Empty bottles taken off people in security

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
42 replies 3.8K views

Replies

• zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this water bottles just thrown in the tray, or water bottles inside a bag? If the former, they probably just assumed it was rubbish rather than "confiscating" it. I always put everything in bags or zipped jacket pockets when going through security, mainly so I don't lose anything, and never had a problem with empty bottles.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    But people do not like to get to the airport early and deal with any problems do they?

More the likely answer, no time to argue.

Actually, I do like to get to the airport early because that means I've had a straight forward trip from home to the airport. I always build in extra time to get to the airport, but it's only actually been 'used' on a couple of occasions due to traffic problem. That way there is time to deal with any problem. Once through security I can then relax.
  • Carrot007 wrote: »
    But people do not like to get to the airport early and deal with any problems do they?

More the likely answer, no time to argue.
    I tend to arrive just in time to fly, so yes, I’d have no time to argue, but even we’re I early I’d not bother. Anyone incompetent and petty enough to take a plastic water bottle off me is not likely to understand why they are wrong, or to apologise and return it, so I’d rather pass through and buy a new one.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    We're getting this story third-hand so I'm reserving judgement.

Me too

I have been through 6 airports this year with an empty plastic water bottle without any issue
  • amersallamersall Forumite
    16.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I flew emirates from Manchester through Dubai to Melbourne in Feb, no problem with empty bottles at either airport there or back and I had 3 empty bottles.

• SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    With me, I am flying to Catania, Sicily in Sept and from just searching there are no water fountains available past security
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With me, I am flying to Catania, Sicily in Sept and from just searching there are no water fountains available past security

From which airport?

The link I gave in post #4 - although specifically about Manchester Airport - states:

The UK’s third largest airport has signed up to a scheme called Refill, a national City to Sea initiative backed by local water company, United Utilities.
    It means passengers can refill their water bottles at any of the 33 outlets across the airport’s three terminals. This is in addition to water fountains that are already located in both arrivals and the departure lounges.
    Maybe the unspecified airport you're flying from has also signed up to the scheme.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    From which airport?

The link I gave in post #4 - although specifically about Manchester Airport - states:

Maybe the unspecified airport you're flying from has also signed up to the scheme.

I'm flying from Manchester. Yes I know the outlets are letting passengers fill their own bottles, but I am not risking having an empty bottle confiscated at security. Out of those who had their bottles taken off them, one was swigging what was left in their bottle whilst in the queue in security. Maybe the security personnel saw this and before taking it off them, look to see if its empty or perhaps the little drop of water left was the tipping point,

For many, including me, the problem is when returning home as the foreign airports don't seem to have any facilities to fill up own bottles with water
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is there to risk? You are allowed to take an empty bottle through.

If they stop you, ask to speak to their boss.

If they still insist (which they wont), buy a bottle of water from Boots for a quid, I know this is a money saving site but come on, spending a quid on a bottle of water from Boots to drink and then refill isnt going to require an overdraft extension is it?

I think your friends arent telling you the whole story.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ibut I am not risking having an empty bottle confiscated at security.
    The risk of losing possession of am empty plastic water bottle..?? That seems an astounding level of risk aversion..!
    Evolution, not revolution