Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 19 June 2019 at 11:44AM in Old Style MoneySaving
171 replies 15K views

Replies

• edited 15 July 2019 at 1:48PM
    PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July 2019 at 1:48PM
    Hi All

After multiple failed attempts over the years, on Thursday I finally cracked Baked Camembert and thought I’d share the recipe.

Recipe for Baked Camembert

Ingredients per Person:

1 Camembert (must be in a wooden box not cardboard)
    1 clove garlic, sliced into slivers.
    Approximately half a baguette, sliced

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
    2. Remove all the wrappings from the Camembert. Return it to the base of the box and put the base inside the lid, for extra support.
    3. Score the top of the Camembert with a sharp knife, in a cross hatch. Insert slivers of garlic into the slashes.
    4. Drizzle over with Extra-Virgin Olive Oil.
    5. Repeat the above with the remaining Camembert.
    6. Place on a tray and bake at 180C for 30 minutes.
    7. To Serve: leave the Camembert in its box when you plate up. Serve with crusty slices of bread for dipping.

Notes:

[LIST=2]
    [*]It is important not to over cook the Camembert because when overcooked, it solidifies again.
    [*]You can insert sprigs of thyme or other herbs when you’re inserting the garlic.
    [*]The above is for a main course. For a romantic starter, share one Camembert between two.
    [/LIST]

- Pip

ETA - apparently, Camembert works well in the microwave. Zap for 2 minutes instead of baking in the oven.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 40/66 coupons spent. 26 remain.
  • pamsdishpamsdish Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    I'm mostly fully recovered. No longer in pain - thankfully - #TheUniverseIsWithinUs #Innit - anywho enough of that
    Fantastic news Save Dosh, just proves that mind over matter and staying positive can work.xxx:T:T
    2018 £2285/£2149, 2019 £2000, 2020 £2000, Spend Jan -Sept £1006.52
    JAN £153.45 FEB £100.14 MARCH £138.87 APRIL £53.87 MAY £67.02 JUNE £122.21 JULY £104.92 AUGUST £99.38 SEPTEMBER £166.66
    OCTOBER £166.66-£27.52=£139.14-£9.90=£129.24-£8.71=£120.53-£6.51=£114.02
  • pamsdishpamsdish Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Saved the camembert tip thanks Pip, spent £25 over weekend, nothing needed whatsoever until next weekend. Although sister visiting Thursday which usually involves a visit to Morries as she doesn`t like the one near her.
    2018 £2285/£2149, 2019 £2000, 2020 £2000, Spend Jan -Sept £1006.52
    JAN £153.45 FEB £100.14 MARCH £138.87 APRIL £53.87 MAY £67.02 JUNE £122.21 JULY £104.92 AUGUST £99.38 SEPTEMBER £166.66
    OCTOBER £166.66-£27.52=£139.14-£9.90=£129.24-£8.71=£120.53-£6.51=£114.02
  • edited 14 July 2019 at 10:12AM
    JingsMyBucketJingsMyBucket Forumite
    474 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 14 July 2019 at 10:12AM
    Morning everyone and happy Sunday. I’m posting on a train down to London. I’ve been doing hit and run posting as well lately simply to get back in the habit of recording. I took some time to read more today.

@thriftwizard what’s jam sugar? Is it somewhere between regular sugar crystals confectioner’s sugar? I know there’s crystalline sugar so maybe that’s it?

@CRANKY40 reading your post about you and the House Troll working out together really made me smile warmly. It highlights what a good bond you have because teenagers don’t make life easy! :) Oh and definitely post recipes; I also tend to do it because I figure it may help others as well.

@Save Dosh I’m so happy you’re okay! Believe it or not I was thinking about you lately and wondering if you were okay. I’m so glad you’re recovering with such alacrity. Congratulations and take care of yourself. You’re a valuable poster here and you’ve been missed. :)

@Suffolk Lass thanks for the heads up about sunscreen. I need to buy some this week, likely in Boots.

Also, does anyone know any stores that sell travel sized detergent? You know, good for 2 – 4 washes and likely in small bottle or envelope. I’m thinking of giving the big Boots on Oxford St in London a try since they likely cater to travelers. For my monthlong trip I was planning to take some washing pods with me but OH used all of them without me realizing it! Even the 5 pods I had set aside in a separate plastic baggie to take with me; and there’s a giant jug of liquid detergent we’ve been using simultaneously too. I just discovered this last night while packing. Men... :rotfl:
    APRIL 2020 GC: $97.42/$300.00 // 3/12 NSD
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pip you've made me want Camembert. Luckily I'm off to work in a minute so no chance today :)

Today's meals (I'm trying to use up what I have in the freezer)

Breakfast - Bacon roll for the HT, bacon and egg on toast for me

Lunch - Ham roll with a sprinkle of grated cheese for the HT with mini sausage rolls and a packet of crisps. I'm taking some satsumas to work. If I'm lucky I may get to eat one.

