edited 12 July 2021 at 11:38AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
7K replies 448.6K views

Replies

• Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    13.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Piddles wrote: »
    It has bothered me since you mentioned Ecotricity's 5,000 grass aerobic digester plan that the fields were going to be sown by diesel tractor, fertilized by diesel tractor with FF fertilizers, harvested by diesel tractors and transported to their nearest digester by diesel tractor....

I might be being a bit 'free and loose' on this issue, but I'm really not concerned as the switch to BEV's is almost unstoppable now, and battery tractors already exist, plus short range BEV trucks are a doddle.

But, there's more, then consider the potential for farms to generate leccy both from PV and wind, so more clean generation and enormous on-site storage.

[Then ....... (can't stop myself) consider the savings from buying multiple cordless tools but just a couple of batt packs, well apply that to farming machinery and large scale batt packs, perhaps one or two in use and one charging, plus the heavy plant and human skills of the farmers able to 'easily' swap out batt packs.]

But my imagination aside, I'm extremely confident that short range heavy plant will go electric as it's simply so, so much better, tonnes of torque, cheaper, no range anxiety issues. Plus, for much larger diesel vehicles like mining trucks and trains, they are already electric, with the diesel engines just operating as generators ..... and even that's starting to change!

So I think that issue can be more or less ticked in the medium term.

John Deere’s first fully electric tractor sounds like a jet engine

Analysis: Is electric technology set to kill off diesel tractors?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    13.2K Posts
    Forumite
    As I'm not a black female American, and thus lack any style whatsoever, I'll now make a fool of myself saying "you go girl", but it is at least heartfelt. :T

'Biggest compliment yet': Greta Thunberg welcomes oil chief's 'greatest threat' label

I guess they are now taking her (and 'the yuff') very seriously .... stage 3 perhaps!

First they ignore you.
    Then they laugh at you.
    Then they fight you.
    Then you win.

And some PV news, but I think it's more general regarding green tech, and not a recommendation, just a note that we can invest in renewables outside of our own property, and if feeling particularly adventurous, even outside of our country/continent.

Solar power: how investing can help to change lives

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    See the discussion here considering 'Energise Africa' as an investment: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6022330
    Reed
  • edited 7 July 2019 at 7:22AM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    13.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2019 at 7:22AM
    This might be good news for UK RE, or at least nuclear subsidy savings, or ....... nothing?

France asks for independent audit of EDF's Flamanville nuclear plant

Totally guessing here, but if Flamanville commissioning is delayed past 31st Dec 2020, then the UK can change loan guarantees on HPC, which might get interesting?

That's the reason Flamanville is/was to be completed with the faulty reactor lid, so as to meet commissioing deadlines before being shut back down for a few years.

Even if we do go ahead with some nuclear deal(s), I'd be very pleased if the £45bn subsidy HPC deal got changed or cancelled freeing up more monies for low subsidy RE instead.

Edit - Realised that that all sounds a bit vague, so I've found a paper covering the cost issues for HPC. I don't know if Professor Steve Thomas is anti-nuclear or not, so read with an open mind, but the executive summary contains a lot of information and section 3.5 (page 6) covers the loan guarantees.

Time to Cancel Hinkley?
    Professor Steve Thomas
    Emeritus Professor of Energy Policy
    University of Greenwich
    September 2017

• NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    And some PV news, but I think it's more general regarding green tech, and not a recommendation, just a note that we can invest in renewables outside of our own property, and if feeling particularly adventurous, even outside of our country/continent.
    Don't forget, https://www.rippleenergy.com/ where one will be able to buy part of a wind farm. They reckon it will cost about a quarter of the Solar price, and, if you move house the benefits will move with you.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Totally guessing here, but if Flamanville commissioning is delayed past 31st Dec 2020, then the UK can change loan guarantees on HPC, which might get interesting?
    Worst case scenario, we fork out £28Billion for defaulting. Thereby saving about £60Billion on what would be the eventual cost of HPC. No doubt Z will put me right on the actual numbers. Please?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • edited 7 July 2019 at 1:58PM
    markinmarkin Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2019 at 1:58PM
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Don't forget, https://www.rippleenergy.com/ where one will be able to buy part of a wind farm. They reckon it will cost about a quarter of the Solar price, and, if you move house the benefits will move with you.

Seems a bit risky to me, its a start up hoping to get past planning when even the big boys struggle, they will spend a fortune just fighting planning and then may bust before getting a single one up.

£5 per "share" and seems fixed at that price, and no clue given to the cost of the "Wattage" Fee.

