Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Change of heart on keeping maiden name - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Change of heart on keeping maiden name

22 replies 9.1K views

Replies

• LadystLadyst Forumite
    2 posts
    Alternatively, get your other half update his married name to yours and you don't have to worry about ANY of the paperwork!
  • AtaralasAtaralas Forumite
    1 posts
    We double barrelled for this reason. We want kids, I love my maiden name and dislike his. He is the last male on his side so wanted to carry on the name. We compromised and actually double barrelled I love it. We had no problems changing both our names, literally just took marriage certificate anywhere we needed to change and stated what the new surname is, as long as it is either one of the names on certificate or double barrelled it's fine. Only if you wanted someone completely different would you need to go through a bit more work.

My sister kept her maiden name for about 6 years because as a professional she was well known by maiden name, eventually she changed it as she wanted to match her husband, just did the same thing took marriage certificate to banks etc and changed it.

I'm still known by maiden name for some places because it's impossible to change your name without going through a lot of hoops especially as legally I can be any of three surnames.
  • edited 17 July 2019 at 1:38PM
    Brigantia4444Brigantia4444 Forumite
    5 posts
    edited 17 July 2019 at 1:38PM
    Why should YOU have to change your name - you are not his property to be labelled! Let him change his surname to yours if you want to be a single-surname household. (Or double-barrel it).
    If the day comes when you decide the marriage is over and go your separate ways, let him have all the hassle and deed-poll paperwork to change it back if he wants to.
  • Oh, and always - ALWAYS - keep your individual finances separate. Yes, have a joint account for household bills - but never, EVER, mix your income completely in with his as that is a recipe for problems/resentment/financial disaster in the future. Keep your own bank account separate, and set up direct debits/Standing Orders, etc. to send money from it to the household account to pay your 50% of the bills. (If household 'extras' are needed/wanted then there is a lot to be said for retaining the power to make your own considered decision on this, rather than the spouse just spending the money from dipping into an unregulated joint account without your agreeing to it or discussing it). Grown-up discussions on finance. Yes, do commit to the marriage, but don't throw away your autonomy! Word to the wise.
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can chancge your name any time you like
    You can give your baby whatever name you like - it does not have to be the same as your s or your husband's.

So you could register the baby with your maidenname as their surname instread of your husband's surname, or give the baby a double barrelled name, or whatever you prefer.

have you discussed this with your husband? Maybe he could take your name so that all three of you have the same name?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford123 wrote: »
    I got married 6 years ago and decided to keep my maiden name, but now that we've had a baby I'm having a change of heart about it but don't know if it's too late to take my husband's name.

I've updated myself to Mrs 'Maiden name' on my mortgage, as well most areas of life showing my marriage certificate where necessary.

Does anyone happen to know if I can still change my name? I need to register the baby soon but don't have any ID in my married name, or know if I'd be allowed to change it at this point anyway (& even if I need ID in my married name to register the birth). Any advice would be appreciated :)

Literally you can change your name when ever you want and as often as you want.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should YOU have to change your name - you are not his property to be labelled! Let him change his surname to yours if you want to be a single-surname household. (Or double-barrel it). - Because she wants to? Take your militant feminism elsewhere
    If the day comes when you decide the marriage is over and go your separate ways, let him have all the hassle and deed-poll paperwork to change it back if he wants to.

Yes because the biggest hassle in divorce is the name change...
    Oh, and always - ALWAYS - keep your individual finances separate. Yes, have a joint account for household bills - but never, EVER, mix your income completely in with his as that is a recipe for problems/resentment/financial disaster in the future. - really?... Keep your own bank account separate, and set up direct debits/Standing Orders, etc. to send money from it to the household account to pay your 50% of the bills. - you cant set up direct debits to do that - it does say a lot about the quality of advice you are able to provide though :) (If household 'extras' are needed/wanted then there is a lot to be said for retaining the power to make your own considered decision on this, rather than the spouse just spending the money from dipping into an unregulated joint account without your agreeing to it or discussing it). - nothing in the post suggests they have this type of relationship Grown-up discussions on finance. Yes, do commit to the marriage, but don't throw away your autonomy! Word to the wise.

I'd get banned for providing a more indepth reply, so i'll say this - your post is unhelpful to the OP who WANTS to change her surname.

Some people like tradition.
  • kangoorakangoora Forumite
    979 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and always - ALWAYS - keep your individual finances separate. Yes, have a joint account for household bills - but never, EVER, mix your income completely in with his as that is a recipe for problems/resentment/financial disaster in the future. Keep your own bank account separate, and set up direct debits/Standing Orders, etc. to send money from it to the household account to pay your 50% of the bills. (If household 'extras' are needed/wanted then there is a lot to be said for retaining the power to make your own considered decision on this, rather than the spouse just spending the money from dipping into an unregulated joint account without your agreeing to it or discussing it). Grown-up discussions on finance. Yes, do commit to the marriage, but don't throw away your autonomy! Word to the wise.
    We've had a joint account for 30 years and never a problem.

Looks like you had a bad experience but it doesn't neccessarily follow that everyone else will have the same issues.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our finances have been joint for 51 years with no problems.
  • ArchergirlArchergirl Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just remember to match holiday tickets to passport name lol........