Dinner - chicken breast (already cooked portion liberated from freezer this morning) with veg, roasties and gravy for HT, RTC lemon and parmesan chicken (M&S, bought by friend, been in the freezer for a while) with veg and roasties for me. There's 2 portions of my chicken so guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow :rotfl:

Supper - ham wrap for HT, home made hob nob and a packet of quavers for me.

Thank you to the folks that have commented on my intentions. It's about helping others see how to keep the grocery spend low while eating as well as possible I think. That's why we have the recipe index. In days gone by Pip's recipe would have been added to the index but I've no idea how it was done.....
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • JingsMyBucketJingsMyBucket Forumite
    474 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of spends to report for Friday and this morning. Saturday was a NSD. Friday morning I was running errands pre-trip and bought a few things for the trip and to replenish for OH.

£11.10 at Waitrose for toilet paper, 2x balls of mozzarella, 3x individual yoghurts, and a net of snack cheddar sticks (for the trip).

£7.30 at M & S for sliced ham, oat cakes, chocolate covered rice cakes, and compostable kitchen bags that we use for our small food compost bin.

£3.00 at Superdrug for 2 cans of smaller sized Dove deodorant. They're having a good sale on those now if anybody wants to stock up. They normally would have cost £6.18 but they were 2 for £3. I'm going to hot places this month so definitely need it.

£6.75 at the train station M & S this morning for water, a wrap and blackberries.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    £194.08/£300 and €0/€200
    5/12 NSD

I'm going to count all my grocery store food on my trip this next month toward the GC because I need and want to keep track. When I get to London later today I'll buy some small bits to keep in the fridge of my AirBnB for the next couple of days. Have a good Sunday everyone! :j
    APRIL 2020 GC: $97.42/$300.00 // 3/12 NSD
  • dan958dan958 Forumite
    670 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »
    1 week into my first monthly budgeting challenge. I set myself a goal of £120 for the month, and I have spent £7.20 so far. £112.80 left for 3 more weeks.

Week 2 down. I spent much more than the first week, but I had to buy some items that will last a long time. I spent £17.82 in week 2, which is still way under the £30 a week I budget for myself.

£25.02 in total out of £120, and halfway through the month. I think I over-estimated my initial budget. Everything I don't spend is something extra that goes into savings.
  • edited 14 July 2019 at 12:56PM
    Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 July 2019 at 12:56PM
    Thank you very much people for your kind words.

RECIPE (KINDA)

I don't normally eat breakfast, as I mostly intermittant fast, but I go out for Sunday Roast and it's normally late afternoon. This couldn't really be called a recipe, but its tasty and really low calorie - about 170 cals.

Creamy Cheezy Mushrooms on Toast (Vegan)

2 wholemeal bread - toasted (Warburtons small ones are 55 cals each)
    Handful of mushrooms
    Splodge of plant milk - i used soya
    Heaped Tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast - for a cheezy flavour (30 cals)
    Garlic & French Mustard (optional)

I normally dry fry the mushrooms in a pan, to save on calories, but added 10 sprays of fry light instead. If your not counting calories, butter is nice. Add the milk, nutritional yeast, garlic n half a teaspoon of french mustard. You might need a dusting of something to thicken.
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Save Dosh, that's my lunch for tomorrow decided then. I have nutritional yeast to try because I wanted to see if it was something that my best mate would like. He has a dairy allergy and I've managed to make a lot of things that he likes (cake and biscuit wise) using dairy free milk and spread but a cheese tasting sauce would be very handy.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Hi All

After multiple failed attempts over the years, on Thursday I finally cracked Baked Camembert and thought I’d share the recipe.

Recipe for Baked Camembert

Ingredients per Person:

1 Camembert (must be in a wooden box not cardboard)
    1 clove garlic, sliced into slivers.
    Approximately half a baguette, sliced

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
    2. Remove all the wrappings from the Camembert. Return it to the base of the box and put the base inside the lid, for extra support.
    3. Score the top of the Camembert with a sharp knife, in a cross hatch. Insert slivers of garlic into the slashes.
    4. Drizzle over with Extra-Virgin Olive Oil.
    5. Repeat the above with the remaining Camembert.
    6. Place on a tray and bake at 180C for 30 minutes.
    7. To Serve: leave the Camembert in its box when you plate up. Serve with crusty slices of bread for dipping.

Notes:

[LIST=2]
    [*]It is important not to over cook the Camembert because when overcooked, it solidifies again.
    [*]You can insert sprigs of thyme or other herbs when you’re inserting the garlic.
    [*]The above is for a main course. For a romantic starter, share one Camembert between two.
    [/LIST]

- Pip

Sounds great Pip! I copy my DS's method and just nuke mine in the microwave for 2 minutes and dip corn chips or veg sticks in - such a lazy snack!

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £8,405.49/£15,000 56.04%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £51,020/£59,998 or 85.05% paid after Q6
    My Debt Free Diary is Get a grip Woman