UK wind ownership platform Ripple Energy seeks start-up funds

A platform through which householders can club together and co-own UK wind farms is seeking GBP750,000 ($984,000) of crowdfunding, company founder Sarah Merrick told S&P Global Platts Monday. Ripple Energy is raising for funds in return for a 23.21% stake in the platform, which is to offer shares in wind farms for as little as GBP1,300, compared to the GBP5,500 cost of solar panels for a typical home's electricity demand... read more in S&P Global

Who owns the wind farm?

You do! Ownership is democratic. You will become a member of the Community Benefit Society (CBS) which owns the wind farm. Every member will pay £5 and hold one share in the CBS. You will also pay a ‘Wattage’ contribution towards the cost of buying and building the wind farm, plus Ripple’s one off arrangement fee. The Wattage payment will vary between projects as each project will have slightly different costs (depending on which turbines can be used, whether new access roads need to be built and what it costs to connect to the grid).

What sort of share in the CBS will I get?

CBS shares will all be withdrawable but non-transferable. This means you cannot sell your share to someone else.

What if I want to withdraw my share?

You will be able to request to withdraw your share at any time via your customer dashboard. This will terminate your membership of the CBS and your electricity supply agreement. Equally, if you terminate your electricity supply agreement, this will automatically terminate your membership of the CBS. Either way, you will receive your £5 payment for your CBS share back. Ripple will also calculate any residual value of Wattage payments made to the CBS towards the construction of the wind farm. The residual value of your Wattage payment will be calculated as follows:

Initial wattage payment x (1- number of years of operation / (Years of expected operating life – 5 years))

This means if you withdraw your shares 5 years into the wind farm’s expected 25 year operating life you would be entitled to receive 75% of your Wattage payment back. If you withdraw your shares 15 years into the wind farm’s 25 year operating life you would be entitled to receive back 25% of your initial Wattage payment. Repayment of the balance of your Wattage payment will be explained to you more fully and will be subject to the terms and conditions of your supply arrangements when you become a member of the CBS.

How does Ripple make money from the CBS?

Ripple will charge an arrangement fee when members sign up to the CBS. This will be based on a small % of the member’s Wattage contribution. Ripple will also charge the CBS a monthly management fee once the wind farm is operational to cover the services detailed above. The management fee will be at a market rate and will form part of the operating cost of the wind farm. Members do not need to pay the monthly management fee as the CBS will pay this. Ripple will also charge its supply partners an acquisition fee for each new customer that switches to a Ripple tariff.

• zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Worst case scenario, we fork out £28Billion for defaulting. Thereby saving about £60Billion on what would be the eventual cost of HPC. No doubt Z will put me right on the actual numbers. Please?
    Hi

That raises timing issues, however much of them could be offset by the monetary value being index linked ....

.... I wouldn't be too surprised if the main factors requiring focus will be linked to the impact of Brexit, particularly currency swings and how the UK reacts regarding carbon credits & trading - If the UK leaves the European trading scheme whilst becoming a centre of high proportion clean energy generation, then where does the funding for the initial creation of carbon credits for the nuclear industry come from? .... unlike taking the EU as a single entity for cross-subsidies, you can't successfully tax high emissions generation to subsidise low emissions in an environment where there is little/no fossil fuel based generation .... for someone like EDF this is a serious worry and they have referred to it deep in the detail of their latest strategic statement ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • edited 7 July 2019 at 2:21PM
    zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2019 at 2:21PM
    markin wrote: »
    Seems a bit risky to me, its a start up hoping to get past planning when even the big boys struggle, they will spend a fortune just fighting planning and then may bust before getting a single one up.

£5 per "share" and seems fixed at that price, and no clue given to the cost of the "Wattage" Fee.
    Hi

Agree, but that misses the fundamental advantage of smaller distributed schemes - local inclusivity ... something like free shares or free/subsidised energy for the local population can easily swing local opinion for such schemes to a degree where the planning authority must be seen to take note of the combination of planning law, guidelines and local opinion as opposed to national lobby groups that currently tend to garner local opposition and employ it to forward their own national/international agenda under a localism banner! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
    13.2K Posts
    Forumite

Also Abundance, where you can invest very small amounts. I'm in hydro, several PV and wind farms, and some AD too.

I know these are financial investments, but to me I kinda think of them as generation (for my money) on top off my PV, so hopefully covering carbon emissions 100% of the time, as well as net 100%.

But as always, worth remembering that you can lose your money, hence my 'goat' joke about the African solar scheme - might be best to see it as a gift, then a pleasant surprise if you get the money back.