edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
59 replies 6.1K views
12346»

Replies

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done, a good example for any future posters with extreme anxiety about relatively minor defects on their passports. A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • MagnoliaMagnolia Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    eDicky wrote: »
    A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!

Oh to use my passport often enough to have the lettering wear off!:D
    Mags - who loves shopping :whistle:
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the days of before the RFID chip in passports. My ex accidentally washed his passport and the main photo page was fine, apart from one corner, the bottom left which was starting to come apart. On the ferry home from Rotterdam, the security official suggested that to replace the passport
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no-one has discussed what sanctions should be applied to the dog that created all of this worry.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    martindow wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one has discussed what sanctions should be applied to the dog that created all of this worry.
    Frankie should receive a dog chew toy of some kind, perhaps souvenir of the trip, as consolation for the failure of his plan to foil his master's departure. It might also relieve his apparent deprivation of suitable objects to chew, as well as make up for the loss of his master's company during the trip duration.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    eDicky wrote: »
    Well done, a good example for any future posters with extreme anxiety about relatively minor defects on their passports. A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!
    Magnolia wrote: »
    Oh to use my passport often enough to have the lettering wear off!:D

Happily, barely any of the gold lettering remains on my passport. About 18 months validity left to have it completely worn off!
  • Hi all,
    I know this post is a few month old but I have had a similar issue.

In August my passport went through the washing machine and my picture was faded.

I couldn’t get an appointment before my next trip a few days later (online and the call centre showed the next available appointment was in 4 days times and then a 7 day turnaround for damaged passports despite me using the 1 day previously for a lost passport- I know I need to take better care!). So I risked using it on a flight to Ibiza and whilst the electronic machine did struggle it allowed me to travel on both legs.

However I stupidly risked it again on my next trip to Dubai last week where Emirates staff at Heathrow refused to allow me to board (if I had not gone to the baggage drop desk and just through security this may not have been an issue) after persistence they contacted Dubai border control who said they would not accept my passport. My main issue was that because of the no show rule I would not be allowed to use my return ticket.

Long story short I got an appointment the next morning at Liverpool passport office as I said I wanted to change my name (I was married two years ago and never changed my passport) when I got there they did says it’s damaged and should take a week but used their discretion and processed it in 4 hours and I booked a new return flight for £700 leaving that evening retuning back on the same flight that I originally had. I would like to get compensation for the return leg but can see nothing on this. If I was a no show I fully understand the T&Cs but if they have refused boarding then surely the return ticket is still valid. Any ideas/suggestions where to go next?

Thanks

Alex
  • The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    353 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It was incumbent on you to travel with the correct documents, you knew you had a damaged passport but tried to get away with it anyway.
    A costly lesson and I doubt Emirates or any other airline are likely to compensate your stupidity.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using a damaged passport to enter the EU is very different to trying to get through Immigration to a non-EU country.
    Airlines may be fined if they allow someone to travel who is then refused entry to the country.
    Even if you had just gone to the bag drop and got through Security you would probably have been refused entry when you landed in Dubai - the phone call made to Dubia Immigration indicates that.

As this article shows, a number of airlines cancel returns flights for 'no-shows'.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-7003117/No-way-airlines-cancel-return-ticket-miss-flight-out.html
    Interestingly:
    Emirates and Flybe say they will protect return flights if passengers contact them after missing a flight. As will BA, 'if a customer has a genuine reason'.
    So Emirates do have flexibility with return tickets for no-shows.

What did you say to Emirates about 'protecting your return flight' and what was their response?

Why on earth didn't you replace your passport between August when you travelled to Ibiza and mid October?