New Post Advanced Search

18 y/o NEET needs help

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
16 replies 1.8K views
2»

Replies

• Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the others about getting a job...however, while you're looking, don't forget to pull your weight at home. Don't just "sit around all day", help your mum at EVERY opportunity. Running a household takes up many hours "work", so there is always something to be done!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • sazaccountsazaccount Forumite
    500 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    NotSoNeat wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just applied for 2 volunteering roles with my local council, and I am now getting in contact with the Prince's Trust. My priority right now is to build up my confidence and get in shape so that I can join the army as an electrician.

Not sure if this will help in your situation or if you have the starting funds (or if you can swim) but if your looking to get into shape and for work have a look around your local pools for a lifeguarding qualification course you don't need to be really "fit" for the course I've seen a guy go from non swimmer to lifeguard in the matter of weeks, the course is around 300 but once your qualified work especially over the summer is there, most pools also give you free access to the gym. My younger brother has like 0 confidence in new situations and is thriving as a lifeguard even if I did write his CV complete most of the job application and drive him to the interview (I'm pretty sure he would of got me to do the interview if that was possible as well :rotfl:)

Or if you have a local facebook group for your town put up a post asking if there is any work going if your not too fussed what you do while waiting for the military to get back to you/training for the fitness.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • skint_chickskint_chick Forumite
    806 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have you looked at college for electrician type courses - if this is what you'd like to do as a career then it might be better to go to college and try an electrician's course in September before you're 19 and have to pay for it. You would then get a student card and get discount on the gym membership too. It wouldn't be the same as A Levels because you would have a genuine interest in the subject and it would give you practical skills and maybe you could find a local electrician who was willing to let you shadow them and learn that way.

If you don't know what to do for a job then maybe working in a takeaway answering the phones and taking orders, working part-time in a shop, something that will pay for your phone/gym/give your mum some money for food and bills while you figure out your steps to joining the army.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • PotbellypigPotbellypig Forumite
    659 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Further education isn't for everyone. It certainly wasn't for me. Park that bus for now.

But don't beat yourself up about it. Retail, warehouses, production lines are all jobs that you can get without the need for qualifications or experience. Getting a job like that will help with your mental health as you'll have a structured day/week to plan your life around. Exercise will really help too.

Good luck.
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NotSoNeat wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just applied for 2 volunteering roles with my local council, and I am now getting in contact with the Prince's Trust. My priority right now is to build up my confidence and get in shape so that I can join the army as an electrician.

Well, the army certainly won't allow you to sit around all day!

If it helps, One of my best mates at school joined the RAF as an electrician apprenticeship when he dropped out of his A Levels, was always getting into trouble and didn't have a clue what to do with his life. It really was the making of him - he served all around the world and worked his way up to be a senior engineer on the Eurofighter. He's now retired from the RAF and has a good job with an engineering firm.
  • edited 19 July 2019 at 11:16AM
    RedfordMLRedfordML Forumite
    797 posts
    edited 19 July 2019 at 11:16AM
    How about a supermarket job?

Ideal "first" job, you learn plenty of skills, including communication and teamwork.

Also, ive always found them to great for socials.

I would then look at an ACCESS course at College? Plenty of options but not as academically challenging as A Levels but can open up future options. (If you decide against Army)

Combining the two, could also be a option?

gl.