its only exports than come from your EV battery at peak times (dictated by them?)

And look like its EV owners only.

Admittedly its hard to find out all the details from the site. Its not spelt out too clearly really.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-to-grid-charger
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kWh) on a 3.68kWh SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    4.8kWh Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • edited 19 July 2019 at 1:22PM
    PiddlesPiddles Forumite
    123 posts
    edited 19 July 2019 at 1:22PM
    FAQs

Q: Will it affect my Nissan EV battery warranty?
    A: We are working closely with Nissan to ensure that no battery degradation is caused by V2G charging beyond what would be expected from normal charging using a standard EV home charge point. We continue to work with Nissan to make sure that during our trial, your existing warranty will remain unaffected.

That's doesn't sound like a "No". They should have sorted out something far more emphatic than that with Nissan. The technology has such potential, it must be in both their interests to have done so.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piddles wrote: »
    FAQs

Q: Will it affect my Nissan EV battery warranty?
    A: We are working closely with Nissan to ensure that no battery degradation is caused by V2G charging beyond what would be expected from normal charging using a standard EV home charge point. We continue to work with Nissan to make sure that during our trial, your existing warranty will remain unaffected.

That's doesn't sound like a "No". They should have sorted out something far more emphatic than that with Nissan. The technology has such potential, it must be in both their interests to have done so.

I have a leaf 24, they said I can only join if it is not in battery warranty
    I think....
    24.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zarch wrote: »
    Its not 'all' PV exports though is it? I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I could get 18p per kWh for everything I export??

From the video, I think its only exports than come from your EV battery at peak times (dictated by them?)

And look like its EV owners only.

Admittedly its hard to find out all the details from the site. Its not spelt out too clearly really.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/vehicle-to-grid-charger

So there seem to be two schemes - import cost plus 6p per unit if you don't have any generation.

Import cost plus 2p if you do have generation and you give up the deemed export - I am not sure if this is for all exported units or only those that have been through the battery.

Also not sure if 'import cost' is on a single rate ovo tariff or whether you can have an economy 7 style tariff and import at a cheap rate and get paid for export at a high rate.
    I think....
  • SolarchaserSolarchaser Forumite
    407 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I looked at it before and thought it was great... for ovo, and rubbish for me.
    Plus bulb energy is cheaper per kwh, so made no sense.

The FAQ I looked at said they wouldn't take a leaf 24, only 30+
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf and Lux 3600 with 17kwh useable storage
    24.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at it before and thought it was great... for ovo, and rubbish for me.
    Plus bulb energy is cheaper per kwh, so made no sense.

The FAQ I looked at said they wouldn't take a leaf 24, only 30+
    So you have to take an expensive PVP tariff to get a few pennies back - doesn't sound lik emuch of a deal.

They do now take leaf 24 but only if they are out of battery warranty.
    I think....
  • NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I looked into Ovo's offer when I had a Nissan Leaf. Didn't make financial sense to me. Everything in Ovo's favour and not a lot in mine.

There is some evidence that V2G will actually help prolong battery life.

Anybody considering the scheme, it's Chademo only at present.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    24.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any sensibly priced kit that let's you use your EV as a battery without going with a scalper like ovo?
    I think....
  • SolarchaserSolarchaser Forumite
    407 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Not as far as I'm aware, if you find any, please let us all know.

I cant understand why some of the ev home chargers dont offer this tbh.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf and Lux 3600 with 17kwh useable storage